Author Topic: Longest sleep stretch only 3 hours now =( WHAT HAPPENED  (Read 2224 times)

Offline Pualani8

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Longest sleep stretch only 3 hours now =( WHAT HAPPENED
« on: August 14, 2013, 21:04:48 pm »
My LO is almost 4 months old.  From 5 weeks to 9 weeks he slept AWESOME.  8-3 with a feed then 3-7.  Well, since then it's gone to crap and I can't figure out why!
He goes to bed 7:30ish, and now wakes up between 10:30 - 11, then 2 and then 5!  The longest stretch we get is 3-3.5 hours!!!  He slept better at a week old!!
He weighs over 15 lbs at least and eats 4 oz bottles every 3 hours during the day and a 5-6 oz bottle before bed!  We put him down awake in his crib with a mobile and he goes to sleep on his own in about 10 minutes with minimal fussing.  Sometimes uses a paci but not always. Naps are fairly consistent in the day. I'd really like to avoid CIO - but also DH and I work and we need sleep too!!
Routine:
7 - wake and eat then play
8:15 - nap in crib (30-45 mins)
9ish - wake and play
10 - Eat
10:30 - nap in crib (30-45 mins)
11:15ish - wake and play time/run errands
12:45ish - eat
1 - nap in swing (2 hours)
3 - wake and play
4 - eat
5 - cat nap for 30 mins in crib
6:45 - bath, jammies, bottle, story, bed
7:15 - 7:30 - asleep
10:30 - night wake
1 - 2 am - night wake
4-5 am - night wake
Sorry for the long post - but does any one see anything that stands out? 

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
Re: Longest sleep stretch only 3 hours now =( WHAT HAPPENED
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 00:04:14 am »
Hi there,

I would work on increasing A times in the morning so that its closer to 2 hrs and the 2 morning naps are consolidated into 1 morning nap so that his day looks something like this:

7am - wake and E
9-10.30 - morning nap
10.30 - wake and E
12.30-2 - afternoon nap
2 - wake and E
4-4.45 - catnap
7pm - bedtime

You might find that he will start to sleep longer in the morning once you increase his A. The morning A time was the hardest for us to extend so I used to take mine out of the house and do some low key activities and a longer windown until we got to 9am. Try adding 15mins every couple of days so that he isn't too pooped to fall asleep and if he wakes earlier, try and extend the nap with shh/pat. If he doesn't fall back asleep, take him out and give him some more A time. If E is due, then feed and offer the afternoon nap a little earlier.

He may also be going through a growth spurt! How do you respond to him at night?

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline Pualani8

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 00:37:14 am »
Thank you!!  I was wondering about his short morning A time.  I was wondering if it had something to do with the night wakings and he's not rested enough?  He just get's SO fussy and if I put him down an hour and 15 minutes after he wakes he falls asleep okay.

When he wakes in the night - the first wake I offer a paci, the 2nd wake around 1-2 am, we feed him a 4 oz bottle, but he's only been taking 2 oz of it lately, so dropping to a 2 oz bottle, and the 3rd wake around 4-5 am we offer another 2 oz bottle. 

I just wonder why he won't sleep longer stretches like he used to =(

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 02:47:11 am »
Sometimes a little tweak in the schedule is all that's required for the night wakings to stop.

Let me know how you go with that :)

20/06/2012 - my angel baby