Author Topic: 9 Month Old Teething waking up all night! Just started EASY/PUPD! Help!  (Read 1644 times)

Offline mishayl

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Hello! I started my 9 MO on EASY a week ago and she started teething! Before this she was sleeping in my bed and being BF to sleep (she's exclusively breast fed and has always rejected the bottle) and this HAD to change! I started the EASY routine and PUPD and first night cried for 3 hours but then slept 4 hours straight in cot (MIRACLE!) started to go down for proper naps and everything was going well! THEN on night 4 she started TEETHING and now wakes up every 2 hours crying and won't go down unless I feed her/walk with her (i know Poor Baby Syndrome) I gave her Calpol last night and she managed 3.5 hours on her own then. What should I do about:
1) Feeding her at night every 2 hours?! Suppose its a growth spurt and she's off her food during the day and hungry at night. I want to space out her feeds but should I wait till teething is over?
2) Rocking her? Let her cry in cot while PUPD? I know she's in pain so I feel awful about letting her cry!
3) If she wakes up early at 6 am instead of 7 am how do I adjust her routine?

Thank you!!

Also this is her routine now:

7 AM- wake up/milk
8:30 AM- Breakfast
Activity
10:00 AM- Nap
11:00- Wake up, milk
Activity
1:00-Lunch
Activity
2:00-Sleep
4:00-Wake up,milk
Activity
5:30-Snack
Activity
7:00- Dinner
8:00- Bedtime

PLEASE help!

Offline skatty

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
As you know she is teething my plan of attack would be to make sure she is fully medicated so she can get the sleep she needs. If you think  it is a growth spurt as well then offer more milk in the day but it sounds like the feeding is comfort. Please don't be afraid to medicate when it is needed, my doctor said sleep is so important for babies that it is better to keep them pain free so they can get what they need. I found that ibuprofen (Nurofen in the UK and I think Motrin in the US) lasted longer but you can also alternate it with Calpol when things are very bad. Sorry I cannot give any routine advice, my dd is almost 7 now so that is very foggy but do bear in mind your dd is OT now and babies generally need shorter A times when teething so it is probably wise to cut the A times down, by how much I am not sure  :-\ It could be as much as ½ an hour for my dd. Could you watch for tired signs, maybe when she looks extra ratty/rubbing eyes/red eyes/looks fed up and then get her down? She sounds so tired and in pain at the moment that the best plan would be to get her caught up and then onto a working routine again but try as much as possible to limit the night feeds and accidental parenting which should hopefully be much easier once she is pain free and hopefully sleeping long stretches again  :)
Katt

Offline mishayl

• Showing Appreciation 0
Thank you! I've done just that and given her Calpol and as there are THREE cutting at the moment.. I'm going to reign in the accidental parenting as much as possible and hope that they come out soon :)

Offline PaulsMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
Hugs for the nws.  Teething can really mess up sleep.  I agree with Katt about medicating before BT and naps.  During the day, is she bf alright?  For solids, you can try cold or frozen foods (eg. Frozen bagel. Frozen squashed blueberries, etc).  Note thay for some babies, bf causes them discomfort but for others bf is soothing.  So (unfortinately) she might be wanting to feed so often at night due to the pain (my dd is like this so I was feeding her multiple times at night while she was teething).

Wrt night feeds, I would work on trying to get her to take more calories in during the day and if needed feed her may be twice during the night.  There is a GS around 9 month but if it is a GS then it should pass in a few days. 

Wrt waking early, I would adjust the timing based on when she wakes.  So if she wakes around 6 am, then she will need a nap around 9 am instead of 10.  But as Katt has said, with teething, I would watch her for her sleepy cues rather than strictly watching the clock.  If you are going to reduce her A times, I would just do this by 10 to 15 min to see how things go. 

HTH

Offline mishayl

• Showing Appreciation 0
Thank you! Yes she's definitely BF for comfort and so I'm letting her have an extra feed or two at night (11pm, 2am, 4am, 6am) but this is a huge improvement to when we were co sleeping and she was feeding all night long! The calpol realllyy helped as well and poor thing finally got a good nights rest and using Nelson Teetha during the day. I'm going to try the frozen food because the extra night feeds is putting her off her breakfast and she does feed during the day but in a distracted manner (Hey whats that?? whos that?? is that ball??! i love balls!) I think theres just a day or so more to her teeth and hope to get back on track with EASY etc after!

I'm adjusting the routine according to her wake up time as well :) thanks ladies! first time in 9 months that I've managed to have a shower in peace, watch a movie, read.. have ME time <3