Author Topic: Is it ok to give someone else's LO a bath?  (Read 3060 times)

Offline Emami

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
Is it ok to give someone else's LO a bath?
« on: August 06, 2013, 11:47:01 am »
It is a yucky rainy day here. DD is 23 months, and on Tuesdays and Thursdays I also look after a 19mo.  It's too wet to go outside and if I just had dd I would drive to an indoor play place or something, but I only have one car seat and there's not really anywhere like that that's walkable (plus we'd get wet!)

DD has plenty of toys here but I feel like we all get a little stir crazy if we stay in all day, so I'm thinking about sticking the girls in the tub to play for a while.  Is this weird?  I don't think I'd mind if I was the other mum, but on the other hand I wouldn't expect my dd to come back from someone else having had a bath when she doesn't need one!  Should I just do it and not say anything, or ask her if she's ok with it?  I'm just not sure about getting someone else's kid naked unnecessarily!
Emma

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
Re: Is it ok to give someone else's LO a bath?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 11:57:19 am »
I totally wouldn't mind if it were my DD! I wouldn't even think of it as a bath, just water play in the tub. Do you have swimsuits you could put on them - tell them they're going swimming?! But if you're concerned, maybe you could text the other mum and phrase it like "just wondering if your DD is keen on water as we're feeling a bit cooped up here and I know my DD would love to play in the bathtub for a while".
*Nuala*

Offline brummum

• Showing Appreciation 56
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 12:06:13 pm »
I would be totally okay with that if it were my little guy.

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 12:11:43 pm »
I wouldn't use any soaps or shampoos unless you know specifically which ones LO is allowed. In clear water, with toys, I see no problem with it and would totally do it. Sounds like fun!

Offline Emami

• Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 12:48:42 pm »
Thanks, she will be here soon and yes, I meant water play more than an actual bath to get clean :) Think we're in for some splashing and wet floor!  Ugh, hate rainy days though
Emma

Offline 15milner

• Showing Appreciation 211
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 12:50:49 pm »
sounds like fun.  If you were outside on  a sunny day - it would be a paddling / splash pool in the garden.  Why not do it inside in the bath!!

Offline katie80

• Showing Appreciation 220
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 13:40:08 pm »
I would be ok with it too, but if it were me, I'd ask the other mom, just like Nuala mentioned. 

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 14:36:01 pm »
I would be ok with it too, but if it were me, I'd ask the other mom, just like Nuala mentioned. 
Me too. I think if you are looking after a child who is still in nappies or needs help to go to the toilet and wipe then there is already an agreement that you see and touch their body to the degree essential for clean nappy changes.  I would always ask anyway but would consider it even more important to ask if the child is older or able to toilet independently because then there is no prior agreement on seeing their body, I'd also offer spare swim wear or a pair of pants if the child didn't have swimwear with them.  If that makes sense.