Author Topic: Strategies to tackle EW  (Read 1426 times)

Offline Clairehv

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Mum to 2 girls. DD1 Sept 2012, DD2 May 2016
Strategies to tackle EW
« on: July 25, 2013, 06:35:43 am »
Hi
Well we seem to replace one issue with another. After 3 weeks of difficult NWs we are back on track with NWs reduced. I have completely stopped any bottle in the night and if DD (nearly 10 months ) wakes she is settling quickly either if its teeth with meds or just a quick resettle in cot.

However over the past few days her waking has got earlier and earlier moving from 7am to 6.15 to 5.50am yesterday and 5.30am this morning.

This morning she started a moan/mantra cry at 5.30am. She was lying down though so I ignored until 5.55am. Then she escalated.
She wouldn't resettle.
Usually she wakes in the morning happy but this morning despite me bringing her into our room/bed for a play she cried/moaned.
I gave in at 6.30am and gave her her am bottle.

Could EW be hunger. She is on 3 meals a day and did 10oz before bed.

Just wondered what strategies there are for getting later WUs.
I can post EASY if that would help?
Thanks
Claire

Offline PaulsMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
Re: Strategies to tackle EW
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 15:19:55 pm »
Hugs hun on the EWs.  Please post your routine as it may be that her am nap is too soon (ie. Like a continuation of nt sleep) or too long.  You are heading towards the 2-1 transition so you may need to cap her am nap.

Offline Clairehv

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 07:31:49 am »
Hi PM,
So our EASY's have been a bit off, but I have spent so long stressing about sleep that I have wanted to try and maximise the last 6 weeks of my maternity leave and do activities with my gorgeous girl.

You may be right though about the am nap. This is the most guaranteed nap of the day and she will usually easily do 1hr20 to 1hr30 unless I wake her.
We have pushed to get the first 2 A times to 3 hours and are regularly getting that now. The teething NW period meant she was more tired quicker.

Tuesday EAS
WU 6.15am
Bottle & breakfast
Nap 1 9.15-10.15 (I woke)
Lunch 11.45
Nap 2 1.30-2pm (in car)
Snack 3pm
Nap
4.10-5pm in car on way home

BT 7pm

Wed
WU 5.50am
Nap 1 9-10.20am
Nap 2 1.30-1.50 ( woke on transfer from car to cot and despite persevering for 30 mins couldn't resettle.
Nap 3 (4-4.50pm. She was exhausted and would not have made it through the afternoon)
5pm tea
BT 7.10pm
Crying at 1am resettled with meds

Thursday
WU 5.30am

Nap 1 8.30am-10am
Lunch 11.45
Nap 2 12.40-1.35 in car on way to swimming lesson
Nap 3 4-4.30 on way home from swimming
BT 7pm

Friday
WU 6.30am :)

So on days where she can do nap 2 in cot we often get 1.5 hrs but if she does a short nap 2 she needs that nap 3 or we would not get through dinner, bath and bedtime
Claire

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 08:41:38 am »
I think she needs an A time push Hun, and 2 naps....not 3...the third nap even though there to prevent OT is causing problems Keith her night sleep.

My first was a chronic EW. Yu have to push the am nap, and from a reasonable desired WU, not actual WU. So reasonable here would be 6am, anything earlier is nighttime and treat it as such, even if your in there cuddling or feeding...walk out at 6, then back in 'good morning' open curtains/lights etc. start A from 6, no earlier and do at least 3hrs15 to start.

If you get a good nap, or anything over 1 hr (even 45 mins if she man cope) then do another full A time. I would do 3hrs15-30 first with intention of 3.5 hrs in a weeks time. Even with a short nap, don't give another nap, try EBT, your more likely to get a long night this way than with another nap and later BT.

Sorry I know this sounds long winded, EW stink, but you really have to push them a touch to get out of it at this age I think.

***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Clairehv

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 15:55:31 pm »
Hi
Thanks Sara, I'll start pushing the A time out to more than 3 hours. Not sure what is average for a 10 month old but she does like her day sleep :).

X
Claire

Offline PaulsMom

• Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 17:07:58 pm »
Agree with pushing the A times out.  She should be able to handle 3.25 to 3.5 hrs (or more!).  I'll throw out this one suggestion for you to consider esp if you want to go out in the afternoons.  You could keep the am nap long and then do a shorter nap in the afternoon.  During the 2-1 transition, the am nap is retained and the pm nap disappears into an EBT.  I did this with my DS.  It's not what most moms will do but it does give you more flexibility in the afternoon if you want to get out with your girl!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 10:08:44 am by PaulsMom »

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 08:56:36 am »
Yah Z did a long morning nap (he never did a long pm no matter what ::) ) so I pushed the A time out and let him sleep as long as he wanted, then Offered a shorter nap/CN (depending on how much day was left) in the late arvo x
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.