Author Topic: Should i be settling and not feeding??  (Read 3063 times)

Offline Georgena

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: Should i be settling and not feeding??
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2013, 23:21:06 pm »
ahhh!!! its so random at the moment!! 2 nights ago was great,
BT@ 7
DF 10
NF 4
WU 6.45 lovely! then last night it all went to pot again!
gave the DF early as she woke at 9.30
then awake from 11.30-1 gave meds and in the end fed,
awake again at 4 and I fed again,its sooo out of character for her,it must be discomfort of some sort! Could it be separation anxiety kicking in??
If it is discomfort then do I settle until fully asleep?
and I know I shouldn't have fed her on both wakings last night but,i did, now I'm sure I will pay for it!! these little people are gorgeous but oh so exhausting!   
thanks again for your support! x 

Offline katie80

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 220
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2013, 13:58:47 pm »
Yes, it does sound like discomfort to me.  If she's getting teeth, SA can often go along with that... is she showing signs of it during the day?  How have her poops been... do you think her tummy is still hurting?

If it is discomfort, the best way to settle her is gently and consistently.  I'd still try to do it in the crib as much as possible, becuase you don't really want to come out of it with a new prop, but sometimes we all need a little more help when we're uncomfortable.  And, don't worry about the feeds, sometimes we do what we need to to get by.  I don't think one night will give you a big setback.

(((Hugs)))

Offline Georgena

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2013, 17:48:02 pm »
Hi Katie, so! The last few nights have been a bit better,i still get some OT wakes ups in the early evening but usually i know when that will happen so i prepare myself! Her 2nd nap is still not consistent and she wont always CN!
We called the doc on Sat ( dont have HV's here) to ask what we can do about her poop and she said to boil some plums and keep the water to make tea and to be insistent with that and water! She said to put sugar in but ive chosen not to, i think now that that has been the problem,and i dont know if we are out of the woods yet!!!
 still no sign of teeth and wrt SA she is fine in the day, i can leave her playing on her own quite happily,when shes tired and grumpy she doesn't like to be left but thats normal!! ( i think)
She still wakes up some night at 12:30 on the dot but I can usually leave her  and she'll settle herself, she then will wake anytime between 1:30-4:00 when i feed her, so i think that 1 NW is good enough for now! I cant complain!! Im hoping with more liquid it will soften her up and we will have calmer nights, until of corse those teeth pop out!!

Offline katie80

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2013, 18:42:05 pm »
Sounds like progress! :)

FWIW, I've heard it can take the bowels a little while to recover from constipation, so I'd keep giving her the extra fluids/prune juice even after things have softened for awhile.  I'm sure some of the NWs you were having were from that discomfort.

If you'd like to post your routine, I'd be happy to take a look and see if we can't get that pm nap worked out, so you don't have to worry aobut the CN anymore. (Not that I'll be able to solve it, but I'm willing to give it a try. ;))

Offline Georgena

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2013, 19:59:45 pm »
Its so nice to have a helping hand through all this!!
Need to go wake LO up ( typical,now she sleeps!!!) but when i get the chance i'll sit and post my routine from the last couple of days!! See what we can come up with!  :D x   

Offline katie80

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2013, 13:17:32 pm »
Sounds good!

Offline Georgena

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2013, 14:16:52 pm »
ok, so heres EASY from the last couple of days!

WU   06h30
E      06h50
A      08h solids
S      09h25  WU   10h50
E      11h
A      12h solids
S      13h45 WU   14h15 tried to resettle, could tell she wasn't going to,so moved on!
A
E     15h
A     didn't give solids here as I wanted her to sleep again and didn't want to give them too close to S time
S     15h40 I woke her up at 17h!!
A     solids, just a bit of pureed pear as it was getting late
E     18h15 didn't eat so much,
A     bath
E     19h top up
BT   19h20

NW  21h DH settled,it took until 21h50
DF    22.45 left it later than usual to make sure she was asleep!

WU@ 05h30!!!!  (no night feed!!!! ;D)
then she was in and out of sleep until she was really awake at 06h15!

E  06h40
A  08h solids
S  09h20 WU 10h40
E  11h
A  12h solids
S  13h30 WU 14h same thing as the day before,no luck settling
A
E  14h45
A
S  15h45 WU 16h45
A  solids (light) bath
E  18h40
BT 19h10
WU  15 mins later, resettled her
WU  again @ 20h went up to resettle
WU  again @ 21h settled herself
WU  22h20 gave DF
slept through till 05h30 then she settled herself until 06h30

so today,
WU 06h30
E 06h50
A 08h solids
started getting really grumpy, nearly falling asleep on nappy table so put to bed
S 09h15 WU 10h!!maybe woke earlier than I thought??
and here we are! not really sure how the rest of the day will go, im a bit thrown as usually her morning nap is good
usually its her 2nd nap, the only thing I can think is that she cant handle that 2nd A time ???
what do you think?

Offline katie80

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2013, 18:43:14 pm »
Actually, I think it's the opposite and she needs a touch more A time for the second one and also likely the first. I think today's morning nap was UT, even though she was looking tired and falling asleep. Frustrating, isn't it? But, the A time was less than it usually is and a 45min nap is pretty classic UT. I would try to push for 3hr A each time and possibly just a little more for the second A time if the first nap is good (1.5hr+).

I know it's too late for this now, but at this age my DS did a CN, long nap, CN. After the 45min morning CN, he could go 2hr awake and then sleep for a good 1.5-2hr.

Offline Georgena

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2013, 20:47:41 pm »
Ok, i will give that a try,would you PD at 3hrs or a little before?? I was so set on that 2nd nap being OT as it was 30 mins i didnt even think of going the other way!! ::)
As for today, well, its been a struggle, no sleep happening,got OT and wouldnt sleep, got 20 mins in the stroller!! Early to bed tonight!
Another thing ( sorry) , now shes gone through the night twice without a feed, if she wakes i should try to settle her without feeding,no??
Lets hope she has another good night ( famous last words!!) so i can stretch those A times tomorrow!

Offline katie80

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2013, 02:32:43 am »
Ok, i will give that a try,would you PD at 3hrs or a little before?? I was so set on that 2nd nap being OT as it was 30 mins i didnt even think of going the other way!! ::)
Well, 30min naps are often OT, but seeing as the A time isn't yet at 3hr and you struggle to resettle her, my guess is more on the UT side.  I would try putting down at 2:45-2:50 for morning nap, with the goal of having her asleep at 3hr.  I'd do the same for the pm nap for a few days and then maybe stretch to putting her down at 3hr.

Another thing ( sorry) , now shes gone through the night twice without a feed, if she wakes i should try to settle her without feeding,no??
It's up to you.  If she's had a tough day and is quite OT and struggling in the night, I'd be tempted to feed her to get her back to sleep if needed. I don't think it's a prop issue as she's shown you she is capable, and it's actually normal to have a bit of back and forth until the feed is really gone.

Offline Georgena

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2013, 13:22:21 pm »
No luck yeton the afternoon nap, i put her down at 2h55 yesterday but i think it was too soon, she was quite awake and took her a while to get to sleep then woke after 40 mins!! I will stretch it again today.
Dont want to speak too soon (shes nappig now) but her morning naps have been great, need to wake her at 2 hrs!! Nights are getting better but shes still waking early in the evening,and shes waking once at night for a feed, settling well after!
Will keep playing with the A time for the afternoon nap and keep you posted!
Enjoy your weekend!!  :)

Offline katie80

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2013, 01:50:32 am »
Sounds like progress and yes, I think that 2h55min was too short (it sounds like she ended up missing her window somewhere in there). Hope you had a good weekend too... how are things going?

Offline Georgena

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2013, 23:14:52 pm »
Hey,
So, weekend wasnt great wrt nappping,but for some reason weekends are always a bit off but,...today i got my angel baby back!!
Shes still waking once at night,but today she woke @ 6am, talked to herself for 20 mins then when back to sleep ;D i woke her at 7am, 1st nap PD at 3h5mins, had to wake her at 2hr mark then 2nd nap,same A time woke herself after 1hr30!!
Made bedtime nice and easy!! Its 20h here now,lets see how the rest of the evening goes!
Tummy seems to be better,giving more liquid which is helping,so now im giving her more filling foods,rather than just fruit! Might help with NW's,lets see!!
Thanks again for all your help, x

Offline katie80

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2013, 13:23:43 pm »
Sounds like great progress!  Hope the night went well! :)