Author Topic: 3-2 switch messing up A time??  (Read 5750 times)

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« on: August 16, 2013, 15:04:57 pm »
When we first transitioned to the 4 hour EASY, I was getting 2, 2 hour naps and a catnap. For the last month my DS naps have become so random and usually only lasting 45 mins. I've upped his A time to 3 hours hoping that would help but it hasn't. I've never had to consistently do PU/PD because it always distracts him too much and he's much more independent and can self soothe unless he's way OT. I'm assuming the short naps still mean UT right? Or should I try PU/PD to extend naps? Does PU/PD even work when babies are UT?

Offline goldmom

• Showing Appreciation 23
Re: OT/UT 6.5 mo
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 16:10:50 pm »
Are you still giving a catnap? It may be time to transition out of it. What does your typical EASY look like?

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 02:39:44 am »
Thank you for the reply. I am thinking you're right and I've only just started the process of dropping the catnap for the past 2 days. Ill post my easy when I return home tomorrow evening; I'm visiting family at the moment so we aren't doing a very good EASY at the moment.

Thank you so much!

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 17:09:03 pm »
I apologize for not posting my EASY sooner. We had a death in my family so things have been hectic and I haven't been writing our days down. I am writing down our EASY today and will post later when our day is complete. Things have gone completely haywire and our EASY has gone out the window. My DS is waking up early everyday, having all UT or OT naps, S is bleeding into E time and our A times are all over the place. I'm so mad at myself for letting things get out of control. Our EASY a month ago was going perfectly and now every day is a mess and we are just trying to survive. Ill post my EASY example tonight or early tomorrow. Any advice would be so appreciated... Thank you ladies

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 20:06:55 pm »
Our EASY a month ago was going perfectly and now every day is a mess and we are just trying to survive
They grow, they change, don't beat yourself up, sounds like you've a lot on your plate at the moment.

PU/PD is likely to aggravate a UT baby.  In my experience, UT baby will not go back down for love or money!

Remind us what age he is when you're posting your EASY. 
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 14:24:28 pm »
My DS is currently 28 weeks. Thank you for the advice and kind words.

As I mentioned before, things have been extremely hectic and I am desperate to get my EASY back on track now. I am in a viscous OT/UT loop and its causing early WU and completely ruined my judgement on appropriate A time. I am not sure which forum to post on as I am having issues with EASY, all naps, and early wake ups at the moment. Needless to say, things have gone completely haywire and I will do anything to get things back on track. As I mentioed previously, I havent been writing things down very well and just trying to get through the days without too many tears (from both of us!). I have some previous days writing and I will post what I have below to give you an idea and I'll also post todays day so far:

Woke 6:00 (let play in crib in hopes he would fall back to sleep)
E 7:00
A 3 h 10 m
S 9:10- 9:50 (calmed at 10:25 and back to sleep until 10:54) 70 mins total

E 11:10
A 2 hrs
S 1:00-1:31 (cried/fussed until I got him up at 2:10)

E 2:30
A
S 3:35- 4:45

E 6:15
A
BT 7:30

Today so far:

Woke 7:00
E 7:30
A 2 hr 30 m
S 9:30-10:00 (woke crying...keep trying to help him go back to sleep at the moment....way OT)

I'll post rest of day later tonight.

Things to note:
He used to sleep 2 hour naps
We started solids at 5 months (do during A time)
Very spirited so its hard to help him when hes OT
Still do a DF
Used to wake up between 7-8 am so these 6:00am wake ups are considered early WU to us...
Tried to begin the 3-2 transition but with these short naps- every day is different!

Please help...I'll do absolutely anything. I am worried we are on a bad path and it's been this way for over 2 weeks now.

Offline weaver

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 19:21:42 pm »
Hugs, we'll help you sort it out, don't worry.  You are certainly not alone and anything that's happening with your baba will have happened to someone else on here! ;)

First thing to say is, it's up to you where you want to post.  You can stay here if you like, I think if we tweak naps a bit, we can get somewhere.

Second thing to say is that there is a whole board dedicated to 'getting back on track'. You might like to see the FAQ.

FAQ's - Frequently Asked Questions & Related Information

The first thing I would do is drop the catnap, cold.   That may sound a little crazy to you but it is probably messing his daytime sleep up more than it is helping right now.  In a way, it will make more room for sleep in his other naps.  He's clearly ready for it as he can handle an A time over 3 hours.  Here's a bit more about that:
All about the 3-2 transition- 5/6 months

Don't be surprised that he's not doing 2 hour naps any more, around now many LOs will go to two 1.5 naps, or something like that.

Typical Amounts of Day and Night Sleep

I really do think dropping the CN will help him a lot.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 21:50:50 pm »
Wonderful. Thank you so much for taking the time to help. I'd be lost without you ladies! Ill be dropping the catnap starting today and hope that'll help!!

Ill be reading all the links you've provide me as soon as I get him to bed tonight!

Thank you beyond words....

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 19:23:57 pm »
He's really struggling with his afternoon nap. He woke after 45 mins which usually is UT for him but been crying and fussing, trying to go back to sleep for 30 mins now. He keeps dosing off for just a few mins then up again crying. I'm letting him try and self soothe which he's normally good at. Since he's been awake since 2:45, should I just do a very EBT since I need to completely cut out the catnap? Like 6:00pm?

Will he work out this pm nap issue once he's used to dropping the catnap? I feel like I'm reading his sleepy cues the best I can and I'm not going over 3 hours A time- which has proven to cause OT for him. Not sure why this pm nap has been so hard for him...

Offline weaver

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 19:35:00 pm »
Will he work out this pm nap issue once he's used to dropping the catnap?
I think that's very likely.  And in the meantime, EBT is a great idea.  What time did you go for today?

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 19:47:11 pm »
Thank you for the immediate reply!! He is STILL trying so hard to fall back to sleep. Poor love has been restless for an hour now but he's trying so hard and still so tired that I'm letting him rest and work it out. I'm watching him on the baby monitor and he hasn't cried out for me yet so I don't want to interfere yet. Ill get him up in a bit though and will just shoot for EBT. His A times were only 2hr and 40ish minutes all day so it's confusing why he's so OT. Depending on when he finally wakes up (or gives up), Ill decide what time to do BT. I'm assuming 7 at the latest since its already 4:00pm here and he has just now doses back off again...thoughts?

Offline weaver

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 19:51:30 pm »
Sorry, yes, didn't realise we had such a time difference...it's ten minutes to nine in the evening where I am!

I would get him up now and go for EBT.  6ish?

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 20:10:19 pm »
Don't apologize! You didn't know where I live :)
I got him up and will do EBT. Fingers crossed he sleeps until 7:00am tomorrow!
I may need help adjusting his A time but ill just keep track of things until I get him used to the 2 naps then I can work on tweaking A time. You are so wonderful...thank you!!!

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2013, 14:47:07 pm »
Anne...I want to give you the biggest hug!!!
So far, so good!! Dropping the CN and EBT transition has made a world of difference. I am definitely seeing improvement in his sleep (day and night) and I'm hoping it continues on this path! You have know idea how much this has helped me...I feel sain again :)

Offline weaver

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2013, 19:48:42 pm »
 ;D ;D

I'm delighted things are going so well.  Now, don't be alarmed if he regresses a bit after a couple of days, it's totally normal.  He just needs to get used to the new way of doing things. 

Enjoy some Y time!