Author Topic: Please, please help!  (Read 1330 times)

Offline FrankiesMom12

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 10, 2013, 01:30:07 am »
My husband and I desperately need help. I have been breast feeding for 8 months, and I was diagnosed with lyme disease today. I need to be on medication for 3 weeks, and I cannot breastfeed during this time.  My son refuses a bottle and seems to find formula abhorrent. We don't know what to do because the little guy needs to eat but he just screams and screams when we try to feed him.  My husband and I feel so awful and we don't know what to do!  Please help!!!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Please, please help!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 02:07:18 am »
Hi sweetie, big ((((hugs))))
Are you on the medication already and he is refusing the bottles?  Or are you trying to get him to take the bottle before you start the medication?  Will you go back to nursing after, or are you going to wean him to the bottle for good? 

There are lots of suggestions in this thread right here: Breastfed babies and bottles -- hopefully something there will help you -- in the meantime, I'd take comfort in the fact that he's not going to let himself starve and will eventually take the bottle, though you might have a rough time getting him there. 

Do you have any pumped milk?  Some moms have success mixing breast milk and formula to start with and then reducing the amount of breast milk. 

Is he eating solids?  Does he take water from a cup?  When my dd2 was 8 months old she was in day care all day and wouldn't take any sort of breast milk/formula from a bottle/cup/etc but she did drink some water so we knew that she wasn't going to get dehydrated.  I know your situation is more serious, but if he at least took some water you wouldn't have to worry quite as much about dehydration.

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: Please, please help!
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 04:00:31 am »
How is it going??