Author Topic: Solids and milk feeds at 6 months  (Read 1968 times)

Offline snhill

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • Becoming Madre
Solids and milk feeds at 6 months
« on: July 06, 2013, 17:39:42 pm »
So I've tried reading all the posts with a similar topic but I feel like my situation is unique and requires a whole new post  :) but if a different post will answer my question just send me over there

Here's my problem. I have a 6.5 month old who's been on solids about one month now. We stated her on rice cereal then moved to veggies and are recently starting fruit.

Her ped is worried about weight gain. Here's her fain from birth..

Birth 6lbs3
1: 7lbs11
2: 9lbs11
3: 11lbs
4: 11lbs12
5: 12lbs2
6: 12lbs12

As far as I can tell milk supply isn't a concern.

My per didn't even ask about that though. She said to move LO to 5 meals a day. As far as I knew 6 month old were supposed to be at 2 meals a day MAXIMUM

She also said to offer before milk feeds but that goes against all nursing advice I've ever heard... but I don't know and no one close to me breastfed.

So can anyone provide me a sample schedule of what worked for them in a *kind of* similar situation? 

Anything would b helpful. Im at a loss here!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Solids and milk feeds at 6 months
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 20:59:12 pm »
Well, I can tell you that what my LOs were doing at 6 months would be totally opposite to what your ped suggested.  All 3 of mine were only eating breakfast at that age and that was an hour after milk feeds.  We were nursing roughly every 4 hours (most likely around 7, 11, 3, and 7) and doing a dream feed -- 2 of my 3 also had a night feed at that age as well -- so 5/6 breast feeds and one small meal of solids about an hour after the first breast feed.  Confused as to why she would advise more solids if weight gain was an issue as the solids would likely cause her to take in less milk -- and breast milk is much richer in fat and calories.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Solids and milk feeds at 6 months
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 07:05:25 am »
As far as I knew 6 month old were supposed to be at 2 meals a day MAXIMUM
People who do BLW (finger foods rather than puree) might offer more than 2 meals in a day at this age, it really depends on what LO is ready for and interested in.  The meals are not huge though, might be tastes alongside the family meals at the regular times, breakfast, lunch, dinner.  Mine was very interested in solids and we moved to 3 meals per day rapidly but at no loss to milk intake and certainly not in an attempt to gain weight or risk reduced milk feeds.
I didn't give solids before milk, ever.  IMO this route is only advisable if your LO is approaching 12 months and not taking much in the way of solids, not something to be done at only 6 months!
I formula fed but the feed times were similar, 7, 11, 3, 6.30 and a DF.
If anything I would more likely skip the rice cereal as the rice isn't adding anything to diet and agree with Erin that solids can cause her to take less milk which is the more important food right now.  If weight is an issue I'd cut the solids right back and increase milk feeds.

Did your LO have an illness and go off food for a little while at any point? This can be the cause of a bit of weight 'loss' (not exactly loss but not gaining quite as much as might be expected) and they can take some time to get it back on again.