Author Topic: Breakfast ideas...  (Read 1605 times)

Offline momma.bear

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« on: August 16, 2013, 12:05:42 pm »
My 2 year old has been willingly eating baby cereal with fruit/veg puree for months and months, very willingly as long as I was talking to her while spoon feeding her. All of a sudden she's not interested anymore, even if she feeds herself. She loves fruit and this seems to be the only thing I can get her to eat without putting up a fuss. I've made blueberry pancakes, waffles with cream cheese, other cereals, but she doesn't want them. (I do bread for lunch so prefer not to use it at breakfast). I'm looking for healthy options, and a way for her to eat breakfast and enjoy it. Lunch and dinner aren't usually a problem, it just seems to be breakfast. Even last night she didn't really have dinner and I thought for sure she'd eat this morning, but she had a few grapes and pieces of cantaloupe and that was it.

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
Re: Breakfast ideas...
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 14:11:40 pm »
My dd is hopeless with breakfast but some things we have tried are: French toast (ok that is bread), yoghurt with fruit, oats with yoghurt soaked over night, crispbread with jam or cream cheese, scrambled/boiled eggs, healthy sausages, baked beans sprinkled with cheese.
Katt

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 14:47:23 pm »
DS often has an omelet for breakfast. he will only eat if if I whisk in half a teaspoon of ketchup before cooking it and another half teaspoon to dip in! I actually don't mind, it's worth it to get an egg in him, he eats it happily with lots of yum sounds (without the ketchup he gags and spits it out!).  Or a sausage.

home made sugar free muffins? Can have fruit or veg in them, surely everyone likes cake for breakfast?  Banana bread (cake again)?  Oaty chews (sugar free flapjacks, lots of oats some fruit and either a bit of butter or oil and baked in the oven - like a healthy 'breakfast' or 'energy' bar). There's a microwave version of oat fingers but I don't know it because I don't use a microwave.  maybe try some different flavour pancakes if she didn't go for the blueberry ones?

Offline louis-mummy

• Showing Appreciation 22
  • Louis - the bestest (and now a school) boy!
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 14:56:29 pm »
Omelette is a favourite here. Smoothie?

It might just be a phase, if she's eating we'll otherwise I would try not to worry.
Laura

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 15:51:53 pm »
My little girl really doesn't go for breakfast. She eats well at lunch and dinner so I'm not that worried. If she doesn't want what's on offer I ask if she wants a banana, but 90% of the time she says no.

Offline malenka

• Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 18:11:38 pm »
We struggle getting DS to eat anything more substantial than fruit for breakfast. We have had luck putting fruit on his cereal or oatmeal. What about mini muffins? Maybe the "fun" factor would help?

When DS was that age, he ate a lot of trail mix for breakfast - so dried cereal (Cheerios, or something similar), dried fruit (cranberries, raisins, apricots cut in half), seeds or nuts if she's onto those yet, plus a couple of mini marshmallows - I'm not a big fan of sugar in the morning but adding two or three marshmallows would guarantee he'd eat the whole lot!
Meredith - Mommy to

Offline Mama2Athena

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 20:32:28 pm »
This may sound strange, but at my DD's daycare for breakfast, they sometimes serve quesadillas or bean and cheese burritos.  Also in many Asian countries, they eat noodles and porridge for breakfast.  I guess breakfast can be anything really, not just cereals, waffles, pancakes, etc like we are accustomed to.

Offline momma.bear

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 23:25:36 pm »
Thanks for all the ideas. I'm definitely going to try an egg made with ketchup... DD loves dip, but gags on egg...

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 06:58:51 am »
Oh, hope it works!  I've tried DS with various eggs, only a thoroughly cooked omelet as mentioned with the kethcup mixed in (or a squirt of bbq sauce works too).  I have one of those mini frying pans which also helped so thought I'd mention it. Before the egg totally cooks on top I fold it in half to make a semi circle, the wet egg then sticks the two halves together making a much fatter result which is also easier to cut up and stab in 'chunks' rather than flimsy little floppy bits. It seems to make a difference to him.
He won't have a soft or hard boiled egg or scrambled (even with ketchup) so it seems very fussy but it doesn't bother me.

I know you said you preferred no bread for breakfast but if you did try french toast, eggy bread (and dip!) then maybe you could make the lunch sandwich with a tortilla wrap or pitta bread to give some variety? I think you can get corn tortillas rather than wheat if it's the grain that concerns you.  I do this if DS has toast or eggy bread for breakfast - or I make pasta lunch instead of sandwiches.