Author Topic: I want to have another baby...8 month old won't take bottle.  (Read 1333 times)

Offline BBMama

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Hello! DD is 8 months old and started refusing the bottle at 4 months. She is EBF and is just now eating solids. We are trying to get pregnant again as I am an older mom and don't know how to get our stubborn little girl to get off the breast.
Should I focus only on sippy cup or push for the bottle?  We use a dropper and  glass to have her drink some formula, just to get used to the taste.

I would greatly appreciate any help!!! 

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
Re: I want to have another baby...8 month old won't take bottle.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 16:13:46 pm »
Is there a reason that you want her off the breast? I thought a lot of people got pg whilst breastfeeding!

If you are wanting her off then maybe try with breast milk at first, to give her one new thing at a time. My DS refused a bottle completely and then self weaned at 10.5 months as he discovered that he preferred the cup! We had a soft spouted cup that he had to suck to get milk through, so the action was pretty similar to feeding.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 03:13:59 am »
Agree hun - there are moms here who have gotten preggers and also BF through pregnancy and then in tandem as well..   Shuffling you to the BF boards as they have more experience with getting a BF baby to take a bottle...

Offline BBMama

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 18:26:51 pm »
Thanks!  My obgyn doctor is the one pushing me. Ill see what the other board says.

Thanks so much!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 22:49:31 pm »
Apparently BF LOs do well with straw cups but mine did just fine with a free-flow spout sippy. They weren't drinking 8ozs from one though.

How many BFs is she having? Is she feeding at night? Stopping NFs can really help by giving your body a longer stretch without a feed. I was still doing 4-5 BFs a day with my 11mo DS1 when I got pg with DS2. One of those feeds was a 4-5am NF I weaned shortly after falling pg.

Have you seen this support thread?
Pregnant and Breastfeeding/Tandem feeding Support Thread part 2
Many of us got pg while BFing. You don't have to answer this but if you are ovulating then there is no reason you couldn't get pg too.

We have a FAQ which has all the tips for getting a BF bubba to take a bottle. Have a read through and see what you thing may work for you.
Breastfed babies and bottles
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011