Author Topic: What do you feed a 10 month old with no teeth?  (Read 2531 times)

Offline momma.bear

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
What do you feed a 10 month old with no teeth?
« on: July 11, 2013, 00:46:46 am »
My DS has been rejecting the spoon for over a month now, so purees are out. So is yogurt, baby cereal, applesauce, all the easy to prepare stuff! I'm completely out of ideas for what to give him. Here's what we've tried:
Breakfast: won't eat pancakes or waffles, and any cereal bigger than the size of a cheerio he'll choke on. He's been eating toast, cheerios, and blueberries, raspberries, and grapes; that's pretty much it. I've tried other fruits like bananas, watermelon etc but they just get spit out. I've tried putting them in a mesh feeder too but he gets bored of that very quickly.
Lunch: usually toast with hummus and cheese, but lately he hasn't been fond of that so I've been doing toast with cream cheese
Dinner: small pasta noodles (big ones get spit out) mixed with bolognese sauce and sometimes another pureed vegetable snuck in. I've tried rice, quinoa, and barley but he hardly gets any in his mouth and it's sooo much work to clean up around him. And I've tried making them into little balls but it doesn't stick well. I'll sometimes give him peas and carrots as well, but it's hit or miss whether he'll eat them.
Snacks: cheese cubes, cheerios

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: What do you feed a 10 month old with no teeth?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 02:10:44 am »
Both my dd2 and my ds were pretty bound and determined to feed themselves at that age -- so I'd give him the yogurt and a spoon and put a large bib on him (or just strip him down) and see where he gets.  Sometimes if they are working with one spoon, you can sneak in some bites with another.

Will he eat avocado?  That's a good soft food that you can cut up into soft cubes. 

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 02:19:27 am »
Will he tolerate some spoonfuls from you if he also has a spoon or two? Sometimes if he's allowed to try he may let you sneak a few bites in. Or if he's holding onto a piece of toast or cracker or something and you are spooning something else?

Offline momma.bear

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 11:18:32 am »
I've tried banana pieces and they are too slippery, pretty sure avocado would do the same. But I can put avocado puree on his toast. I do try sneaking in a few spoonfuls while he's eating his toast/pasta etc. but it's not easy! And if I give him a spoon, food will be flung EVERYWHERE! He is a super aggressive guy...

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 13:07:37 pm »
You can roll the slippery foods in wheat germ or some crushed cheerios/corn flakes or something dry.

Can he do eggs? Scrambled they are pretty easy to eat.

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 13:23:29 pm »
My DS is 14.5 months and only has his 2 bottom teeth (didn't get them until close to 1yr) and also refused the spoon at 10 months. 

Pasta is always a huge hit, and still is.  What about something like potato cakes, or something else I used to make was broccoli & cheese cakes.  DS also loves steamed sweet potato cut into chunks (or any steamed veggie for that matter - asparagus, green beans, peas).  What about baked beans?  Nice and soft and sweet and packed with protein.  I also used to make meatballs, and he loved those for a while.  If he likes toast would he do grilled cheese?  Or we do all kinds of pizza's with lots of veggies - we make them on tortillas, english muffins, or with cressent rolls as a crust (works great because it's so soft).

I've tried banana pieces and they are too slippery, pretty sure avocado would do the same.
My DS had no issues with picking up avocado at 10 months, but someone mentioned crushing cheerios and coating them which I used to do with banana.

Can he do eggs? Scrambled they are pretty easy to eat.
This is also a great option.  My DS wasn't so sure about them the first few times, but loves them now.  Or you can make omelets with veggies & cheese.

Breakfast: won't eat pancakes or waffles
Have you tried putting fruit in the pancakes?  My DS isn't huge on plain pancakes, but LOVES blueberry ones.  Have you tried muffins?  DS like banana or I make ones with infant cereal topped w/ jam and those are good too.  French toast?

This is a great website I used to use when looking for ideas http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 13:31:19 pm by Lindsay27 »

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 22:13:12 pm »
Maybe he'd like a big hunk of meat or fish?
Honestly LOs don't need teeth to eat, they can manage just about anything (not whole nuts), their gums are very very hard.

Banana isn't slippery if you don't slice it, just give it whole (or snap in half if you don't want to waste the whole thing).  Crescent shapes are easier to pick up so if you slice the avocado into wedges you naturally get a crescent shape when the seed was removed, the 'bend' give a grip point even though the slice itself is somewhat slippery. The thing with slippery or trickier food to pick up also is that it is fantastic practice for their fine motor skills.

As he takes toast I would expand on the breads you offer to give his tastes a variation on something he already quite likes. Pitta bread, chapatti, flat bread, garlic bread, bread sticks... they all offer different textures and flavours.
What is he like with veg?  Steamed carrot batons, green beans, asparagus, sweet pepper stick; baked sweet potato wedges or potato chips (fries) baked pear or apple wedges; roast potatoes, turnips, carrots, beets.

Omelet is great for breakfast, or an oven cooked fritata with cheese and veg in.  Bean burgers or falafel are easy to pick up and very healthy.

My LO ate with a pre-loaded fork from 6 months (I started with a plastic fork at that age, and I held the back end of it not to feed him but to avoid any accidental stabbing, we had moved on to kid sized cutlery by 10 months so he had a 'real' fork) which is easier to eat with than a spoon.  Spoons actually take rather a lot of finesse to use (and a further development to the wrist action which LOs don't yet have), forks don't drop their load when tilted in the 'wrong' direction so are easier and really help with the slippery foods too.

Offline momma.bear

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 01:05:31 am »
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I'll definitely give them a try!