Author Topic: 10.5 Month Old, Not Eating Finger Foods  (Read 2162 times)

Offline PurpleKomodo

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: July 26, 2013, 14:20:19 pm »
So my 10.5 month old will only eat Gerber Puffs, Yogurt Melts, or crunchy foods like crackers.  If I give him any fruit or veggie, he won't even try it.  He eats everything in purees and will even eat a few of the stage 3 ones, but is not transitioning into finger foods well.  Has anyone else had this issue.  What did you do to encourage them to try more things.

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: 10.5 Month Old, Not Eating Finger Foods
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 22:00:43 pm »
First, stop offering the stuff he likes as he will just wait for those and really - none of those carry any nutritional value...

What is your current feeding routine?  Formula or breast? 

Many moms find that milk and food need to be quite far apart in order to let LO get properly hungry enough to try things...

Offline PurpleKomodo

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 14:48:43 pm »
Okay. So, here is what food looks like on a typical day.

8:00am - Bottle (formula), I make 6 oz.  He usually eats 4-5
9:30am - Oatmeal, 3-4 tbls. Yogurt, whole container
12:00pm - Some "snacks" (puffs, rice crackers, yogurt melts), 2 4 oz jars of baby food
3:30pm - Bottle, I make 6 oz. He eats anywhere from all of it to 1-2 oz. depends on the day.
6:00pm - Some "snacks", 2 jars of baby food, lately a stage 3 (6 oz) and a stage 2 (4 oz) or applesauce
8:00pm - Bottle, I make 6 oz. He usually eats 4-5

Lately, he has been melting down at dinner every night.  We think it is because he wants to feed himself, but if I give him what we are having.  He most of the time does not even try to eat it.  Sometimes he helps with the spoon, we let him, unless he is just trying to play with it.  We are confident that he can chew food because he has done it.  He just seems unwilling to try new things. 

Last night, I tried to only give him veggies instead of offering his beloved puffs and he threw a huge fit and wouldn't eat the carrots I gave him.  He did eat them later when we mixed them in with the jar food he was eating that had carrot chunks in it.  I just need some ideas on how to encourage him to try foods.

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 22:24:51 pm »
Honestly, I would greatly reduce the amount of jarred food he is getting - it really is quite a lot and likely filling his tummy but not really satisfying him.. it really doesn't actually contain much in terms of density (as opposed to making your own) and many bubs just prefer the blander taste of it compared to the real thing..

Could you maybe try making a few purees on your own to get him used to the stronger tastes and then see if he is more willing to get brave?

Overall though, don't panic!  Mine was really hit and miss with finger foods until about 14 months and then she was off like a shot!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 23:05:50 pm »
Melting down at dinner does sound like he wants to at least be offered what you are eating.  He may well not eat it but there is a lot to explore about food and that exploration is pretty important in the process towards eating it.  I would let him play with it, but not drop it off the table/highchair tray. Same with the spoon. Let him play ad explore and get used to handling it.  FWIW my DS had a melt down every time he saw solid food from about  4.5 or 5 months, it meant he wanted to be offered some and not left out, it didn't mean he was suddenly going to eat full meals. When I finally gave in and handed him some food he did taste it but it was far from a full meal.  I think kids want to know they are involved and the social aspect of eating is pretty big for all/most of us, kids want to be part of that.  Mine has always had a keen eye to spot anything that is different on his or my plate.

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 04:02:01 am »
Mine has always had a keen eye to spot anything that is different on his or my plate.

Absolutely!  Mine too - even at 2.5 yrs of age, my DD will request a bit of potato from my plate every single time we have them (she doesn't like the texture so I don't often put any on her plate as she just gets upset)... she happily tries it because it was from my plate but rarely if ever eats any of it (most lands in momma's hand after she makes the face!).