Author Topic: Afraid about future milk supply while implementing the routine  (Read 1445 times)

Offline Iryna_B

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Hi!
I'm trying to implement EASY for my almost 4 months old daughter. Up to now she was fed on demand. For the last 2 days, I was trying to feed her every 3 hours. But what I've noticed, is that during each feed she eats about 5-8 min. From Tracy's book, I see that for this age group duration of feeding should be about 30 min. And I'm concerned that my milk will just dry out. Up to 3 months of age she was gaining a good weight but she was fed on demand. Now I don't know what her weight is, we have a pediatrician appointment on Monday. But I'm concerned maybe she's still hungry and would like to eat after A time as well, but I'm not giving her.
Should I pump after each feeding? I'm afraid that when we transition to 4hr EASY, my milk will just dry out, because she will eat with such big intervals.

Offline goldmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
Re: Afraid about future milk supply while implementing the routine
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 17:24:48 pm »
The length of time bf-ing is dependent on the LO, neither of mine ever nursed more than 20 minutes, and DD rarely more than 10. At 4 months I think you'd even expect them to be faster. If they are gaining nicely, the doctor said it just means they are efficient eaters and not to be concerned.

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 19:10:06 pm »
Most LOs won't spend as long as 30 minutes at the breast, especially at 4 months or more.  They've got too much else going on and are usually a lot more efficient and fast at getting milk out by that stage.

If she's showing you hungry cues (which is what "demand" feeding is about, after all, as is EASY), you may want to bring your feeding intervals down a little and build back up.

How frequently were you feeding when feeding to cue?
*** Amanda ***

Offline Iryna_B

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 18:22:55 pm »
Thank you ladies for the reply!
So, I usually fed her after and before sleep, so it was every 2 or 2.5 hours. In the evening even more frequently, because i wanted to tank her up. When she usually eat after a big break (like 3 hrs), she hardly eats for 9 min and always behaves distracted. I don't know if 9 min is enough. If I feed her once in 4 hr, i think my milk eventually will dry out.

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 20:56:41 pm »
9 minutes can certainly be enough.  Your best gauge is your DD.  At 4m we were feeding somewhere between 3 - 3.5h and didn't get to a 4h routine until after solids were established.  If you feel she needs feeding more often than every 4h, go for it!  Especially if you're worried about milk supply.  A lot of BF LOs don't go to 4h until after solids at 6m.
*** Amanda ***

Offline Iryna_B

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 01:02:08 am »
Thank you for the reply! Even if i feed her every 3 or 3.5 hrs, should I pump the rest of the milk in between or after feedings in order to keep the production steady?

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 19:08:19 pm »
What you would be doing by pumping is telling your body that it needs to make over and above the amount of milk your LO is taking.
*** Amanda ***

Offline kayb

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 03:23:49 am »
Hi,
I am in a very similar situation and I am wondering how this turned out for you? I am working on implementing a 3 hour EASY with my 16 week baby who has previously been fed 'on demand' which seemed to be before and after naps. I used quotations because there was a lot of comfort sucking going on before naps.
Now that I feed after naps she eats for approximately 5 minutes and then squirms around grins at me, etc. What did your feeding schedule end up being?
I should add, I am also questioning whether or not I have been reading my baby's cues accurately so I second guess myself a bit ;)
Thanks!

Offline Caitlyns Mum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Queensland, Australia
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 10:56:30 am »
Hi ladies! Good on you for getting onto a routine! The first little while can be a little daunting, but after a week or two, things should settle down. With regards to how long LO's eat for, they all vary. My DD used to take 15-20mins, but my DS (who's just 4 months corrected age) is done in less than 10mins. Like Fiver, we're on a 3.5ish hr routine as he's not ready for 4 hours yet. Your LO will tell you if they're not getting enough and it may take a few days, but if you ensure they've had their fill at E time and do what you can to 'stretch' them until the next E time, your supply will respond accordingly.
My DS is really distractable during feeds ATM and I need to make sure I give him ample time to feed, ie feed one side, burp, offer the second side, sit up, burp, chat and look around, maybe nappy change and then offer the breast again. So even though he may only be sucking for less than 10mins, E time may take 20mins. If you know a burp or other distractions hasn't kept them from eating all they want, it shouldn't be too long before they adjust to 3 hrs between feeds. Good luck!
Jess