Author Topic: 3 month old frustrated at breast  (Read 1111 times)

Offline Regina Phalange

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: August 01, 2013, 19:23:52 pm »
My 3 month old has recently started popping off the breast frequently once we get about half way through a feeding, and starts to get angry. I can't figure it out. He'll relatch himself, even when his face is turned away, so it's not that I'm shoving my nipple in his mouth when he doesn't want it. And he's often relatching aggressively, which makes me thing he's still quite hungry. I'll check with a little hand expression into the receiving blanket, and there's usually still plenty in there, and the flow doesn't seem to be too fast or two slow. He'll take a few pulls, then turn his head away, then come back, then pull off again. And after a few minutes, he actually starts to get quite angry, and begins to cry. If I put the boob away, so it's nowhere near him anymore, he stops getting angry though, and will just be content looking around.
On the one hand, maybe he's not hungry anymore, and getting upset that there's milk, but then why is he latching back on with such aggressiveness? He doesn't seem to go too strongly for his hands in those times, and won't keep a pacifier in his mouth, so I don't think it's just a need to suckle.
Or maybe he's upset because he wants it to come faster? He doesn't usually do it when I give him a bottle of expressed milk, so this does seems likely to me. But I don't know what to do about it if that's the case. He really doesn't get bottles all that often (dream feed is the only regular one), so I wouldn't think he's refusing breast because he prefers the bottle, as he doesn't get a bottle often enough (when awake) to make a faster flow something he'd expect.
He still has enough wet diapers, but it feels like they aren't often as wet as they used to be. But then that could be my imagination, because I'm looking for it.
Is this a common thing? Am I missing something?

Offline eva026

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 32
Re: 3 month old frustrated at breast
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 17:27:33 pm »
Are you sure there is not chance it's a nursing strike? Mine got the bottle only for DF and occasionally during the day and still managed to develop a preference. From what you are describing his reactions sound like my DD's.
Have you tried changing the bottle to a newborn nipple so he has to work hard to get the milk out? What helped us was the Medela Calma bottle because nothing comes out at all if you don't suck hard. Although it is pretty expensive and I have heard some LOs don't take to it because of the strange shape. It took a few tries to convince DD to use it but it sure solved our flow preference straight away.

Offline eva026

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 17:29:00 pm »
Take a look here for tip on how to coax baby back to BF:

Is my baby weaning or is it a nursing strike?

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 20:22:06 pm »
What happens if you switch breast?  Does he go for it on that one or is it the same sort of reaction?

Might be a way to work out whether it's a flow rate thing of if now "halfway" is the new "full"
*** Amanda ***