Author Topic: Going stir crazy stuck home with sick LO  (Read 7313 times)

Offline ZacsMumme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Re: Going stir crazy stuck home with sick LO
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2013, 03:41:15 am »
Poor wee man. We had similar with Z for a few weeks! (HFM then flu) and it's so frustrating for the, isn't it.

We did... (I know Z is younger but may help ;) )
Movies
Play doh
Colouring, stickers and stamps
Sidewalk chalk
Marbles, and marble run when T asleep (or T tries to eat marbles ::) )
Puzzles
Picnic lunch at home
Playing duplo and trains
Bug hunting outside the house if warm enough and Z up to it.
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2013, 07:43:05 am »
Thanks girls.

Not too late at all, now Colby is sick with tonsillitis as I expected ::)

My mum bought the Hungry Hippos game for them and we did a whole hour of play doh (surprising as they had to share a single pot as the rest was hard) and then 10 mins of chalking.

I love the toys in ice idea but we really do have the smallest freezer known to man and it's jam packed with ice cubes, ice poles, ice cream and veg.

Cadan does like maps. we have a map ball and he loves pointing out which countries we have been to and where friends and family are from. We actually made pirate treasure maps the other day. I tore a big piece off a roll of lining paper for walls (99p from b&q) and tore the edges then drew a map on it with crayon and then stained it to look old with some instant coffee. We based it on our house and had forest where our garden is, a waterfall for the kitchen sink, shelter for the sofas, a tunnel for the catflap, camp fire for the radiators, food for the fridge etc and then did a big x and hid some treasure there for us to find. Your Lo might like that creations :)

Going to get/make some more play doh today and see what other ideas you have mentioned he will be interested in. Thanks again lovely ladies.  :-*
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2013, 08:09:14 am »
Oh Zac loved making roads and a town over a huge piece of cardboard on the floor with colouring pens etc.  DH did it with him one arvo, and then they whizzed the cars all over it ;)

The other thing I thought of was just something that I had to do and Z seemed to enjoy it (finding new toys) and that is sort the toys out - or do a clean up YK? Found all sorts n the big toy box ::)

Bay blades? (Sp.?) but Z played this at an older friends house and loved it

Hugs to your poor boys x
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2013, 08:19:12 am »
L likes making a car or a train or an aeroplane out of cushions, baskets boxes etc on our living room floor.  She packs the 'boot' and takes her dolls to their granny's house (although often she doesn't get to the driving stage, spends the whole time getting things ready and packed). Not sure if that's too energetic but maybe they could sit on cushions and 'drive'?
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline CCCmom27

• Showing Appreciation 27
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2013, 13:15:48 pm »
Joining in looking for ideas for after C has toe surgery tomorrow.  Not sure how much he'll want to move the first few days so I've got DH picking up some playdough, a new cheap movie, and a new video game.  Already have a new watercolor Nemo book that hopefully he'll want to do.  I like water colors best since they make less mess  ;) C likes making maps so maybe we can do some new ones.  Loves the ice idea but not sure what I'd give them to pick at the ice  ???

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2013, 13:30:59 pm »
Ali, i would love to see your pirate treasure map!!  DS would really love it but i honestly have no energy to make it myself. 

I tried the crayon ovef texture, i ended up having to do it all, though DS had a great time guessing what it was.  It lasted a total of 5 mins, most of which was spent on me finding things with texture ::). DS spent 2 mins on drawing, which was usually a single line with a whole story in it.  Might be the next big art thing :P

Sara, just some reassuring facts for you, in case T does swallow a marble, it will come out very easily.  Round heavy things, that are not too big to block airway, are easier (within 24 hrs) flat things, like coin, not so but still comes out whole (48hrs), tried and tested by friends and supported by their GP!!

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2013, 14:28:48 pm »
Both boys asleep right now...

I'd be more worried about them choking on the marble!

I'm sure you could just give a metal teaspoon to pick the ice. Wondering now if I could freeze it at my mum's.

I have tried to attch the photo of the maps, I hope you can see it. I mostly did the one Cadan is holding and Cadan did one Colby is holding. Not artistic at all!

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2013, 14:32:24 pm »
awww, lovely Ali. xx

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline koe2moe

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2013, 18:33:37 pm »
awwwww how very cool!!  DS would love it... as long as I do it all!!  might still be fun :P 

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2013, 18:40:15 pm »
DS did lots of pirate maps at nursery and was so into them...

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline koe2moe

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2013, 18:42:45 pm »
DS did lots of pirate maps at nursery and was so into them...
Did H do them himself?  I guess I can make it simple to start with, just the living room.  Couch as water, shelves as the mountains, underneath the tv as a cave for treasures? 

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2013, 20:20:30 pm »
You can always just pretend Koe, you don't have to make anything correspond, it is still fun.

We popped to the shop and bought an ice cream parlour play doh set and a floor puzzle so those have kept is busy today.

Colby is very sick with a bacterial chest infection and viral tonsillitis now so we may have several more days to use the other ideas.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2013, 21:36:59 pm »
Sorry to hear Colby is poorly now too :(

The maps are great!  Your description is beyond DS and he doesn't draw anything recognisable at all (I think he might be a bit behind in this area and focused on other things) but I love the idea of a map of the house though. We'll do that!  He has (in the past) enjoyed drawing nursery rhymes but hasn't done any for a while.

We had a fun time with this yesterday
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9059722.htm
I put it up myself in around 10 mins, with DS jumping around getting all exited and taking little pieces of card to the bin to tidy up.  The we coloured some and he took some toy friends inside for a picnic and he enjoyed just going in and out of it and loved having a new den. As an added bonus it provides lavatory privacy when there are guests :)  Biggest problem though, you'd have to enlist DH to go out to buy it as you're all housebound :(

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2013, 07:55:36 am »
Do you have any masking tape? Sometimes we stick this on the floor to draw out roads for L to push her cars along and make a little town. The good thing is it can be completely different every time and as big as you like.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2013, 15:25:34 pm »
Thanks ladies.

Boys are recovering now and both attended their swimming lessons today.

Funnily enough creations I remembered you mentioning that house on another bread a while ago and saw it on sale and offered to buy it but Cadan wasn't keen and wanted to build his own. He isn't really into colouring. I don't think it is typical for LOs to draw recognisable pics until 3-4yo so I'm sure your DS isn't behind in that. Cadan can just about draw a face and a stick man and maybe a wave for water. Otherwise it is mostly circles. he can do squares and triangles at a push actually. We probably don't do enough drawing.

We managed to fill the days with reading, colour by numbers (5minutes), playing cards (snap, pairs, go fish and bingo) and lots of p,aping with the new play doh.

Great idea for another time Cath.