Author Topic: 8.5 month old fussy with solids  (Read 2951 times)

Offline amg11881

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 31, 2013, 16:09:34 pm »
Hi all-
We started our LO with solids (puree's) at six months.  She was doing fine but in the last few weeks has been really fussy when it comes time to eat solids.  We have been trying finger foods in addition to puree's, and she will pick them up but won't put any of of it in her mouth.  Any tips on how to help her enjoy/eat more solids--and also any thoughts on how to shift her feeding schedule?  I'm not sure she needs four bm feedings still but I'm hesitant to change it without knowing what to do (like perhaps, give her solids first and then bm? or do them closer together, rather than an hour apart?)

Thanks in advance!

Schedule:
6:30am-BF
7:30/8am-oatmeal/yogurt/fruit (puree and/or ff)
9:30/10-nap
11/11:30-BF
12/12:30-solids-fruits/veggies
2/2:30-nap
4/4:30-BF
5/5:30-solids-fruit/veggies/ff
7pm-BF
7:15/7:30pm-BT

Note: She has also had diarrhea on and off for the past week.  She had a virus last week so I thought it was associated with that but still seems to happen from time to time.  Could this be an allergic reaction to something she is eating?

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: 8.5 month old fussy with solids
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 22:28:31 pm »
Teething possibly?

Offline amg11881

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 02:13:34 am »
I have definitely wondered about that but feel like I hear conflicting things about it--teething does/doesn't cause diarrhea and fevers...

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 03:46:55 am »
For sure there are conflicting theories... The most common seems to be that teething itself doesn't cause diarrhea but the excessive saliva created and swallowed does... it is know to make poops more acidic and cause a rash that almost looks like a mild burn - just general redness that is quite bright.

As for the fever aspect - no, baby won't generally be warm enough to have an actual fever, but he/she will feel warmer than usual to momma.  It's one of those momma instinct things really... I used to notice it when I kissed DD on the forehead - it would feel warmer than normal (almost like how you would feel if you sat in a nice hot bath for 20 mins!).

Do she have any teeth yet?

Offline amg11881

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 12:31:25 pm »
No teeth yet!  Thanks for the tips though.  I think she had a virus last week and that's what caused the fever and diarrhea, I was just surprised that the diarrhea lasted into this week so wasn't sure if something else was up.

Anyone have any thoughts on our feeding schedule?  I feel like I need to shift things a bit but not sure what to do.

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 14:07:07 pm »
Will defer to the BFing mommas but I am certain that 4 BFs a day is the standard at this age (until 10-11 months if I recall correctly).

Offline amg11881

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 19:08:55 pm »
Ok, thanks that's good to know!  But what do you think about the order and timing of the solids/BF?

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 01:43:05 am »
Will defer to the BFing mommas but I am certain that 4 BFs a day is the standard at this age (until 10-11 months if I recall correctly).
Definitely 4 feeds is normal at this age and from what I've read it seems as if you should continue with the 4 feeds until the 12 month mark.  :)
Your schedule looks perfect for a BF LO of this age -- you want to keep milk first until a year as well to make sure it's the primary source of nutrition.  Like Kara said, I would suspect that teeth might be playing a role -- just keep offering and try not to worry too much!

Offline amg11881

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 15:40:57 pm »
Ok, thanks.  The reassurance helps alot!  What do you think about the order though--keep doing BM and then an hour later solids?  Or should I switch and do solids first and then BM?  Also not sure if those should be closer together or not (so doin, ag one right after the other)? 

Finally, any tips on encouraging my DD to pick up and eat finger foods?  Right now we're just modeling:)

Thanks as always!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 00:38:59 am »
keep doing BM and then an hour later solids
This is what I did, and what I usually see other ladies around here doing as well.  It makes sure that they're hungry enough to nurse well at nursing times, but will have a little appetite for solids (which is all you're really looking for at this age).

The interest seems to just come with time -- 2 out of my 3 were not all that into solids until around 9 months when they couldn't get enough!  I'd just keep leaving it in front of her and she'll get it eventually. 

Offline amg11881

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 01:08:19 am »
Ok, great thanks for the advice!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 20:54:55 pm »