Author Topic: 11 week old baby girl waking up at 3am, 4am, 5am HELP!  (Read 3856 times)

Offline ladyboz

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
11 week old baby girl waking up at 3am, 4am, 5am HELP!
« on: July 10, 2013, 13:37:02 pm »
Hi!
I have a very textbook baby. She sleeps, eats, and has great activity time during the day. She literally sticks to the routine perfectly. I sometimes have to wake her to eat on schedule, but that's it! However, lately she's been waking up/grunting at odd times in the early morning. I'll go in her room, give her a paci, reswaddle if she's got her arms out, and walk out. She'll usually soothe herself back to sleep, but then the whole thing happens again 30 minutes later. She has been sleeping through the night since 6 weeks (8pm-6:30am) only waking once at 4am for a feed. But for the past 3 weeks she started sleeping through that 4am feed and waking at 7am! But, now she's doing these odd wake up times (past week and I want to nip it in the bud before bad habits start forming). I'm not sure if it's a hunger issue since she's been sleeping through the night. I only did the dream feed a couple of times as she would only eat for 5 mins and throw up and would be very fussy. Oh, she has started not wanting to take the late afternoon nap. I try to get her to get in at least a 30 min catnap at least at 5:30. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!! I should mention that my baby girl is ebf and is gaining weight wonderfully!

7:00 E
7:30 A
8:30 S
10:00 E
10:30 A
11:30 S
1:00 E
1:30 A
2:30 S
4:00 E
4:30 A
5:30 S (try!)
6:00 A
7:00 E/bath
7:45 top up and in crib by 8:00pm
She had been sleeping till 6:30am for the past few weeks, but now is doing the odd wake ups.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 13:49:30 pm by ladyboz »

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
Re: 11 week old baby girl waking up at 3am, 4am, 5am HELP!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 08:42:40 am »
The fact that she has been STTN before doesn't mean that she will not have NW anymore, which are still ok and normal to have at this age. If you want to be sure that the NW are not due to hunger then I would try and feed her when she first wakes up at 3 and see if she keeps on waking up.
Saying that, for us the early morning NW at this age with lots of grunting were wind related. Do you think that could be a possibility? That she is in discomfort? Are you burping her well after every feed?
Other than hunger and discomfort it could be that she is ready for some more A time. Not enough A time can cause NW.
But that would be the last place I'd look into because she is already doing a rather high A time for her age. If you look here: Average A times- BOOKMARK ME! you'd see that she is just about right and more A time can cause her to be OT if not cautious.
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/

Offline Violet's mom

• Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 00:32:17 am »
All I know is my LO was exactly the same until magically she woke up one day and wanted more food - oh Growth spurts are the bane of my existence!  Could it be a growth spurt?  BW suggests that random night wakings are caused by hunger.  Being that you EBF, I would think it was the case.  She might eat like crazy for 2 or 3 days and then go back to normal from my experience (vi is 5.5 months and we just finished a growth spurt).  As much as I hate to say it -she also needed a top up right before one of her naps during growth spurts.  And for us it did not become a habit.  Good luck!

**Tracy**

Offline ladyboz

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 22:18:52 pm »
Thank you so much for your replies! For the past few nights when she first wakes around 3:30ish or 4ish, I nurse her. She goes right back to sleep and doesnt wake till 7! It must have been a hunger issue. I don't mind the early morning feeding, I love the extra cuddle! lol Thanks ladies! :)

Offline Violet's mom

• Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 00:30:46 am »
Glad to hear its working out for you!  I don't mind the early am feeding either :)

**Tracy**

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 07:09:19 am »
Great!
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/

Offline Caitlyns Mum

• Showing Appreciation 1
  • Queensland, Australia
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 07:31:41 am »
We've just been through a week of frequent NFs and it threw me for a six! My DS is 14 weeks now and I suspect it was the 3 mth growth spurt. After having a good sleeper from so young, it must have been a rude shock :-)  Good to hear that things have settled down now.....until the next GS :-) Good luck!!
Jess