Author Topic: A little scared about introducing peanut butter  (Read 4757 times)

Offline Mama2Athena

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
A little scared about introducing peanut butter
« on: July 30, 2013, 18:40:49 pm »
Both my brother and I had allergies to tree nuts, shell fish, and chocolate that showed up when we were small kids (i.e. around 6 and 8 years of age).  Not sure why it didn't show up earlier.  Anyway, we had allergy tests to confirm it and weekly shots thereafter.  Our reactions consist of hives all over our bodies several hours after eating the above foods.  We eventually outgrew our allergies.

My DD is now 15 months old and I'm not sure why but I'm a little scared to introduce these foods, especially peanut butter.  I'd like to give her peanut butter for some protein since she tends to be picky with meat and food in general.  My 7 year old DS was introduced to these foods (without me knowing) by his daycare provider and he has no allergies so far.

Anyway, any advice for me to get over my fear of introducing my DD to peanut butter?  Short of parking myself outside the ER while giving her peanut butter, I'm not sure how else to calm my fears.  Her pediatrician gave me a script for an epi pen, but when I realized that it would entail me stabbing DD's thigh in the event of a reaction, I was put off.  Also not to mention, the cost for the epi pen is $$.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 18:42:32 pm by Mama2Athena »

Offline clazzat

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 286
Re: A little scared about introducing peanut butter
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 18:48:56 pm »
I would go and sit in the parking lot of the er and give her a peanut butter sandwich! Seriously, if she does have a reaction then you are in the right place, if she doesn't then no one need ever know you were there. You should go ahead and do it soon, otherwise you start getting to the point where there is a risk that she will be exposed to it without you knowing which could be much more serious.

As for stabbing her with an epi pen - you would absolutely be able to do it if her life depended on it, so don't panic too much about that. Just make sure that you know how it works so that you would be confident and able to do it in a hurry.

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 18:56:59 pm »
You could always test some on her skin first and see if she is contact reactive. If not I would go with a tiny bit of peanut butter on a spoon and if there is no reaction you could then try a sandwich. If you feel more comfortable doing this in the hospital car park then do so. If it was me I probably would given the family history of allergies.

I have had to administer the epipen to my son and believe me it is better than the possible alternative. When my son experienced his most severe reaction I did not hesitate. He ended up needing 2 more lots of adrenaline aswell as other meds but he is safe and well and that is the main thing.

Kelly x

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 19:03:15 pm »
 Nothing at all wrong with giving her a taste at her next checkup, while you are in the waiting room or whatever.  I might wait til her 18 month checkup and do it then. 

The US reccommendation is to wait until 24 months old.....does that lessen the chance of allergic reaction?

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 19:12:03 pm »
They are always changing the "theory" behind when to feed allergenic foods Anne. Our allergist suggested 3 years due to family history but lately I have read that feeding them sooner is better (though I still have not fed Spencer nuts!).  I would fill the epi script and do the pb at the Dr or ER. Someday I will manage to do that!

The thing is though, she may not react to the first dose if you will, a lot of reactions occur the second time or later. Plus past reactions dont predict future ones so even if she only got hives it could be worse the next time.
Heidi

Offline We Three

• The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 22:06:59 pm »
^^ In that case I'd do it at her 18 month checkup, and again at her 2 year checkup. Docs waiting room both times. 

Offline nwmm

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 22:10:17 pm »
I would do it in a safe place. I made sure there were no snow storms. Had benedryl right there. I felt safer giving a bit early--before mine were in a (young person) school setting.

Offline Mama2Athena

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 03:54:07 am »
Thank you all for your replies!  I think giving the peanut butter at her next doctor's appointment (18 months) is a VERY good suggestion :).  The recommendation for when to start pb is very confusing and always changing.

Now that I think about it, I guess I'm scared to give her pb because I'm awful at keeping a clear head in medical emergency situations.  Once when my DS was about 3.5, he spiked a fever and had a febrile seizure right before my eyes.  Even though he's had one before, I completely freaked out and had a hard time calling 911.  I was home alone and remember running outside with DS limp and unconscious in my arms screaming at the top my lungs and my neighbor had to call 911 for me :(
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 03:59:23 am by Mama2Athena »

Offline We Three

• The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 04:21:13 am »
Aww....I'm sorry that happened to you guys. My dd had a seizure too, right in front of me, when she was 4. Stopped breathing, even foamed at the mouth. It was the worst thing I have ever seen.  :'(  I would have said I would be incapacitated and paralyzed in that situation....but I wasn't. Utter hysteria, yes....but I was determined to get help.

I might guess that that experience with your DS will ring in your head and you'd be better if (God forbid) you ever had to call 911 again. Now that you've lived it, you'd react differently.  (((hugs)))

Always keep benedryl in the house too....just in case. I have heard it be said that it can act almost as fast as an epi pen.  :-\

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 04:28:48 am »
I would go for the epi pen personally. Benadryl is good, but it has to be taken orally and that sometimes might not be possible whereas the epi pen is in the body immediately. My sisters kids have anaphylactic allergies and they have the two dose kind of epi (not sure on the brand name).
Heidi

Offline We Three

• The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 05:00:02 am »
Oh I didn't mean 'instead of" the epi pen!! By all means, if you have an epi, then yes of course use it!!  I just mean, for those of us who don't have one, but might face a reaction that we're unaware of. I should have been clearer. My nephew (who is 12) has a lethal peanut/tree nut allergy, I know the epi pen is a life-saver.  I have such a sensitive girl....rashes and major skin reactions to things, that I always feel like I need to have benedryl around in the event of anything scary. 

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 05:57:58 am »
FWIW the first time you give a food is less likely to have a reaction than subsequent times, so really the 2nd or 3rd time or even 100th time  more likely to be when you get a reaction rather than the first.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2013, 22:32:24 pm »
following along - I still haven't given DD peanut butter either...

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2013, 22:45:02 pm »
Any family history of allergies Kara? That is all that is stopping me . Fed Masyn PB at one year, but now they have 3 first cousins with nut allergies (among other ones) and Spencer has other food allergies.

Heidi

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2013, 02:32:56 am »
See if your doctor or a nurse can hook you up with a "trainer" epi-pen -- when I was teaching, we did yearly epi-pen trainings (maybe you could find one of those?) where they'd tell you what to do and then you could use the trainer epi-pen to practice.  Might help you if you tend to panic.

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2013, 03:36:19 am »
Any family history of allergies Kara? That is all that is stopping me . Fed Masyn PB at one year, but now they have 3 first cousins with nut allergies (among other ones) and Spencer has other food allergies.

Oh yeah.. nothing on my side, but DH had really bad asthma as a kid and PB made is 1000x worse... we also have 6 nieces/nephews on his side - 3 are anaphylactic to peanuts and tree nuts (though I think we are fine there - DD has had almond milk just fine and shares my granola with almonds)... peanuts scare me!

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2013, 03:40:40 am »
Yikes! sounds like we are in the same boat...
Heidi

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2013, 03:41:10 am »
:(