Author Topic: Confused about feeding advice re: reducing night feeds  (Read 1223 times)

Offline LovelyLilyandJack

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
  • Formerly lovelylily
Confused about feeding advice re: reducing night feeds
« on: August 04, 2013, 12:59:04 pm »
I've noticed that if my breastfed baby will deign to take an additional 6 or 7 ozs during the day from a top up bottle he effectively drops a feed at night - or at least goes 8 hours at night instead of 5 or 6. The trouble is,  he's in charge (as always!) and goes through phases where he'll take the extra milk in the day and phases when he won't.  I'd obviously like to encourage more milk in the day but how do i best do this?  Some sites say to feed more often in the day (so offer a feed at the start and end of his A time? ), but the general trend over the first year is to space feeds out more to encourage a good feed and longer stretches for sleep. So which should i do?  I'm happy to combination feed from now on so I'm up for anything really! He already has a bottle at bedtime and one in the night.

Offline brummum

• Showing Appreciation 56
Re: Confused about feeding advice re: reducing night feeds
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 18:32:57 pm »
Hi there, I'm going to move this to Breast feeding board hon to get some more knowledgable eyes on it for you.

• Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 19:07:18 pm »
Great, thanks.  I wasn't sure where to post it....

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 20:07:39 pm »
Here is what Tracy says in the sleep interview.

" Q: So if night wakings are starting again, and it’s clearly hunger, you would feed him that night, but the very next day start trying to increase the calories?

T: Yes, get the extra calories in wherever you can. Don’t even thinkaboutthe clock. So if they get up at 7 and feed, you give them a couple more ounces at, say, 9. Whatever you fed them in the night you’ve got to make upthe next day – let’s say he woke up at 2am and gulped down 8 ounces. Then you’ve got to get 8 extra ouncesinthe nextday. It doesn’t meaninone bottleor feed. Itmaymean you’ve gottoadd anounce toevery bottle/feed they’re having in the day. Say they’re having4 feeds/bottles,that’s anextra4 ounces. Then, say after an hour that they’ve fed, you give themanounce. And then another hour later, you give them another ounce. And thenit’s notuntilaboutthe third day that they’ll start to adjust during the day so they can take all the extra theyneed at regular feed times. But if they’ve been sleeping throughthe night,and suddenlythey start waking, I could put money on it that it’s hunger, and it’s calories"

Here is the link to the whole interview A Special Sleep Interview with Tracy Hogg
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

• Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 20:30:14 pm »
That's brilliant,  thank you! I read that sleep interview a while ago but forgot it covered night feeds. Will start tomorrow :)