Author Topic: when can baby start having juice or water  (Read 1560 times)

Offline tfuentes00

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 5
when can baby start having juice or water
« on: August 13, 2013, 00:04:25 am »
Not sure if I'm in the right place.   But my lo is about 5.5 months and wondering when is she able to start having drinks of water or juice.  The Dr put her on vitamins with extra iron and she's getting a little constipated so wondered if I could start giving some prune juice?  I'm already giving her probotics in her bottle and it doesn't seem to be helping.  Also when I'm bathing her she just dies for me to give her a squirt of water in her mouth when I get the water near her she just opens her mouth wide and sticks out her tongue trying to get a drink.  Of course I know she can't have a lot but wondering when a good time to start.  She is bottle fed.
Tina

Offline TB9

• Showing Appreciation 60
Re: when can baby start having juice or water
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 00:11:59 am »
Dds ped recommended pear juice for constipation when dd1 was 4 months, so I would say its ok.  He also said I could give dd2 water on hot days, just whatever she wanted to take if we were outside for any length of time...but we havent had any hot days recently so I havent tried it yet  :P

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 02:48:08 am »
My LOs weren't FF, but I know that the rec is to give water in a sippy cup from around 6 months so you're pretty close.  Takes them a bit to get a hang of the sippy anyway, so it probably wouldn't hurt to give it soon as long as it's not having a negative impact on her formula intake. 

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 09:12:45 am »
the rec is to give water in a sippy cup from around 6 months so you're pretty close.
ideally, however when you introduce solids LO may get thirsty for water and not have enough skill to use the sippy, I offered a sippy or water but also a bottle of water during solid feeds to ensure he got enough liquid.  As you LO is so close to 6 months I wouldn't see the harm of a bit of water in a bottle or cup, like Erin said, watch the milk doesn't drop.

Does your LO really need the extra iron in the vits? formula is balanced to their needs and full of vits, a vitamin supplement wouldn't usually be needed until 6 months when baby's reserves begin to drop and even then the supplements are more for breastfed babies because formula already has the added vits.  I thought too much iron could be harmful?

Offline tfuentes00

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 09:18:56 am »
Well we went through a period of her not eating very well so I assume that is the reason.  She is eating better now and I'm not giving them to her maybe once every two days.  I thought the same about the iron.  I'm gonna ask about it at our 6 mths and see if we have to continue as I really don't want to give her meds all the time then have to give something else to reverse the affect of the first iykwim.

Thanks ladies I think ill try in a silly and see how she does it will at least give her practice.
Tina