Author Topic: 1 year old DS early wakenings  (Read 602 times)

Offline sayfinegan

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
1 year old DS early wakenings
« on: July 25, 2013, 17:12:28 pm »
My 1 year old DS woke up on his first birthday at 5:30 and has done so for a week now.  I am trying to work out what I need to change.  He is not walking but it trying to stand.

Goes down for the night @7pm
Wake up - 6:30
Nap at 10 - 11am

nap at 2pm - 3:30

I have always had to wake him from naps as he would always sleep longer in the day than he needed.

I decided yesterday to cut the first morning nap by 30 minutes but he still woke at 5:30.  He did not cry as much in the resettling process but he did not go back to sleep and we got him up an hour later.

He is tired at 3h 30 m after he wakes always and goes to sleep on his own.

Should I just try this new nap time of 30 minutes for a few days and see what happens.  I have though over the last two days about trying the 2-1 transition and have one big sleep in the afternoon but because he is starting the day so early he cannot handel it.

Your advice has always been more helpful in the past.  I should add that he did the 3-2 nap transition a bit earlier than expected.  My other DS did the 2-1 transition at aged 2y 3m.  They are very different nappers!
Sarah x

Offline cath~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
Re: 1 year old DS early wakenings
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 18:22:02 pm »
Hi there

It does sound like could be the start of 2-1 and he's about the right age (wow - you did well hanging on to two naps for over two years with your first!)

Have you read this?
From 2 to 1 nap transition (10-12m and older)

Like you said it is prob too soon to go straight to one nap but I would stick with the 30 min am nap for a few more days and see if that helps the EWs

Keep us posted.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline sayfinegan

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 20:21:27 pm »
Hello. Thank you so much for your help. I am now back to a 7 am wake time and a 12 hour night. Bliss. After 8 days of early wakening. I am still giving him just 30 minutes in the am. He has now let me see in gis mouth and he has two eye teeth coming in and have now cut through. I wonder if it was a bit teething in hiindsight. Do you think I should try and increase the morning nap again incase it was just teething? He has 2 cycles of being awake for 3 hours and then a 4 hour one before bedtime.

Thank you though. My sanity is back again.

Sarah x

Offline cath~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 20:59:34 pm »
Hello,
Pleased things have improved :)
Yes, teething can def throw a spanner in the works.
However, if he seems to be doing fine on a 30 min am nap (not getting OT) and you are happy with his BT and WU time then IIWM I wouldn't change anything for now.
HTH
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old