Author Topic: What to do in school pick up line?  (Read 6213 times)

Offline CCCmom27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 27
What to do in school pick up line?
« on: August 12, 2013, 18:44:18 pm »
I wasn't sure where to put this so please move if there's a better place...C has started kindergarten.  Parents apparently like to start lining up really early (in cars) to pick up their kids from school.  He gets out at 340.  I got there at 3 the day he went last week and there were at least 20 cars already there.  I asked today what time they start lining up and they said 2  :o  I'd like to be as close to front of the line as possible but I don't know what to do with G in the car for an hour EVERYDAY.  There's a neighborhood beside the school I could park my car in line then go for a walk with G sometimes.  It has been unusually rainy here though  ::) When I asked about the time they said those parents park and come in and volunteer.  I'll have G and he's not one to sit quietly in a stroller (unless has food or an electronic to play with) for any length of time unless it's moving.  I'm sure I could leave him with my mom a day or two a week but it will need to be planned ahead obviously.  Any ideas for passing the time when we do have to just sit in the car?

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
Re: What to do in school pick up line?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 19:22:53 pm »
Just wondering why you have to start lining up then? And why in the car? Do they only let the kids out one by one to get into the cars or something?

Personally I would try and balance both kids' needs. We have to wait outside in a little courtyard at pickup and I like to be there early (I want my kid back!) but there are a couple of children whose parents are consistently the last ones there and they don't batan eyelid.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline Canadian_Mom

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 19:53:31 pm »
Have you tried any magnet activities with a cookie sheet? I know that my LO loved playing with some pom-pom magnets that I made on long road trips.  There are tons of printable pom-pom magnet activities on the internet.  Here is a link for how to make the magnets (super simple) http://www.confessionsofahomeschooler.com/blog/2012/09/homemade-pom-pom-magnets-2.html and here are some printables http://www.fabnfree.com/2013/03/20/free-printable-alphabet-magnetic-pom-pom-sheets/.  They are tons of fun!  Of course the cookie sheet works with any other magnets that you might have already as well!!  Books are always a hit here for road trips.
-Nadia

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 20:13:24 pm »
Honestly this is the most ridiculous thing ever. Can't you just park up and walk in and get him when you arrive. Surely you don't have to queue in the car. What about those kids who don't have a car or live nearby?
My ds would be going crazy sat in the car all that time. ESP if we were not moving. Snacks would be the main thing for us or I would let him have my phone to play something. What about a magnetic drawing board?

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 21:42:03 pm »
This is what Ms school is like. It is totally unreal. People are queuing from 1pm for a 2pm pick up. They just got a new head teacher though and he is totally against it. He actually put signs up all over the school saying 'if you are 10 minutes early everyday that is x amount of time in the school year' and it is shocking that people are wasting 200 hours + a year sitting in a car. He has actually stopped opening the car park until 1.50!

I never thought it was fair to expect R to sit and it really is such a waste of time.  So i go about 1.50 if its not raining and park in the street and we walk in and get her. If its really rainy I just go at 2pm and wait to get in. Her teacher said shed much rather people be 5 minutes late than 1 hour early. 

Honestly people queuing from 2pm for a 3.40pm pick up is just madness. I'd definately be putting in a suggestion that they look at their pick up policy.  I would not worry about being at the end of the line especially when you've another LO to consider.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 22:22:54 pm »
Yeah, we don't have a pick up line at school, but very limited parking. I have never quite figured out why some parents are there 45 minutes early for the best spot...I time my arrival for about 2 minutes after the last bell (Masyn is slow to get ready as she is always talking, and when Spencer is in K next year, they are made to wait by the wall for a parent to come and get them) so that I can just pull up and pick up and go.
Heidi

Offline CCCmom27

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 00:21:14 am »
So I'm guessing this is a US thing or maybe just my school district!?!?!  We don't go in to get them.  They bring all the kids out and we have a sign in our car with our name and grade.  If I'm in the back of the line then DS would be standing out there waiting longer.  I was always one of the last to be picked up from school and hated it so if people didn't get there so darn early I'd be first in line if I could!  The bus riders and walkers go elsewhere so only car riders come to the front where parents are lined up.  I got there at 3 again today.  They actually came out early today so he was in the car at like 335.

I'd forgotten about magnets and a cookie sheet, thanks!  I'll have to find some he hasn't seen in awhile.  I think we'll go the walk route more often than not.  At least it will get us some fresh air (and me some exercise!).  Hopefully it will stop raining all the time soon!  I'll try to get with his teacher or the PTO and see if there's a day I could plan on volunteering and leave G with my mom.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 00:32:57 am »
Wow that sounds like a pain! After Kindergarten here the kids just leave en masse to find parents or walk/bike home. Of course this is a small town we are talking about!
Heidi

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 20:45:28 pm »
I guess it is cultural. Here it is really discouraged to drive to school.
What about sticker books.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 20:48:45 pm »
What does your son think?  My DD actually asked me could I stop being there so early to pick her up and wanted to be left to the end. She's so nosey and loved seeing everyone else going home and having a chat while she was waiting. He may well not mind waiting.

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 23:28:20 pm »
I played that game precisely ONE time at Josie's school. Came for a 3:30 pickup at 3:25 and was already parked too far away, and the system for getting kids to cars was nuts. They've since refined it, though, so now if I were to go at 3:35, most of the rush would already be finished, I could drive right up, maybe be 3rd or 4th in line, and drive away. That approach might be worth considering. Can you see one day how long it takes the line to wind down once they start dismissing kids? Mark whatever car is in the back and see how long it takes it to get to the front? Then just try to time your trip so you don't have more than 3-5 minutes in line. It's not necessarily optimal for LO waiting in school, but *someone* is going to be last, and if he has something he knows to do, like a book to look at, maybe a small snack to eat, he can just relax and so can you. :)

Offline CCCmom27

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 23:38:08 pm »
Here it is really discouraged to drive to school.

While in distance we live 1-2 miles away it's not roads you can safely walk on.  They're hilly country roads with no sidewalks or shoulder.

Today we got there a little before 3 and went for a walk in the neighborhood next door.  Got back to the car about 325 and he had a snack.  This seemed to work out well and I guess it's what we'll do weather permitting.  C is shy and this is all so new to him.  Maybe later in the year he might be ok waiting but now I *think* he'd like to be picked up right away.  Today I was actually closer to the front of the line so as they walked out he could get right in the car.  My little rule follower just waved to me as he walked by because he thought he was supposed to go stand where he has the other days  :P

Offline kim&savannah

• Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 23:39:18 pm »
Ours schools are similar--I guess its the way all US schools are now (totally not how it was when I was a kid and I think this is something that has not been improved on!) You might want to ask if he actually minds being towards the last picked up.  My DD actually got upset when I was to early in line to get her.  She liked getting to play/talk with her friends while they waited.  So I stopped trying.  School got out at 2:30, I drove up about 2:40 and just pulled up in a line of about 5 cars.  If I got there at 2, I still wasn't first in line, so the other worked out much better for me. 

I'm hoping the kids won't mind being last again this year.  2:30 is in the middle of Henry's nap, so I'm planning to go as late as I can to let him sleep.  School's new this year, and parking/carpool line is going to be a nightmare in the beginning--I'm betting I can show up at 3:15 and they'll still be getting kids out there, at least the first few weeks.
~Kim

Savannah,  6/04
Abraham,   11/06
Henry, 5/8/11

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 10:52:12 am »
My kid is always the last in line! It is something worth talking to him about, I think.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 13:05:27 pm »
Could you park a couple of blocks away from the school and pick him up as if he is a walker...then just walk to your car and drive away?

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2013, 15:08:29 pm »
Could you park a couple of blocks away from the school and pick him up as if he is a walker...then just walk to your car and drive away?

On the occasions I go get my kids now, this is what I do; we park about a block away, or even in front of the school if there's an open space (and often there is!).

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 444
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2013, 15:50:38 pm »
Yep I'd pretend to be a walker.  No way I'd sit in that insanity. 
The tweaking never stops!

Offline CCCmom27

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2013, 16:29:02 pm »

LOL my mom said the same thing!  I think they'd know by my address that he's not a walker!  The school itself is on a kind of country road without sidewalks (except from the school to the neighborhood) or even a shoulder.  All the kids that walk must live in the neighborhood next door.  When we went for a walk yesterday I did notice the house beside the playground was for sale.  I joked to DH that we could just move there.  He asked if it had a pool  ::)  The walk worked out well so as long as no one tells me I can't leave my car we'll just continue to do that.  I'm seriously out of shape so it will be good for me  :P

Offline Tweakster

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, 17:07:17 pm »
You can make it interesting for G then too, stuff to collect as you walk or whatever, make it an adventure every day lol

Offline CCCmom27

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2013, 17:09:23 pm »
You can make it interesting for G then too, stuff to collect as you walk or whatever, make it an adventure every day lol

Yesterday we saw some huge dead worms on the sidewalk (we've been having A LOT of rain) that he was really interested in so I'm sure he'll look for them again today! 

Offline Tweakster

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2013, 17:15:21 pm »
Yes dead worms is an adventure for sure :)

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2013, 20:54:43 pm »
I don't see why you need to pretend to have walked from home if you wanna get your kid on foot surely they don't mind either way?

I was tidying the fuzzy felts today and thought of you as that is easy in the car.

Offline nona

• Showing Appreciation 95
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2013, 21:12:25 pm »
CC  - we are in the US.  my school is the same but i live a few blocks away so we are walkers. however, our car line moves very fast and we have the number system, etc. i do have a friend pick up DS from school a few times a week bc my DD is still napping. i do sometimes drop him off it is freezing out or i'm lazy :P

id ask your DS about being picked up timely or not. he may enjoy hanging with his friends in the car rider line waiting for their ride home. do these parents not have a life? we have 2 lines at our school though. a kinder line on side of school and everyone else on the other side of the school. sounds like they mix all the kids makign it more chaotic.

I don't see why you need to pretend to have walked from home if you wanna get your kid on foot surely they don't mind either way?

i agree. that's a dumb rule. how would they know? would you really get in trouble? why do they care? MANY, MANY parents at my school do this. they park their car and pick up their kid.
heather

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2013, 21:55:20 pm »
Surely they just want to get rid of the kids ASAP?

Offline CCCmom27

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2013, 00:50:28 am »
I was tidying the fuzzy felts today and thought of you as that is easy in the car.

OK I've read and reread that several times and have no idea what tidying the fuzzy felts means?!?!?

I did ask C if he wanted me to be there a little later so he could talk to his friends while waiting.  He said they weren't allowed to talk  ::) for him that means he won't talk!  He's a big rule follower at school (so far  :P )  It almost looks a little more hectic coming later as parents are trying to leave and some still coming to line up.  Parking early and walking seems to be the best bet for us now.  They also have the kids walk up the sidewalk and the ones whose parents are parked there get it.  The kids stand in a grassy area while the kids in cars drive away and all the other parents move up.  Then the kids walk back down the side walk and ones whose parents are there get in.  I have no idea how many times they do that but it seems crazy!  I think they need a better system but I don't have one and don't want to say anything and risk being told I can't leave my car & go for a walk!

Oh and we do have 2 lines.  The kindergarten & 1st grade parents are encouraged to use the one closest to the building but I saw a 5th grade parent behind me today  ::)

Offline nona

• Showing Appreciation 95
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2013, 01:20:50 am »
my DS is the same about rules! good luck! KUP.
heather

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2013, 01:32:25 am »
Can you park in the parking lot and walk over to get him?  I did this with DD1, as she couldn't open the van door on her own (or buckle the 5pt harness fast enough).  With DD3 I had to drop her at school (she rode the bus home) and I parked and walked her to the door everyday instead of dropping her in car line - again, she couldn't close the van door.

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline CCCmom27

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2013, 17:51:07 pm »
Can you park in the parking lot and walk over to get him?

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't let me.  I think if 1 person did this then everyone would want to and they'd have another mess!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2013, 02:00:02 am »
They also have the kids walk up the sidewalk and the ones whose parents are parked there get it.  The kids stand in a grassy area while the kids in cars drive away and all the other parents move up.  Then the kids walk back down the side walk and ones whose parents are there get in.  I have no idea how many times they do that but it seems crazy! 
This seems totally nuts to me too!  As a teacher, this would make me crazy!  We did the number system at the last school I worked at and it worked out completely fine -- one teacher would stand out ahead of the line and announce the numbers of the cars driving up over a walkie-talkie, they would announce the numbers in the gym, and the kids whose numbers were called out would get up and go out just as their parents were driving up.  Worked beautifully after we all got used to it.  Of course, we still had some parents show up 45 minutes early and sit there just so they could be "first" but the parents at the end were through 10 minutes after dismissal (and we had a ton of kids). 

Glad you found something that works with going for a walk!