Author Topic: Toddler 'witching hour' activities  (Read 7294 times)

Offline ZacsMumme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Re: Toddler 'witching hour' activities
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2013, 08:19:59 am »
It's called tiny firefighters (sorry not fire engine) so try that in your app search. Ill e back with the other ;)
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2013, 08:23:18 am »
Not sure why but it's under 'books' but it's a seek and find. The best bits are cat up tree, then rescue it with ladder firetruck.cow in pond, or tree blown over with wind cloud - rescue with crane firetruck ;)

Other one is 'my animals'. In it you get 3 - one is free. I think you pay for the one that is 'my farm'
There is also 'little town' and 'animal circus' each has one free.
***Sara***

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2013, 08:51:56 am »
If you don't mind a bit of mess, you can give him discovery trays or tubs to play with  :)

There are heaps of ideas on Pinterest  ;D

You can fill them with anything, make them along a theme, even have edible ones! If LO doesn't put things in their mouth any more you have even more options  :)

Also include scoops, tongs, cups and bowls then LO can practise their fine motor skills while playing.

I recently made a pirate treasure one for DS - pirate coins buried in dried beans which he had to dig for and put in his pirate treasure chest  ;D I also included some other items to find. He kept going back to it for the whole week it was out!

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2013, 19:48:52 pm »
HH I love this idea. I've been thinking about it for Z but I can't work out what I would put them in. What size tray/dish do you use? And do you just gt them doing it in the kitchen or on a play mat? X
***Sara***

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2013, 19:57:41 pm »
When DS was that age, and just grabbed my  legs while I tried to cook, I put cooking toys on the counter, so he cooked with me!  That is, if he likes that kind of things.  I found that DS would be more willing to play independently if I spent a few minutes with him first, a story or just play a few minutes together and I explained that after this, I would have to start making dinner.  It feels like his mama cup gets filled before me going off.  (Mind you, that was with me being with him the whole day!)  Would it work for you?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2013, 20:36:49 pm »
pirate coins buried in dried beans which he had to dig for and put in his pirate treasure chest
I've made a similar sort of thing as an outside toy for DS. We only have a roof terrace so are limited what we can do out there (no water or sand play).  I bought one of those sort of under bed storage boxes with a lid, shallowish so that if sat next to it there isn't too much of a stretch for small arms to get over the rim iyswim.
I filled ours (about one third full) will chunky stones from a garden centre (bought a sack and used about half), then some special treasure stones, also from the garden centre (various colours and shapes available, I got some marbles too).  And we've got a digger and truck, little rake and trowel etc to dig up the treasure stones.  We've also got a bunch of dinosaurs in there atm.  plastic bugs are good for finding too.
Don't know about elsewhere but in the UK garden centres almost always have free planting trays, card and polystyrene which you can just help yourself to.  The planting trays are a great addition to the tray for sorting different stuff into, making mazes or landscaping etc.  They are also good for indoor invitations to play for sorting things or construction, imaginative play etc.

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2013, 08:23:12 am »
HH I love this idea. I've been thinking about it for Z but I can't work out what I would put them in. What size tray/dish do you use? And do you just gt them doing it in the kitchen or on a play mat? X

Hi Sara,

I got what they call a shirt storage box from the DIY store. It's 37cm long, 30cm wide and 15.5cm deep, is made of strong clear plastic and has a lid. We can use it for water play too (I made a frog pond with craft foam lilypads and plastic frogs for him last week, safely stored with the lid on when not in use)  ;D For the treasure hunt I filled it with 2kg of mung beans which were on offer at the supermarket (Ramadan special event I think!) and buried loads of plastic pirate coins. As creations says, you can also bury plastic animals and bugs for them to find  :)

I just let him have it on the floor as it's easy enough to sweep up any spilled beans - DS always helps pick them up or uses his little dustpan and brush as he knows that's the rules for this kind of play. After use the beans go back in the bag and can be used for play again. As long as they are kept separate from stuff you actually may ever eat then it's fine  ;) For water play indoors I just put big towels down on the floor. For outside it doesn't matter!

If you really want to contain the mess then you could put LO and the tub in one of those car boot liner tarpaulins which clip together ar the corners to provide a lip all around?

DS likes pouring the beans through a funnel into a container so I always make sure there are scoops, small containers and a funnel in the tub as well  :)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2013, 20:46:31 pm »

This blog has tons of ideas for those kind of trays and other things. I have signed up for emails too.

http://theimaginationtree.com/

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2013, 22:25:18 pm »
Thanks ladies! Hunting today ;)

Katy - Z loves pango!
***Sara***

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2013, 08:53:14 am »
Katy - Z loves pango!

Knew he would!! We've got it on the iphones as well ::) We do love to go out for dinner and breakfast with a toddler...

Thanks for the other great ideas ladies! I got him involved with making the dinner tonight and that was really good- i've always been keen for him to help, but have thought 'oh- it's too hard' becuase i'll be mainly using hot things. Tonight i was microwave cooking some pasta so i got him to pour the pasta and the water into the bowl- he LOVED it- thought he was a real chef!! ;D

I think i'll leave the beans tray idea for a different time of the day- i'd prefer something a bit easier to set up- as in all in one bag and choose another bag... Actually- i've thought of what i can do based on that with a bean tray- i'l have a think some more!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline cuckoochick

• Showing Appreciation 136
  • Mummy to Charlotte Rose and Georgia May
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2013, 11:47:32 am »
Yes after reading this thread I purchased the pango app and C is now addicted!

*Nicola*

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2013, 11:52:43 am »
by dinner time L often likes 'easy' activities which don't demand her to think too much (not puzzles etc).  Water play aka washing fruit/veg at the kitchen sink can keep her happily occupied for ages (in toddler terms) whilst I prepare dinner and she feels like she is helping.

She also likes to choose her plate and cutlery from the cupboard and drawer and lay the table with them (which sometimes keeps her occupied for much longer than you would think!).
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2013, 23:15:21 pm »
Nicola try the seek and finds too, they are similar ;)
***Sara***

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2013, 23:50:03 pm »
I found one of the seek and finds- but I think it may be better on the ipad- I've just got them on the phone currently. I'll check them out!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2013, 00:40:52 am »
Yeah you need a decent screen
***Sara***