Author Topic: Going wheat free for 8 wks  (Read 21482 times)

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Going wheat free for 8 wks
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2013, 20:44:41 pm »
He has been tested for a wheat allergy which came back negative.

Honestly, I don't really trust test results for allergies...even my allergist considers an allergy to be a true allergy if there is a reaction.  Spencer tested negative on scratch and blood tests to all the things she reacts to.

The juice for sure could have been a contributor...what kind of juice? S used to get major runs from citrus fruits, whether in juice or eating it.
Heidi

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2013, 20:53:13 pm »
If you have been keeping a food diary have there been other times he has had apple juice or fruit shoots?

Sweeteners can trigger IBS, as can cruciferous veg. Maybe google other IBS triggers?

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2013, 21:34:38 pm »
I haven't been keeping a diary since we started this but probably should yes.

It was apple juice Heidi. He does have apple juice regularly but I usually dilute it so he gets about 20ml of apple juice and 80ml of water and I limit it to one or max two drinks a day. The rest of the day he has milk or water. The fruit shoots he only has at special events like parties or family barbecues about once a month. We usually get the My-5 ones which are juice and water with no sweeteners but this was a sugar-free one with aspartame. DH actually reacts badly to aspartame but it is more a spaced out, dizzy or hyper feeling than bowel issues. Cadan does tend to have bad poops at such parties so maybe it is the drinks. Citrus fruits like orange and grapefruits don't seem to agree with him. They come out with the cells undigested and cause runny poops but that may be just from all the fibre, I don't know.

He is terrible at eating veg apart from carrots which he loves and only eats most veg at the end of a meal when I tell him he needs to eat X number of spoonfuls before he will get pudding ;) or if I hide it in a stew or bolognaise. I think he only ate a whole carrot and 2 baby corns at the roast dinner and the cabbage, leeks, mange tout and green beans were left untouched (yes there was a lot of veg in that meal).

I will google IBS triggers thanks.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2013, 21:37:24 pm »
Sorry got you muddled with Clazzat who was starting a food diary  ::). I am surprised your dietician didn't suggest that as well. I would have thought it was more of an intolerance than an allergy and it is a minefield trying to figure out the triggers there.

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2013, 21:39:49 pm »
I kept a food and symptoms diary for 2 wks before I saw the dietician and she didn't even look at it. It was helpful for me because she did ask me what a typical day's food looked like and I was able to tell her because of the food diary. I will start again tomorrow.

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2013, 22:15:16 pm »
Cadan said very sweetly to me today "when it's my birthday I want you to do only food that doesn't have any wheat in it so I can eat whatever I want ok?" It broke my heart. His birthday isn't until December and he knows we have 3 family members with birthdays before his so he has an idea that it is quite far away. :'(

He has been doing so well and has been very agreeable when we say he can't have something. At a kiddies' festival on Friday DH forgot and let him decorate a cupcake at a table and then I had to remind them that he couldn't eat it. He said he had done it for Colby and didn't want to eat it anyway. But he was sad and I know he was lying to cover up his disappointment  :'(

It is the boys baptism on Sunday and we are getting a cake made by our favourite bakery. They don't do gluten free though. They did say if we give them a gluten free sponge they can decorate it identically to the one we are having made. Does anyone know a good recipe for a GF vanilla or chocolate sponge cake?

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2013, 23:41:19 pm »
Oh Ali, I'm just following along till now. Lots of hugs. Is hard on them isn't it having diet restrictions :-*
Hope you get a lovely GF sponge recipe for C
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
***Sara***

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2013, 07:21:32 am »
Thanks

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2013, 20:05:58 pm »
it is hard isn't it...Henry is the same. Everything he picks up now he asks me if it has dairy in it bless him. I think if it was a true allergy you know you are doing the right thing but tbh nobody seems to have a clue if dairy is even an issue in our case so sometimes I feel bad for not allowing him food which could well be fine. Hopefully we will both work it out...was going to say 'get to the bottom of it' but in our cases not a good phrase!

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2013, 20:57:48 pm »
Yes Becky exactly.

Cadan definitely hasn't had wheat since gravy-gate at the weekend but yesterday he had an awful poop in the potty. TMI but it was like a bowl of mushy peas that had a glass of beer poured in it  :-X There was a lot of undigested apple in there so it made me think of this article about toddler diarrhoea that another BW mum PMed me. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2397789/Misery-mums-warned-Toddler-Diarrhoea-months-years--cause-unknown.html The longer this goes on with the wheat free diet really not helping the more it makes me think the cause for us and I need to be more on top of the fruit, juice, fat and fibre intakes.

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2013, 21:58:29 pm »
Sorry Ali didn't read the link but have you read up on fructose malabsorption? Apple way worse than oranges.

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2013, 22:38:40 pm »
The link was just about toddler diarrhoea.

Thanks Anna I just googled fructose malabsorption and will look into it. I did specifically ask about fructose as I know fruit aggregates Cadan's condition but the dietician was dismissive and suggested that was only a problem with artificial sweeteners but I think she was obviously thinking about something else. I will ask the paed next time we go and see if she is more helpful.

Poo was back to normal again this evening.

DH made a delicious flourless chocolate cake for Cadan for the christening so he will be happy. It is actually really tasty and lucky me got to do a couple taste tests. Love me DH.

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2013, 06:33:12 am »
I know apple juice can irritate some kids so def worth eliminating that if you suspect an issue.

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2013, 07:48:34 am »
Pear is also very high in fructose so maybe keep that away too. Jenny gave me is great site to keep an eye on fructose as we think T is a little intolerant to sugar. Www.thefartingpear.com (I think that's it!)
***Sara***