Author Topic: Almost 12 months, throws food, wont eat 3meals?  (Read 6215 times)

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Almost 12 months, throws food, wont eat 3meals?
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2013, 18:51:45 pm »
Well then I'd give her a tiny little snack, maybe a few tiny cubes of cheese and a few raisins. Or a couple of apple slices, or two strawberries, or a couple of cucumber sticks. Enough to tide her over for an hour, but not enough to fill her up at all.

I would do the same! Good luck!
Heidi

Offline confusedmummy

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2013, 12:06:16 pm »
Just chipping in to say that my DD is exactly the same she is almost 11months and pretty much most food is spat out, esp veggies all of them. As soon as she realises the texture is different to meat she spits it out and it's driving me nut. I'm still giving puréed food to get veggies in her. It's really frustrating and I'm worried about her vitamins etc.

So I'm wishing you luck and following along in the hope I can get some ideas x

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2013, 12:17:43 pm »
Hun I really wouldn't resort to purees, I think it will be a rod for your own back. They do go through phases with food. We can't make them eat, our job is just to provide balanced, healthy meals. If you're worried about vitamins how about getting her some drops like Abidec?

Offline brummum

• Showing Appreciation 56
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2013, 12:31:00 pm »
Just want to say I totally agree with the advicr you've been given, I think its very difficult when you have a baby whose always eaten well and then they don't, I was convinced little man needed more based on previous but he didn't and I found things greatly improved when I stopped focusing on it, offerred him a balanced diet (only made one meal but tried to make sure at each meal there was something that was a dead cert) but didn't worry if he didnt want it and stopped trying to force the issue with him (not saying you are doing this). In terms of throwing on the floor, we had this for ages... I used to say to him 'you don't have to eat it but it doesn't go on the floor' and if he continued then I took it as him saying he didn't want it and offered the rest of the meal or finished it there. I also would offer him a 'are you done?' With a sign when he looked like he was finished and messing around with his food, eventually he started pushing the plate away and signing 'done' instead of shouting at me and chucking food on the floor! Didn't happen over night though!

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 14
  • Gail
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2013, 14:24:16 pm »
brummum so when you say the food thrwoing lasted for "ages", how long exactly is that?

She is starting to so a bit better but still not great, my HV suggested going back to purree's but i said no chance, i havent spent 6 months weaning to start from the beginning again.

I think she is starting to want to feed herseld as she is trying to use her spoon more and more so maybe this has something to do with it?

My beautiful spirited little angel

My angel baby girl

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2013, 16:13:43 pm »
Oh def give her some more independence, it was a big thing for us at this age.  Load up a spoon then put it on her plate for her to pick up and feed herself, try to have some finger foods in at least one meal etc

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2013, 18:00:15 pm »
Hi Katherine, OMG look at the size of J she is a big girl now and so beautiful  :D

Well today she ate normal pasta spirals with a tomato sauce, she just picked it up so thats good. If she eats that kind of thing how much should i expect her to eat, it doesn't look like much but i guess its more filling for her. I was going to try the filled tortelini but i can't imagine she would eat more than 2 of them?

my new problem is when she is at the CM she is having 1 x 2.5hr nap but isn't hungry enough to eat lunch before it at 11:30 but if she takes it after she wakes its around 14:45 / 15:00 so she then wont eat her dinner. There is always something  ???

I am also trying to get her onto cows milk but she is not having it.

My angel baby girl

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2013, 18:03:51 pm »
She's on formula at the moment isn't she?  You can gradually 'dilute' her formula with cows milk to get her used to it - so start with 1oz cows milk and then the rest formula and gradually build up :)

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2013, 18:30:12 pm »
Yeah she is, i will start that tomorrow i tried all cow's milk and it was just point blank refused  ;D

My angel baby girl

Offline brummum

• Showing Appreciation 56
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2013, 07:54:20 am »
Erm.... 3-4 months?! Could the cm split lunch, so yoghurt and fruit before nap, pasta after for example? I agree Katherine, gorgeous new avatar! I remember an episode of baby whisperer when she showed a mom the size of her toddlers stomach and it actually takes a lot less than you think to fill it up.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2013, 10:48:38 am »
Hi my LO had a similar phase at 12 months and agree with all of above! One thing I tried was giving LO a plastic fork he loves trying to stab pasta, or cheese, mini bits of pizza or cheese on toast etc and while he's occupied he's happy for a few spoonfuls to go in from me ;-)
Also I find if its something on my plate he really wants it...
I often do split lunch like today we had early WU and nap 11.15 so I gave him his lunch at 10.55 but a smaller amount and then he will have some of our lunch after his nap, normally I'd do fruit and yog and main food after but we have visitors arriving so I know he will be too occupied so swapped it today!

At 12 months mine was only having BT bottle and had swapped morning one for milk in a cup which took a week or 2 for him to like but now loves it cold from the fridge! In the night we only ever offer water and have done for months now or he wouldn't eat breaki x
Zoe

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2013, 10:57:32 am »
Yes that's the other thing with milk - you could just cold turkey cut out one bottle and offer cows milk in a cup at that time.  If she has some fine, if she doesn't also fine.  She doesn't need it so much from a nutritional point of view at this age.  This is kind of what I did (although I was breastfeeding) and initially J took very little milk at all.  I kind of just went with it and after a while, probably several weeks she started taking more and now will often have several oz. 

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2013, 11:03:02 am »
3-4 months  :o, well i guess we are already 2 months in.

I think i will try the plastic fork as she is struggling to keep anything on the spoon but she is trying very hard. So today she took 1/2 formula, 1/2 cows milk so im just going to try it all cows milk again tomorrow.

When you were transitioning from the bottle to the sippy cup (i've been trying to get a straw cup with handles but cant find one anywhere), i see you said it took a couple of weeks, so did you just stop offering the bottle altogether and if he took it good and if not he went without or did you still offer the bottle at all?

So what would you offer for finger foods for a proper meal, she will eat snack things as finger foods but what would be classed and filling enough as finger foods for a full meal and if she wont eat it and just throws it should i keep trying to spoon food in or does this just defeat the purpose of giving her finger foods?

My angel baby girl

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2013, 11:04:13 am »
Oops posted with you Katherine, that answers my question about the cup and bottle thanks x

My angel baby girl

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2013, 11:12:22 am »
You could use pasta tubes/spirals, slices of omelette/frittata - might be worth having a look here for some ideas: BLW recipes Steamed/roast veg, strips of meat, pretty much anything that doesn't need a spoon to eat it with (like yoghurt/soup) could be an easy finger food :)