Author Topic: Gluten free, dairy free, egg free and nut free packed lunch ideas please!  (Read 2869 times)

Offline Jimbob

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
My ds who is 8 years old is now on a gluten free trial. He is already dairy, egg and nut free and I am finding packed lunch ideas difficult. Any ideas would be really welcome.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Rice/pasta/quinoa with meats and salads.

Hommous

Oat cakes or other gluten free crackers you can find

Soy yoghurts or fruit pots

That is about what olly lives off at lunch times now.

Was only thinking about posting for ideas yesterday!

Offline Canadian_Mom

• Showing Appreciation 15
This website is awesome http://www.lexieskitchen.com/lexies_kitchen/2012/9/3/allergy-friendly-school-lunches.html it links to a variety of websites with ideas for allergen free lunches.
The "easy kids lunchbox" seems to be a good link, and gluten free (I also love it when they provide pics!). I haven't looked through them all though!
-Nadia

Offline abbysmomma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 26
We do that exact same allergy set and are now three weeks into packed lunches. Can you get a hold of better batter mix? It's the best tasting, best textured, most workable dough I've used. It's pricey, so I only use it for ds' s packed lunches. I've made pigs in a blanket, pizza (hold the cheese), buns, cinnamon rolls. I also do rice crackers/safe meat/daiya cheese, though he's complained of the mess the shredded cheese makes. Left overs in a thermos (stir fry with rice, veggies/ground meat/rice vermicelli mix), chili and chips. I do have rice tortillas to make sandwiches, but they don't hold up at all and crumble really easily. Oddly enough I can't get corn tortillas here. Soups would be good, but too dang hot right now. I also tried sausage rolls, but the dough was terrible tasting (a new gf flour blend by robin hood). Salads with roast chicken, sushi rolls. Sunbutter and jam/honey on safe bread.
I have more, but can't think of them. Oh, daiya came out with cream cheese spreads - too bad my ds doesn't like it. That would be an easy lunch...

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
I have just found 2 kinds of rice noodles in my local organic shop shop so will not be experimenting with stir frys - they could be served as a cold salad.

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
Thank you for all the ideas. We have 7 weeks of school holidays to experiment now. Hopefully I can get his lunches more varied over this time.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker