Author Topic: Taking baby over 30 min to fall asleep  (Read 994 times)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« on: August 07, 2013, 18:34:44 pm »
My baby will be 6 weeks on Saturday. I normally do E, A and then when he's getting tired I will swaddle him and hold him a bit before I put him down to nap still half awake. He normally will put himself to sleep without crying.   The past few days when i put him down a few minutes go by and he's fussing. I give him a few minutes to settle down then I might go over and give him a pacifier or a shh and walk away again but he's still having a hard time falling asleep. Today 30 min later he was still moving around in bassinet not crying but awake. When I went in a gave him pacifier and he fell asleep. Now it's affecting feed time becuase normally 3 hrs in between and he would wake to eat but now I'm waking him or he's waking at 4 hrs since it took him so long to fall asleep. The other night this went on at most sleep times during the day so by evening he was miserable.
He still manages to sleep well at night. Waking every 4-5 hours to eat and i put him back in bassinet and he puts himself to sleep.
Any advice?

Offline Violet's mom

• Showing Appreciation 26
Re: Taking baby over 30 min to fall asleep
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 18:54:55 pm »
How long is he awake for usually?  Then maybe we can see if he is UT or OT. 
There is also a 6 week growth spurt so he might be a little extra hungry - is he bottle or breast fed?  Also, even the BW says it is tough until after 6 to 8 weeks to get baby on a feeding schedule since they are still so young and your milk supply still needs stimulation. 

Lastly,
Maybe try a little extra burping?  That used to make my LO cry.  Hope this helps!

**Tracy**

Offline Violet's mom

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 18:57:19 pm »
Teaching Sleep to Newborns and Young Infants

And you can refer to this too!

**Tracy**

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 19:57:33 pm »
He's pretty textbook up for 1 1/2 hours asleep for 1 1/2 eats every 3 during day. He's bottle formula fed. The past 2 days he's spitting up a lot which he doesn't usually do so I'm not too sure if feeding him more is a good idea.  In sure he will eat it though

Offline Violet's mom

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 00:10:05 am »
He might be overtired.  This is a rough guide of how long a time should be on average:
Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!!

Try sticking with the suggested awake time and maybe you will see improvement.  Hope that helps!

**Tracy**

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 00:26:50 am »
At 3 pm baby woke which was feeding time. So I fed him and burped and diapered and we had some awake time. At exactly 1 1/2 hours later he had enough gave me a little yawn and complained so I swaddled gave him pacifier and picked him up. Usually I calm him a bit but them put him in bassinet to put himself to sleep. I put him in and he couldn't settle  he cried and I kept being consistent with picking him up or shh to s settle him which we did until almost next feed time at 6pm! Which means he never really slept exept for when I was holding him. And it's now 830!!! Ugh almost time to feed again. This baby is exhausted but I can't get him to sleep. Help

Offline Violet's mom

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 00:37:41 am »
Do you think he is overstimulated?  What kind of activities do you do?  Poor guy - maybe try a little accidental parenting at this point because he needs rest!  A stroller ride, swing, or whatever helps him get to sleep just for this time won't hurt. 

He might not give sleepy signs but if you try to put him down to sleep after 60 to 75 mins of low key awake time will he fall asleep?  Your awake time includes his feeding and everything right?

**Tracy**

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 01:25:10 am »
We usually just lay on bed listen to music and sing, we do a little exercise for his tight neck muscles or we might lay on the playmat. If i feed him at 7 by the time I burp him in between and then after (I try to get some good burps since he tends to get gassy) and then I sit him upright for a while on my lap because he will spit up if I don't. Then I change his diaper and then we will have awake/ play  time for about 45 min. Yesterday I did try to put him Down when he didn't show signs of being tired after being up for just an hour instead of 1 1/2 and we had the same problem. My accidental parenting is when I hold him he calms down and falls asleep. Its so frustrating being that we weren't having  any of these issues last week. I was so oroud that my baby could put himself to sleep I'm  worried I'm creating a monster. We are both exhausted!

Offline BeeAnn

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 09:03:07 am »
Hi. Just wanted to let you know that I wouldn't worry too much about creating a monster at this age. I used to sssh pat and hold dd until she was basically asleep and then put her down. Then at around 11 weeks I decided she should learn to fall asleep on her own and it only took a couple of days for her to learn to put herself to sleep in her cot. So it can be done at an older age.

I also agree that you should consider over stimulation as I had a problem with short naps around that age and basically cut out all tele, music etc for awhile and it helped a little.

It may also just be a phase!

Offline brummum

• Showing Appreciation 56
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 18:17:39 pm »
Does she or could she have a bit of reflux? If so the there are some suggestions in the link below that might help and it might be worth running past a doctor.

Sleep and the reflux baby.

I agree about not worry too much about independent sleep at this age. It's more important to have a rested baby so that you and she can enjoy your awake time together.

Offline Violet's mom

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 18:59:23 pm »
I agree with pp.  I held v to sleep a lot at that age because I loved it so much (and now miss it a lot). He will get there for independent sleep soon enough - relax and enjoy :)

**Tracy**

Offline nevinsmama

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 02:05:25 am »
Just jumping in to say I agree with pp's. Cuddle that LO! The ST will come! DD used to have her naps on the Boppy nursing pillow and I would doze off too.

Maryn

[/url]