Author Topic: Good cheese to start with?  (Read 1484 times)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Good cheese to start with?
« on: August 12, 2013, 16:25:02 pm »
We are introducing dairy into Ollys diet but he doesn't like cheese. He LOVES soy cheese  ::) but not 'real' cheese. Even bought cheese strings today but they were rejected.

Where do you normally start when weaning?

Offline gogomama

• Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 17:32:27 pm »
My LOs fave was gouda..I just bought the slices and would tear them in small pieces.  We have never really had success with the strings either..not sure why.

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
Re: Good cheese to start with?
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 17:47:02 pm »
My DS loves feta  ;D

He's allowed it as it's goat/sheep milk rather than cow so he's ok with it once every 2 weeks or so  :)

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 17:49:37 pm »
DS hates cheese strings too!! What about a fresh/ spreadable cheese? So similar to Philadelphia but a non-processed version? Or cottage cheese maybe? Edam is also quite mild. 

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 17:55:45 pm »
No dairy issues here but we just went with mild cheddar when we started weaning.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 11:13:18 am »
We started with mild cheddar too- can you try it melted or something first?
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 13:49:47 pm »
Ill try a mild cheddar I think. Not sued he would go for it melted yet, he is not very adventurous!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 14:54:28 pm »
My DS would reject mild chedder and cheese strings, and gouda which is also mild and quite 'plasticy' in texture.
He loves mature or extra mature cheddar, brie, saint agur (blue), cream cheese (phili) and will eat a smaller amount of something like wenslydale with fruit in, recently had a cranberry one.

If Olly likes a particular fruit the fruit cheeses could be a way to tempt him to try a bite, have a browse and the cheese/deli counter rather than on the pre-pack shelves, if you can talk him into tasting on the spot that would be great too as he could have a small piece of several and choose the one he likes.  If not then you could get very small amounts of a couple of different types.
Cream cheese I more often use as 'cream' on fruit, just stir it thoroughly and dollop on strawberries or mix it through raspberries or blackberries until they start to break and make it into a pink pudding.  And call it pink pudding or raspberry and blackberry pudding or whatever instead of 'cheese'.  Mascarpone is a good way in to cheese too.

I'm not sure what texture/flavour soy cheese has.  If it is dramatically different from real cheese then perhaps don't tell him the real cheese is cheese, just introduce it as a new food called 'wensleydale' or 'brie' so he doesn't have the expectation of soy cheese in mind when he eats it. Worth a try perhaps? (yk like when someone makes you tea and you think it's coffee and it tastes awful until you're told it is tea and then it tastes fine...or is that just me?)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 17:46:30 pm »
I was surprised at how plastic the cheese string was. I wasn't keen tbh  :-X

I did just tell him the mature cheddar was cheese when he asked for it, but he knew it was different. Not sure on soy cheese flavour - never had the courage to try it! We love cheese so anything Olly rejects we will eat somehow  ;D