Author Topic: 10 Month Old not sleeping through the night  (Read 1770 times)

Offline PurpleKomodo

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
10 Month Old not sleeping through the night
« on: July 15, 2013, 15:23:54 pm »
I am in desperate need of advise.  I have a 10 month old boy who has never really slept through the night and I am starting to go crazy.  He will sleep through occasionally and we try to figure out if we did something different that might be the magic thing, but usually, there is no explanation for why he sleeps or more often, does not sleep.  I did the Baby Whisperer schedule with him up until he was about 3 or 4 months old and then he started daycare and I no longer had as much control over his day.  Note: Our daycare is great and very accommodating to different schedules, they just have many babies to accommodate and the room is always busy so naps can be hit and miss and sometimes feeding get put off 15 minutes.  No big deal.  I can't give you a EASY schedule at this point because it has been so long since he has had a super rigid schedule, but here the basics.

He wakes up between 7am and 8pm and has a bottle (he has decided he is too cool for bottles, so he isn't always taking whole feeds anymore).  He usually eats between 3 and 5 ounces.  He eats oatmeal and yogurt around 9 or 9:30 at daycare (or home on the weekends.  He eats two jars of baby food and some finger foods at around noon.  Has another 3-5 ounce bottle at 3:00ish.  Eats 2 jars of baby food and some finger foods at about 6pm. Finally, he has 5-7 ounces of bottle before bed at 7:45. 

As far as naps are concerned, they have never been great.  Even when we did EASY "hardcore" he would nap from 30-45 minutes tops.  Now, we usually get one good nap (1.5-2.5 hours) and sometimes a couple of catnaps in the car to or from daycare.  Most of the time the big nap is closer to 1.5 hours, but sometimes we get a big one.

He plays hard all day.  He is super mobile and super busy, so when he is awake, he is non-stop.

So at night, he wakes up anywhere from once (rare) up to 5 or 6 times with an average of 2-3 times.  We haven't fed him over night since he was 4 months old.  He doesn't wake up for food.  Here is the kicker.  MOST of the time, all it takes to get him to go back to sleep is to go in, find his pacifier, pop it in his mouth, and turn back on his ocean noise.  He likes to be left alone to go to sleep so shush-pat has never really worked.  He won't go to sleep if we are standing right there.  We try to give him a minute or two to soothe himself back to sleep or find his own pacifier, which happens sometimes, but most of the time, he just tosses, turns and fusses/whines until one of us goes in. 

So, have we accidently created a crazy prop dependent monster?  How do we break the cycle and get him to sleep through?  Please help.  We are so tired.  Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and respond.  Please let me know if you need any other information to help.

Offline katie80

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 220
Re: 10 Month Old not sleeping through the night
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 13:18:51 pm »
Hi there, (((hugs))) on all the NWs.  I know how tiring that can be.

It does sound like you have a prop issue, but I think he is at an age where it shouldn't be too difficult to get him independent.  First, when he wakes at night, I would start waiting until he is actually crying for you before going in.  So, not if he's just fussing, moaning, or rolling around.  When you do go in, you need to tach him to replug the paci himself.  For the first couple nights, you can guide his hand to it while saying a phrase like, "Find your paci, so you can go back to sleep.". Then, you will move to just saying the phrase (again, only if he's genuinely crying for help) and hopefully after a few more nights, he'll be doing it all on his own.  You can put several pacis in the crib with him.  I think you can also get ones that glow in the dark or something to attach them to.  I had to do something similar with my DS at this age, as I realized going in and laying him down each time he woke in the middle of the night had become a prop for him.  I had him start lying down himself when he woke and after just a few days he was sleeping through.  Is your DS an independent sleeper when it comes to going down for naps and BT?

Another thing I notice is the amount of milk he has during the day is on the low side.  You mentioned he's not really into his bottles right now... does he drink milk from a sippy cup?  I'd stat offering a few more oz of milk with each meal in a sippy  cup.  Milk should still be his primary source of nutrition until about age 1, even though he is established on solids. 

Finally, a good day time routine is always helpful in establishing good nights as well.  He's really not that far off what is average for his age.  He only needs to be having one full nap right now.  I'm wondering though if the other CN could be more established so that the day is more predictable and thus the night as well.  What time does his main nap happen at?  Is daycare able to offer him the CN at a consistent time too?

Offline PurpleKomodo

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 14:33:21 pm »
Thanks so much for responding.  My husband and I have resolved to only go in if he is reallycrying.  If he is just fussing or whining, we are going to wait and let him try to work it out.  Good idea on helping him find his paci.  I know he can do it, because he has, he just isn't consistent.  As for the milk during the day...oh boy...it has been such a struggle lately.  He will drink juice or water from a sippy but he usually only takes a couple of swallows and is done.  I have started offering him drinks of his bottle for the whole hour that it can safely been out and that seems to be helping and he gets closer to 5 or 6 ounces a feeding. 

His naps are funny.  Sometimes, the big nap is around 10:00 or 11:00 and he sleeps until 12:00 0r 12:30.  Then he will definitely fall asleep on the way home.  He has held off until as late as 1:00 to take his good nap.  On the weekends at home, I have been trying to establish and lunch then nap routine with putting him down around 12:30 after he eats solids at lunch.  Seems to work okay.  He just gets worn out earlier at daycare because he plays hard.  I honestly wish I could eliminate some of the catnapping but I don't know how to keep him awake in the car, so if you have any insight into that, I would love to hear it.  I will update after a few days on how the nights are going.

Offline katie80

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 220
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 19:52:52 pm »
I honestly wish I could eliminate some of the catnapping but I don't know how to keep him awake in the car, so if you have any insight into that, I would love to hear it.
Well, it's difficult, because he's probably not totally ready for one nap yet, so still needs a little bit in the afternoon.  What time do you pick him up and how long does he sleep in the car?  Could you set the big nap at daycare, so at least the days are a bit more consistent.

So, maybe something like this...
Wake 7am
Nap 1 11-12:30/1pm
Nap 2 (in car) 5-5:30pm (guessing here)
BT 7:30pm

You could also try to stick to that same routine on the weekends to give him a chance to settle in and then gradually over the next few months, you can push the main nap back by 15min every few days until you get it to around 12pm. The trick then will be to keep him awake on the car ride home and that's usually best done with snacks, singing, windows open, etc.

What do you think?