Author Topic: 9 month old hasn't gotten into eating solids at all yet!  (Read 2647 times)

Offline karindmor

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
9 month old hasn't gotten into eating solids at all yet!
« on: September 17, 2013, 19:44:03 pm »
My son just turned 9 months old.  I started TRYING solids with him about 7-7.5 months and he hasn't really shown any interest yet!  I've tried spoon feeding and letting him feed himself.  I think he has a negative association with his high chair :/  I prepare his food before I put him in the chair so he's not just waiting around for me too.

I've tried avocado (spoon and BLW), carrots pureed with chicken broth, chicken and chicken broth, sweet potatoes, blueberries chopped to feed himself, bananas to feed himself, chicken and green beans bc he didn't like green beans on his own.  One thing he seemed to like was chicken and apples, though now he's refusing that too.  I bought those little puff things from target and he'll pick them up and put them towards his mouth but doesn't always put them IN his mouth. 

I'm still breast feeding him and I've tried waiting an hour or more before I try solids.  He just turns his head away. He won't even try anything.  My husband is deployed so it's just me at the house.  Do you think it has something to do with me being the milk supplier and trying to feed him solids?  My mom comes into town next week.  Maybe it would help is she fed him the most?? 

I haven't been consistent about putting him in his highchair more than once a day, but now I'm trying to put him in his chair at least twice a day to get the message that this is for eating.  I give him infant probiotics and he loves them!!!  That's the only thing he WILL open his mouth for! I used to give them to him on the floor bc it was more convenient, but lately I've started putting him in the h chair for them so he knows not everything I make is bad haha.  When I say lately, I mean like 2 days haha. 

Also, he has bad eczema so I've been trying to be careful with what he eats.  I haven't done grains yet because I wanted to stick veggies to help reduce any more inflammation.  He's also a little anemic due to me still breastfeeding, which is why I've tried to push the chicken and incorporate it in some veggies.

Offline karindmor

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: 9 month old hasn't gotten into eating solids at all yet!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 20:10:24 pm »
Oh, and he's a spirited baby.  Is that just a pretty word for stubborn? ;)

Offline *happy*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 55
  • blessed to have found BWing.xxx
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 20:17:18 pm »
i'm no expert, but i found ( & stiill find) that if im eating, DD will be more inclined to eat/want to eat what i have!!!have you tried that?

i know i was told when i was having solid-food troubles that "food before one is fun"...ie you don't have to get too worried about what they are eating because milk should still be their main source of nutrition.

we started with pear & apple purees...they went down well, but not sure how they would effect his skin...HTH some little bit!

Offline HenaV

• Showing Appreciation 39
  • My shining light
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 21:21:52 pm »
we did fruits and veggies from 6m. Started with pureed pears, then sweet potato, butternut squash, apple, carrots, etc (followed the weaning suggestion method in Tracy's book), then as she suggests mixed two flavours together etc But very much took the approach that it was fun as opposed to feeding her for nutritional value. So more about the different tastes, textures etc iykwim

hth x

Offline karindmor

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 22:21:55 pm »
I've tried sitting him down to eat when I eat and it doesn't help. I try to make our breakfasts at the same time and he goes to bed before my dinner usually. It's like he's protesting solids! I just don't know why :( I know there's a growth spurt at 9 months???

Offline HenaV

• Showing Appreciation 39
  • My shining light
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 21:57:43 pm »
Have you tried him on more basic purees like fruit or vegetables or even a combo of that and some finger foods to grab his interest?

Hena

Offline karindmor

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 21:05:39 pm »
Yes I've tried both! The only thing hell eat from a bowl are his probiotics. He loves those little puff things from target and I put him in the high chair for the puffs and the probiotics but he turns his head to anything else I put in a bowl he just turns his head away. I've cut up blueberries and he's been curious about those and has eaten them when I've fed him put doesn't usually eat them himself

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 21:09:34 pm »
How much milk is he getting? Is it possible he's just not really hungry? I would try making a point of sitting him down at the table with you and your DH (as much as possible, or just you if DH isn't around) and serving him pieces of the family meal, the same things you are eating except without salt/less spices. You can give him some small pieces of tender chicken, or just a drumstick and let him explore/grab/lick it. Don't give him the puffs or the purees, give it a week of eating with him at every meal and not trying to persuade/cajole/feed him - just leave him to it - and see where you are in a week.