Author Topic: 10 months old - these NWings are killing me!  (Read 1097 times)

Offline momma.bear

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
10 months old - these NWings are killing me!
« on: July 27, 2013, 11:28:22 am »
My DS has STTN once. That was a few months back. He's been getting better, and I would call a good night a night with 2 NWings, only one of them being a feeding. But that doesn't happen often. The past few weeks he's been waking up every 2-3 hours. Most times he'll only settle with a feeding. He just popped two teeth, and I know that two more are on the way, so part of me is hesitant to do anything right now, but at the same time I can't keep going on like this. This morning he was wide awake at 5:45. I'm at a loss for what to do. He is EBF, and his night feedings are usually under 5 minutes, but that seems to be the only thing that will settle him. I do give him tylenol, but that doesn't seem to help the NWings.
HELP!

Our EASY looks something like this:

6:15/6:30 wake up and BF
7:30 breakfast
9:30 - 10:45 nap
11:00 BF
12:00 lunch
2:00-3:30 nap
3:30 BF
5:00 dinner
6:30 BF and bed

*Lately for his naps he's been waking up after 45 minutes... I'll then BF him and he'll go back to sleep. Not sure if this is teething related or not.

Offline PaulsMom

• Showing Appreciation 41
Re: 10 months old - these NWings are killing me!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 03:16:13 am »
 Hugs hun for the nws.  Its hard when they are teething.  I know that for some bubs, bf causes more pain but for others it is soothing (my dd is like this).  I'm thinking that his A time needs to be pushed out some.  He's only doing 3.25 hr and he should be able to do 3.5 to 3.75 hrs.  So I would start to bump out his A gradually (esp since he is teething).  Hopefully with a longer A he won't wake at the 45 min mark but will sleep through. 
He is giving good naps and it may be possible that he's getting too much day time sleep.  But for now I'd focus on the A time increases and see if that reduces the nw and ew.  How does that sound?

Offline momma.bear

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 18:53:15 pm »
Thanks, I will give it a try. Yeah, bfing definitely seems to be soothing for him, because that is the only thing that will help him resettle. I'm just worried it will become a prop, and also I plan to stop bfing at a year, which is quickly approaching, and won't know how to deal with his nwings then! He's 10.5 months

Offline PaulsMom

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 02:46:55 am »
I think if its just when he's teething the nf may not become a prop.  I has the same concern about my dd but she decided it was time to STTN about a week ago. 

How's he doing with eating solids?  Is he getting lots in throughout the day?

Offline momma.bear

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 10:42:20 am »
Some days he eats a lot, others not much at all, but still seems to take the same amount of night feeds.

Offline PaulsMom

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 11:08:15 am »
Lets see how he does with increased A.  How many teeth does he have now? 

If you really want to stop or reduce the nf, then you could try the gradual withdrawal method.  (Perhaps you could try this in a few weeks if he's still waking?)
Gentle Removal Plan
I guess the tricky thing would be is that he feeds for such a short time.

Offline momma.bear

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 11:38:21 am »
He has two top teeth, and two more top teeth are coming through. The hard thing is that often he's awake after I nurse him so it's not that he needs it to fall asleep, he just finds it comforting.

Offline PaulsMom

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 14:15:49 pm »
Yeah, if that's the case it is just for comfort so unfortunately I don't have any great suggestions unless there is another way to comfort him (will he accept a paci?).  The top teeth seem to hurt more than the bottom ones.   Hugs to both of you!