Author Topic: 8 months and liking solids but rejecting formula milk  (Read 2442 times)

Offline ChocolateyClaire

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
8 months and liking solids but rejecting formula milk
« on: July 25, 2013, 09:10:14 am »
My LO is 8 months and has always been a bit of a fussy milk drinker but since we introduced solids at 6 months she's really gone off her milk. Her feeding routine is as follows:

5.30 - wake
7.20/30 - 90-120ml milk.
8.15 - breakfast of toast or scrambled egg or yogurt / fruit. Water
12-12.30 - lunch of avocado, cheese, bread, tomatoes, strawberries, blueberries, banana. Water
15.30 - 90ml milk
17.00 - dinner of mash potato and spag bol or tuna & tomato pasta or dahl. Water
18.30 - anything from 60ml to 210ml of milk, usually somewhere in the middle.

All bottles are hard work, about 80% of the time she will happily start on the bottle but then after about 60ml she gets so fidgety and as soon as she decides she doesn't want any that's it, she fights like the best of them! I could try again half an hour later and she'd still refuse. The easiest bottle is the bedtime one although she can fight that on some days. She eats healthy and has lots of dairy in the form of cheese and yogurt but she doesn't eat loads so she can't be too full for milk - especially not the first bottle of the day.

I've spoken to the health visitor and she thinks it may be that she just doesn't like it. As she is well under her daily milk intake she also advised me to give her vitamins A, C and D - this is also tricky as she won't open her mouth for the spoon or syringe. Has anyone else had this problem?

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 585
Re: 8 months and liking solids but rejecting formula milk
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 09:42:15 am »
My DD2 really cut back her milk in favour of solids at this age.  So I in turn ended up cutting way way back on solids again. Milk is still important. As you know formula or BM had the right balance of everything they need to grow.

So personally I would cut back on the solids under her milk intake increases.  For breakfast can you do cereal made up with formula and that will count towards intake?

What about offering a bottle before lunch? 

Offline ChocolateyClaire

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 13:24:26 pm »
Even if she has less solids she doesn't want her milk. I am giving her her bedtime bottle at 6.30pm and then not offering her anything else until 7.30am the next day and she still isn't interested, but is interested in breakfast 45mins later. I've tried making up cereal but she's not too keen on it, will persevere with this though.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 13:28:12 pm »
What flow teat do you have her on? Does she have any digestive discomfort like reflux - the fussy with milk made me wonder!

Laura

Offline ChocolateyClaire

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 13:52:10 pm »
She's on a number 3 teat and hasn't been diagnosed with reflux but I've no idea whether she has it or not. When I mentioned it to health visitor / dr they didn't really say too much other than to make sure she has a lot of diary in her diet. How do you get someone to really look into the reflux thing rather than just passing off the not drinking milk as fussiness?

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 20:30:00 pm »
Any teeth coming?

Is there a bigger size teat than number 3?

Have you tried feeding her at the end of her naps when she is still really drowsy? I know a lot of BFing mums have success getting a good few oz in to their LOs feeding when drowsy.

Offline ChocolateyClaire

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 08:57:53 am »
3 is the biggest teat size and as for the naps, she's just as fussy then as when she's fully awake!

I am wondering whether it may be reflux though, she's had a cough for ages, hiccups loads and wakes a lot at night. She has been a bit sick recently too. I'm not sure whether I'm just searching for answer with reflux or whether she genuinely might have it. We have her mattress raised slightly but as she crawls around her cot she's not really gaining the benefits from it!

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 09:03:15 am »
They are the main signs of reflux Hun and combined with not wanting to drink the milk and disrupted sleeping it does sound like it could be at play.  You're doing everything you can and nothing is really sticking out so I do think it could be an issue.

Hugs xx

Offline ChocolateyClaire

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 09:36:02 am »
I think a trip to the doctors may be in order! I don't know, if it's not one thing it's something else!!
x

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 09:47:59 am »
Tell me about it. You finally think you've something sorted and they chuck a curve ball...like learning to stand or teeth. Let us know how you get on at the GP x

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 22:27:13 pm »
Tell me about it. You finally think you've something sorted and they chuck a curve ball...like learning to stand or teeth. Let us know how you get on at the GP x

^ true story!

How did things go with the GP hun?