Author Topic: 17-18 week old started waking at night  (Read 1088 times)

Offline babycub

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 15, 2013, 01:30:17 am »
My baby slept from 9pm until 5 am from 6 weeks old and would cluster feed before and after. At 12 weeks she started sleeping 7.45pm-5am without any issues. We follow EASY during the day. 11pm feed didn't work for her. When the hot weather started 10 days ago she started waking every 1-2hours. She was thirsty and so i feed her. I got her a fan and she sleeps in a nappy (as still very hot 29º) and she has stopped waking every 1-2hours but has picked up a night feed between 12-2.30.... I have tried to stop it for the last 3nights but she just cries and cries until I give in because husband says ' she is so upset because she is really thirsty'. She drinks frantically but will fall asleep after 2-4minutes. Does she need the feed because she is hot? How do I drop it? She will then wake 4.30-5 for another feed and 7.

Offline babycub

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 17-18 week old started waking at night
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 01:41:10 am »
P.s. baby 100% bf. Not started weanung/solids.
Will not nap for more than 45 minutes during day time naps.
Feeds every 3 hours during the day

Offline Caitlyns Mum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Queensland, Australia
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 07:48:47 am »
Hi, getting a baby to sleep in hot weather can be a pain! At least your bub will sleep without being swaddled! My DD was swaddled (& needed to be as she'd wake herself up otherwise) but it was a real challenge in summer to keep her cool enough. Seems as though you're doing the right things though - fan and minimal dressing.

Anyways, regarding her NW, just a few thoughts: have you ruled out a growth spurt? Sometimes you'll get a week or so of NW for hunger and then they just go as fast as they started. Also, now that she's 4 months, have you considered moving her to a 4 hour easy during the day? Being on a routine for a younger baby might be causing the problems at night? And finally, maybe if she's just eating for a few minutes and then settling again, you could just give a sip of water (if you don't want to nurse for fear of comfort feeding) and see if that satisfies her 'thirst' and maybe after a few nights the NW will go as she knows she's not going to get fed?
Jess

Offline katie80

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 220
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 18:33:31 pm »
Hi there, and welcome to BW! :)

I agree with all that Caitlyns Mum has said.  I think there's a chance it's a growth spurt.  There is often a good sized one right around 4mo.  But, I also think her day time routine needs to change.  It sounds like she's needing more A time with the constant 45min naps and the feeds should start pushing out to at least 3.5hr.  Some EBF babies aren't able to make a full 4hr EASY until they start solids around 6mo, but feeding every 3hr is likely contributing to her not taking in as much milk at each feed and thus waking in the night to 'catch up'.  Would you post what a typical day looks like for you in EAS format and we'll see if there's anything to tweak?  Something like this...

W/E 7am
A
S 8:45-9:30
E 10am
A
S etc etc

Also, if you do think she is waking out of thirst, I'd still just go ahead and feed her rather than offering water.  You won't be creating a prop if she has a need, yk, and BM is still better for them than water at this age.