Author Topic: Upper lip tie  (Read 1269 times)

Offline cuckoochick

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 136
  • Mummy to Charlotte Rose and Georgia May
Upper lip tie
« on: August 02, 2013, 20:13:04 pm »
Somebody posted  a pic on the local LLL group so,out of interest I looked at G tonight and it looks like she may have one. She's asleep now but I'll try and post a pic tomorrow and double check.

Could this explain some of the problems we've been having, in particular, the wind issues? Could this be the issue rather than it actually being reflux? Or just another issue too? She often slips off mid latch but I've put it down to having lots of milk (she often splutters too) and things getting a bit wet.

Her weight gain has been fab 7-12oz in a week!!!) so I guess it's not causing that big of a problem in terms of weight gain etc but could be attributing to discomfort?? Anything I should be doing? I read some people try to flange out the lip but my boobs and areole are that big I don't know how I'd do that? ???

*Nicola*

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
Re: Upper lip tie
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 18:14:35 pm »
Sorry to have missed you. Brief reply as on phone but yes it could be causing issues with discomfort. Is there any tongue tie to go with it? Re. discomfort, are you getting misshapen nipples too?
*** Amanda ***

Offline cuckoochick

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 18:56:29 pm »
No not really, nipples aren't being flattened and no discomfort. Sometimes when her latch is lazy my areola at the base of the nipple can feel a little grazed but this tends to be when she Is fussy during cluster feeding. We do Have issues with her slipping off and taking air in.

DH and I looked again and it definitely looks like pics I've seen on google.

*Nicola*

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 20:02:56 pm »
I was chatting with a BFC friend while I was away and she was saying that unless there are weight gain or maternal pain issues, a lot of professionals won't divide lip ties (heck, it's hard enough sometimes to get a TT divided when it IS causing those types of issues).

Have you tried an exaggerated latch (just google it)?
*** Amanda ***

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 20:07:22 pm »
I did see your post Nicola but since I don't know much about lip ties I was leaving it for 24hrs in the hope you would get a reply from someone (like Amanda) who knows what they are talking about.

I can say that when my two would splutter and come off they found it very difficult to get a good latch when their lips and my nipple was wet so I would dry it off with a muslin before attempting to relatch them.

Can you mention it to the GP at your 6wo check?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline cuckoochick

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 20:20:26 pm »
Ali no problem hun! :-* I thought Amanda would be the one to answer as she's the resident tie expert! :-*

Oh and the muslin thing is exactly what I have been doing! ;D  I never used muslins with C but they are indispensable with G!

Amanda, I was just saying to DH I need to work on getting her to widen her latch. Have heard of exaggerated latch so will look it up and give it a try.

Was not overly concerned other than I'd like to avoid the wind as much as possible. Feeding is going pretty well at the moment and I'm feeling much more relaxed about it all and enjoying it a lot more than I was. :)

Thanks ladies :-*

*Nicola*

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 20:23:34 pm »
If you found your way to a Big Latch On today, it was most likely organised by some sort of BF support group, so you could pop along and get someone to have a look at your positioning and attachment and see if they can iron out any kinks by having an IRL look at things.
*** Amanda ***

Offline cuckoochick

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 20:25:20 pm »
Yeah, it was through the local LLL group on Facebook. I have the number of a leader I could contact but she's just gone on holiday. Will see how things go and just try to widen out that latch as much as possible.

*Nicola*

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 20:29:49 pm »
One way of achieving that is really making sure you're getting nose to nipple in such a way that she has to tip her head back with a widely gaped mouth before latching on.  I was getting it so wrong with that until my friend looked at what I was doing.  I was starting with D's nose next to nipple and needed to shuffle her down a little.
*** Amanda ***