Author Topic: When to change bottle/solids schedule?  (Read 2046 times)

Offline RitaBobcat

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 08, 2013, 21:04:42 pm »
Hi all,

I'm currently feeding my 8 month old a bottle and then solids an hour after and I'm wondering when is it time to switch to solids before the bottle? Also, when is it time to start cutting down on how much formula I'm giving?
He's still not very interested in solids and I wonder if it's because he's always full from his bottle.

Thanks!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: When to change bottle/solids schedule?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 22:39:30 pm »
Hi
LOs are all different, some take to solids instantly, others seem disinterested for a good while and then 'suddenly' get a taste for solids.  At this point I wouldn't be worried about your LO not taking much in the way of solids, until he is 12 months milk is his primary food and introducing solids is more about exploring the new flavours, smells, textures (in the hand as well as the mouth) etc.  There is no set time to switch to solids first and many never switch but continue to give milk feeds first, later on switching either the mid morning or mid afternoon milk for a solids snack and a cup of water, later switching the other so that by 12 months 2 milk feeds remain (usually morning WU and BT).  It is advised to drop bottles at 12 months, switching to milk in a cup but to be honest many people keep the bottles (or keep one) for much much longer than this.
There would only be a need to switch to solids first or to reduce the milk offering if your LO is older (much closer to 12 months) and taking a lot of milk and very little in the way of solids.  The likelihood is that your baby will pick up on the solids and start to reduce the milk himself, showing less interest in one or two of his feeds.
If you are traditional weaning (purée foods) and haven't introduced finger foods yet you could try him with some, he may prefer to self feed finger foods rather than take purée from a spoon.

You'll find guidance milk intake here
Milk intake - what you can expect between 6 months to 12months +

I would also look at weaning any dream feed or night feeds first if there are any.

Hope this helps

Offline RitaBobcat

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 17:33:20 pm »
Thanks for your reply  :)

According to the link, I'm giving him too much formula. He drinks 7.5 oz 4 times/day. However, from what I read from other sources, milk intake should be 28-32 oz.
Does it make sense to cut down his formula if he's drinking it all happily or should I just wait until he gives me the cue that he wants less of it?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 17:47:34 pm »
If you are giving him 4 bottles of 7.5oz he is having 30oz a day which is right in the middle of the recs so that's great! If he is happily taking the milk then it's best to leave things as they are and start changing things when he indicates by taking less or refusing. What you should find is that as he gets bigger and his calorie needs increase he will begin to eat more because the milk won't be enough by itself.

Lauea

Offline RitaBobcat

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 18:36:21 pm »
That makes sense to me. Thanks!!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 21:37:00 pm »
According to the link, I'm giving him too much formula.
Laura, OP has a good point, I know the amounts in the link relate to a baby that is fully established on solids to ensure milk doesn't drop too rapidly, but perhaps an additional note about the recs would be useful to many others too?