Author Topic: Need to night wean my 1 year old  (Read 2691 times)

Offline fellianne

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 13, 2013, 10:56:09 am »
My LO just turned one and she still nurses at night.  I have been an avid poster on the reflux thread because it has been a hard year!  She still wakes many times a night and I'm still not sure if it's pain or stubbornness.  I think sometimes it depends on the night. :)

I need some help trying to get rid of the night feeds.  I had been successful about a month ago, but when I know she's in pain I usually end up nursing her.  Or when I'm SO tired from being up all night I end up nursing her in the wee hours of the morning.  And then we are back in the cycle of nursing at night.

She almost always wakes around 10 PM and that's when I try to feed her last.  She will often try to nurse with her wakings after that and I just try to keep her head on my shoulder and snuggle her.  She will settle down after a few minutes and fall back asleep.  But then she usually wakes up 45 minutes later and we do it again.  It seems that if I do end up nursing her she will sleep for a longer period of time.  Could she be hungry? 

I don't want to nurse her at night anymore, but I don't know how keep her asleep if I don't nurse her.

Offline malenka

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
Re: Need to night wean my 1 year old
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 14:08:52 pm »
How's her food intake during the day? By one year of age, I wouldn't think she should be hungry during the night. It might be more of a habit, or it could do with the reflux. Is she on reflux meds at the moment? Could it be time to adjust the dose? If she's able to resettle without nursing, it sounds more like a habit to me. Can someone else go to her when she wakes at night so that she's not smelling your milk? When I was weaning DS off the night feeds, I had DH resettle him when he woke at night and it seemed to make a big difference.
Meredith - Mommy to

Offline fellianne

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 16:18:45 pm »
I usually think it's more habit, too.  But then there are nights when I'm pretty sure it's pain.  The reflux has been a roller coaster and she's on prevacid and zantac.  My husband tried to resettle her all night on Saturday night and she woke every 30-45 minutes.  Does it usually take more than one night with them doing it?  When it's me, she always wants to nurse.  Even if she nursed 30 minutes before that.

She's increasing her food intake.  It had been minimal cause she just wouldn't eat much.  I think we've turned a corner in the last few days.  She is loving yogurt now and also her fruits/veggies.  I'm trying to get more calories in her cause she's so busy during the day.

Offline malenka

• Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 18:00:24 pm »
Unfortunately, it's been my experience that it takes more than one night to break a habit.

DS also had reflux issues, and we weaned him off his meds shortly after he turned one, which turned out to be a mistake and we had to put him back on meds. Might be worth talking to your dr to make sure the dosage is correct.

Hopefully some other eyes will have additional ideas for you.
Meredith - Mommy to

Offline fellianne

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 19:21:17 pm »
Thank you so much!  I figured it would take more than a night. :( 

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 19:37:36 pm »
I used to send my DH in to settle during the night too. I'm on my phone and haven't worked out how to paste links yet, but have you checked out the FAQs?
*** Amanda ***

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 20:44:48 pm »
Was there a particular FAQ you were thinking of Amanda?
Maybe this one?
Night Feeds and the Breast Fed Baby

Worth checking the reflux board too of course. And very important to make sure she is pain free before you attempt sleep training.

Is your LO using the breast to get to sleep for naps and at BT or just at night feeds? Has she ever been an independent sleeper?

I weaned the final NF from my two at 12.5 and 15mo and it too a good week of resettling. DH did DS1 and I did DS2 because he wasn't used to DH settling him to start with. Is your LO used to DH putting her to sleep for naps or BT or any NWs? If not I expect it will take even longer.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 17:07:33 pm »
Probably Ali! Or maybe the weaning one. Will try to get on the laptop later and have a browse!
*** Amanda ***

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 19:43:32 pm »
Yes, the FAQ that Ali mentioned was the one I was thinking of (thanks, Ali!).  The last link at the bottom of it (to kellymom.com) has some great tips for dropping a NF.
*** Amanda ***

Offline fellianne

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 17:27:16 pm »
Thank you!  My husband has settled her at night, but never put her to sleep.  She breastfeeds before she falls asleep every time.  But I try to put her in her bed kind of awake.  She had been an independent sleeper and used to not nurse before sleep at all.  Then when the reflux got really, really bad she started nursing a lot more.  I am sure she is pain free now, but she is really stubborn.

I tried to get her down for her nap this AM.  She always nurses before sleep and I popped her off and tried to lay her down.  She usually wiggles and all but I can pat her back to sleep.  Today she would have none of that.  When this happens I usually try to pick her up and resettle her.  She just wanted to nurse, so I put her back in her bed.  She cried for TWO hours!!!!!!  I was in there with her the entire time trying to calm and reassure her.  But I didn't pick her up.  I tried to pat her back and just speak calmly like I do when I resettle her at night.  Well, the frustrated cries turned into a kicking tantrum in her bed.  It truly lasted 2 hours and I couldn't take anymore so I finally picked her up.  She cried awhile in my arms and then started to fall asleep.  I tried to lay her down and she fought like crazy.  This happened twice.  So I have up.  She has had no nap yet today and has been up for 6.5 hours.  Did I do something wrong?  We don't do pu/pd cause of the reflux.  So I just kept trying to resettle in her bed.  I don't know what to do.

Also, my husband stayed with her last night and I fed her at her 10:30 waking but not after that.  She woke 7 times from 1:30 until 5:30.  Is this normal for weaning?  She has ALWAYS woken a lot at night. 

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 18:32:31 pm »
Have you been resettling NWs without feeding for many nights now or had it been inconsistent and you were someone's feeding her?
For naps Tracy recommended only trying for about 40-45 mins and then stopping and bringing her out of the bedroom for some low key A time and a feed of she is due one. Then you can try again after about 20 mins. That way you both get a break and it will allow her to recover from any upset.

Offline fellianne

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 00:35:08 am »
It was absolutely awful and I felt like it was just too long.  I felt like it became a battle of wills.  Do you think I broke her trust after that today?  Or made her afraid of her bed?  I feel so bad about it. She never did take a nap today.  I got her asleep for the night at 6:45.  She put up a little fight when I tried to lay her down the first few times.  Then the 4th time I got her in her bed and continued to pat her back until she was asleep.  She woke 45 minutes later and wouldn't let me resettle her in her bed.  So I picked her up and she calmed down on my shoulder and I was able to lay her back down.

I don't usually feed her at night anymore.  I really try not to feed her after the 10ish feed.  But when I think she's in pain I'll give in and feed her to comfort her.  But I really do try to be consistent with not feeding because I don't want to confuse her.  I always try to resettle in her bed by patting her back and talking softly to her.  When that doesn't work, I'll pick her up and walk with her while patting her back.  She tries to nurse first every time.  When she realizes I am not going to nurse her, she will settle on my shoulder.  Some nights it takes a really long time, other nights just a few minutes.  Then I get her back in her bed.  Some nights she'll sleep 1.5-2 hours, other nights she's up 45 minutes later.  I don't think she's in pain right now from the reflux.  I think it's become a habit and I just don't think I'm doing the right things to break it.

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 06:39:10 am »
Do you think she really needs that 10pm feed? Maybe that is confusing her as she feels she is still getting fed at some NWs so it is worth trying to protest? Maybe she would better understand if you said "we don't have milk at night anymore so once you are in bed there is no more milk until morning."

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 18:30:44 pm »
Do you think she might have any teeth coming through that could be making her uncomfortable at night?
*** Amanda ***

Offline fellianne

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 13:32:17 pm »
I don't think there are any teeth coming through at the moment.  She has her two top and two bottom.  The top ones really, really upset the reflux, but they are all the way through now.  I feel like the waking is just a habit right now.

I'll try stopping the 10ish feed.  I am worried about it and it makes me a bit sad.  But I do think you are right about it being confusing for her. Do you think she'll understand if I tell her no more milk until morning? My heart breaks for her when she wants to nurse at night and I don't nurse her.  But she's over 1 now and I am really, really tired.  I would love to get several hours of continuous sleep.