Author Topic: Fitting in bottles and solids at 11 months  (Read 3350 times)

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • Gail
Fitting in bottles and solids at 11 months
« on: July 14, 2013, 19:02:17 pm »
I am struggling to get my baby to eat 3 meals and milk, she used to take it no problem but now we have issues.

If i do bottle on WU she refuses Breakfast, if  i do breakfast then bottle at 11 she refuses lunch, if i do breakfast, lunch, nap then bottle she refuses Dinner. But when i giver her the bottle she takes a full 8oz zo she is hungry. I just cant seem to get it right at the moment?

My beautiful spirited little angel

My angel baby girl

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Fitting in bottles and solids at 11 months
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 19:09:58 pm »
I think I would just stick with where you want the big milk drink(s) to continue when she is over 1yo.  I kept the morning bottle and BT bottle then when we dropped bottles kept morning big milk drink and a smaller milk drink at supper (no BT bottle or milk).  This means the biggest fluid intake is in the morning and can help with increasing bladder size which later helps with PTing.

Are you worried about the amount of milk/dairy she's taking?

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 20:34:00 pm »
The problem with the morning is she will only take about 4oz and no breakfast but if wait until 11 she will take 8oz but then wont take lunch. So if i do morning and BT she will only have about 12oz of milk a day she is a funny wee thing, i wasn't even thinking about P'ting when on earth do i start thinking about that?

My angel baby girl

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 21:05:04 pm »
Is she taking any dairy solids?  Sorry I don't remember if she is able to have cheese, yoghurt, custard etc.
If she is able to take dairy solids then tbh I wouldn't worry about her only having 12oz of milk per day.  All dairy solids count towards milk intake at this age so although milk is perhaps a little lower than you might want you can add to it with cubes of cheese, fromage frais, milky sauces or puddings etc.  It sounds to me like she is just not hungry enough to take more whether it's milk or solids and is just eating to her fill on either.  You might look at her solids across the day/week and see if there are any 'empty' foods which fill her up without adding much in the way of nutrition, I did this with my DS because although he eats well every mouthful counts so for example in our case it might have been cutting down on fruit even though it is healthy, to increase protein or dairy etc.  So for instance if she has 12oz of milk then a couple of oz of yoghurt, an oz or two of cheese in the day she'd be reaching the 16oz you are looking for.

Once she is 12 months 12oz of milk including milk used in food and dairy products is fine.  Mine dropped a bit under 12 months and I also discovered that the more dairy solids I gave him the less milk he would take, he was self regulating his dairy intake to his need, sometimes they are rather clever!

i wasn't even thinking about P'ting when on earth do i start thinking about that?
:) Sorry, didn't mean to scare you :)
Really it is up to you. The BW way is to start at 9 months, 11 months would be great if you want to nip out and buy a potty now ;)  There is a whole wide range of ages people start, the more recent trend in western countries is to wait until more like 2.5 or up to 3yo although many books/methods say 18 - 30 months.  I started mine at 10 months, it is a gradual process if you start younger and for me that was absolutely what suited us.  He had his first fully dry day at 16 months but I didn't stop using nappies altogether until he turned 2yo, I used to use a nappy when we went out but treated it like pants so he still asked and was offered the toilet when needed.  And I continued to use a nappy at night time until today.
There's no pressure, you do it when you feel ready and when you feel LO is ready, the regular 'signs of readiness' don't apply to the younger toddler in a gradual approach to PTing like Tracy suggested.  There are support threads for whichever age and stage you start.

Offline Emami

• Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 02:01:47 am »
Can you skip the morning bottle and do breakfast, lunch, bottle, nap, snack, dinner, evening bottle?  (From your post it looks like she is on one nap?). That way she's getting the meals in before milk but still has the option of bottles if she wants them?  I think she's close enough to one that it doesn't matter that her milk intake drops, especially as Creations says if she is getting dairy anyway.
Emma

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 06:15:15 am »
She is on a long am/ short pm nap. I have tried skipping the morning 1 and giving it before the nap but when she wakes she wont then eat her lunch. She's a funny wee thing.

Creations she is fine eating any dairy and normally has a couple of yoghurts and some cheese every day. She does eat quite alot of fruit so maybe i should cut that down a bit as she will only have a small amout of either lunch / dinner then eat quite a bit of fruit.

Thanks for the pting advice i think i will pop out and get a potty, i'll have a good look at the threads as i have no idea where to start.

My angel baby girl

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 07:06:43 am »
With the dairy solids she's getting I think you can relax with the milk a bit.  Sounds totally normal.  You do want to keep at least one good milk drink per day (and perhaps one smaller one) but I don't think there is a worry.  I had to be a bit strict about fruit a couple of times, he just expected lots so would hold out for it.  I made sure I always had something he liked (not fruit) to offer him in it's place so if for example he didn't eat much lunch then wanted fruit I offered maybe bread with cream cheese on or vegetables or whatever it was I felt he was lacking in his diet.  He did have a couple of little kick-offs about it but I stayed calm, validated his love of fruit by saying 'I know, fruit is lovely, you'd like to eat it all day' and explained that it was my job to ensure he had a balanced diet.  It only took 2 days to reduce his expectations for fruit and take more of his meals.  One very tasty way to offer dairy is to put a big dollop of cream cheese on top of a strawberry.

If you have baby whisperer solves all your problems there is a chapter on PTing from 9 months, following Tracy's guidance will be fine for 11 months :)  The only thing I would say is she was very keen on a step up chair to the main toilet, I tried to follow that and discovered a small potty (in the living room and in the bathroom) was very much needed for success.  I think the general agreement on the threads is to have a small potty too, it is so much easier for LO to sit on and become independent when they choose to (you would be surprised how interested a baby of 11 months can be in the process.  Mine was communicating almost instantly about his toilet need, not with words but other means of communication).  Enjoy it, it is such an amazing journey :)  There is an EC thread (elimination communication) which is too long to read through but it has our entire journey documented if you ever find yourself with several hours free! ha!

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 07:20:29 am »
She loves strawberries so i will try that. I will definitly read your thread, i know she doesn't tell me at the moment when she needs but she always comes over to me shouting mama and climbing up my leg after she has gone as she wants changed so i think that is a start. I will pop over and read now. Thanks for all your help (again) i'll stop worrying abiout milk x

My angel baby girl