Author Topic: Going wheat free for 8 wks  (Read 21467 times)

Offline koe2moe

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2013, 08:27:50 am »
Lots of hugs, Ali.  Does he complain of any discomfort?  Bloating?  Pain?  Twisting? 

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Going wheat free for 8 wks
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2013, 08:45:17 am »
Thanks Sara. Lovely name ;) we don't tend to get pears anyway as I don't like them and the kids only like them perfectly ripe if they are in the mood so I don't bother really.
I also read this site.
http://scdlifestyle.com/2010/09/why-fructose-malabsorption-causes-gas-cramping-and-diarrhea-and-how-to-bea-it/ I have signed up for their free email guide but not read it yet.

Not really Koe. He might say he has a tummy ache occasionally immediately before he does a poo but I think it is really just a normal feeling of things moving down in there. He isnt upset or in a lot of pain or anything and it lasts seconds rather than minutes.

I'm hesitant to change anything else just yet though until after we finish at least 6 weeks of the wheat-free diet so that I can see what it is that is working or not. The dietician warned me about that.

I definitely appreciate all your ideas and will definitely work on them one by one if things don't improve.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2013, 10:40:48 am »
I'm hesitant to change anything else just yet though until after we finish at least 6 weeks of the wheat-free diet so that I can see what it is that is working or not. The dietician warned me about that.
I agree - 1 thing at a time x

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2013, 21:37:37 pm »
Agree with Becky to do one thing at a time.

Olly has suffered with fructose malabsorption. In fact only today have I bought a mango to trial that over the weekend. With all his problems he has never had diarrhoea though, for him to was, and still is to some degree, gas. We have been trialling apple and next week I am going into nursery to take it off his forbidden list! YAY small victory here  ;D

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2013, 17:24:51 pm »
Hi ALi, how are things going? Still on any special diet?

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2013, 18:26:10 pm »
Hi. Thanks for asking. Yes he is still wheat free. He is so cute, he asks if everything has wheat in now before eating it.
I'm confused tbh. He had a week of on-off runny poos around 14-18 Aug then another one on 22 aug and another one (more a big follow through when he passed wind) around 13 Sept. in between he has been relatively symptom-free. Apart from the possible wheat in the gravy on  18 aug he hasn't had any wheat and I've been really careful so not sure why those others would have happened if it is the wheat.
We have an appt with the paed in the morning so I'm going to discuss reintroducing it as a trial. Bad timing since he starts nursery 5 mornings a week this week.
Then I guess I'll discuss the fructose.

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2013, 18:41:13 pm »
I'm confused tbh. He had a week of on-off runny poos around 14-18 Aug then another one on 22 aug and another one (more a big follow through when he passed wind) around 13 Sept. in between he has been relatively symptom-free.
I have found the exact same thing with H. It is SO hard to figure anything out with these diet sheets. Some days we seem to have a reaction, other days not to the same or v similar food stuff.

Hugs!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2013, 18:44:52 pm »
He is so cute, he asks if everything has wheat in now before eating it.

Ah bless him :-*. I have never made a big deal about Olly's allergies to him and so it is only recently really that he has talked about it, Today I asked him if he wanted pizza (from Sains free from range) but he said no he was allergic to pizza. First time in 3.5 years he has said this  :'( he knows he eats differently but heaahs really understood why TBH.

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2013, 19:05:36 pm »
I guess it is all new for Cadan and sometimes if we are eating with others who have wheat in their lunch or snacks etc or if we eat out at a restaurant where we all order what we want, I have to tell him he can't have it. Plus I must admit with things like bread or biscuits DH, Colby and I still have the normal version and he has his own wheat-free version. Is that mean? I try to get things like sausage and pasta that are wheat-free so we all have the same but some hings are just such a tiny expensive packet and taste so different it is easier to just let him eat the free-from version and we have the normal type.

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2013, 19:12:33 pm »
Plus I must admit with things like bread or biscuits DH, Colby and I still have the normal version and he has his own wheat-free version. Is that mean?
I did the same when H was dairy free x

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2013, 22:20:11 pm »
Paeds appt was a waste of time. The consultant was sick so we saw her colleague who didn't know the history and didn't want to make any decisions. She emailed the dietician to ask her to contact me about doing a wheat trial but I haven't heard back yet. Our next appt isn't until end of Oct.

If I want to trial wheat do I just give him some to eat and see? A lot? A little bit? Does it matter what?

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2013, 09:43:49 am »
A lot so you are sure and get a decent reaction if any. Not sure what.???

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2013, 20:23:53 pm »
If I want to trial wheat do I just give him some to eat and see? A lot? A little bit? Does it matter what?

No idea to be honest  ???  Maybe start another thread as I am sure some on on here must have had to trial wheat?

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2013, 21:23:42 pm »
Well I just went ahead and gave him some crusty bread we were having on Friday. Then I let him have bread again on Saturday and an ice cream cone. He's had something with wheat every day since. He was fine until yesterday (day 4) when he has a little runny poo come out when he passed wind. He had had brown bread earlier in the day so maybe it was that? I always thought too much fibre gave him symptoms. He was fine again today even though he had brown bread again. I have bought him some white he can eat from tomorrow.

So does it seem he is ok with wheat judging by his response here? Or will it take a while to aggravate his intestines? Should I start a new thread asking that?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 21:43:49 pm by *Ali* »

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2013, 21:32:49 pm »
I am try to think of anyone with any coeliac knowledge but don't know anyone :( I would just be noting everything down and hope the dietician calls!