Author Topic: 7.5 mo bf gone wonky  (Read 1099 times)

Offline CoraDora

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
7.5 mo bf gone wonky
« on: August 07, 2013, 18:33:31 pm »
Dd2 was a 3 hourly feeder from about week 1 and a 4 hourly feeder from about 4 months ie very textbook.

Bf has gone a bit wonky a little after weaning began, and I also blame the hot weather! I've been trying to feed her 4 hourly in the day but she just doesn't seem that interested. However, she has been waking several times in the nights for a feed (although I am not always corpus mentus enough to remember if she's actually fed, or just suckled back to sleep!) and, as it has been so hot, I didn't want to deny her the feed.

Basically, I would like some advice on how to rebalance big feeds in the day and less at night.

A typical day is like this (A time typically is 3 hours):
Wu 5:30
E (if she fed a while ago, but if she fed at 4am then I will wait a bit)
A (inc solids)
S 8:30 (sometimes a long 1.5hr nap, sometimes 45mins)
A
E 10:30
A (inc solids)
S 12:15 or 13:00 depending on first nap
A
E 14:30
A
S (maybe a small cn of 15 mins)
A (inc solids)
E 17:30
S 18:00

It's all a bit of a muddle! There's all kinds of things going on - weaning, developmental milestones (crawling almost), the heat, and a bit of teething (last week).

She'll usually wake early evening too - between 9 and 10pm, which means I can't really go out (we're not using bottles at all - can't be bothered to express!). So is this hunger/thirst, or have I become a prop to go back to sleep?

Interestingly, yesterday I went to a spa for 4 hours (10:30-14:30) and when I tried to feed her at 10am, she wasn't interested - she had been fed at 5 and 7am, so that may be why, but this didn't stop me panicking a bit about how she was going to last for four hours. However, I didn't need to worry as she was fine as she had eaten quite a lot of food and didn't even have a big feed when I got back to her after the spa! So I think she could probably last longer at night.

Sorry this is such a ramble - I hope someone out there can lend a few tips!

Offline CoraDora

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 7.5 mo bf gone wonky
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 17:28:45 pm »
I think I might try the strategy of upping her calories in the day by offering boob more often - what do you think?

Offline Fiver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 19:10:54 pm »
I think I'd go with that idea too and, depending what quantity of solids you've been giving, perhaps cut back on those a bit too.
*** Amanda ***

Offline CoraDora

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 08:40:19 am »
Thanks for replying - it feels like such a mess at the mo. She was waking every hour to two hours last night - sometimes she'd self settle, sometimes she'd rolled over and needed rolling back and patting and sometimes I fed her because she wouldn't settle easily.

I think as she has become more mobile, she has started to wake more and I have been guilty of AP by feeding her each time. I would help her self settle/pupd (we have done this with her when weaning her off the dummy and swaddle at 5 months - so we know she can do it) but as she is feeding so erratically in the day, she is probably hungry too, or maybe not.

I feel like I need a plan - I think I will make a feeding/sleep diary, try to feed her more often in the day, and then in the night, I need to decide when I will feed her and when not to.

How often is a 7/8 mo bf in the night?

Offline Fiver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 10:10:19 am »
Mine was probably having 1 NF or perhaps 2 every now and then with no DF at that sort of age. One would certainly be in the realms of normal.
*** Amanda ***