Author Topic: 3-2 switch messing up A time??  (Read 5752 times)

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2013, 22:12:02 pm »
I spoke too soon, ha! I was so excited about the night before and got carried away! His am nap was only an hour (which is better than it has been) but then he was tired after only 2 hours A time afterwards. Unfortunately, we were running errands and he dosed off in the car for 10 minutes. Then I put him back down for a nap at around 3 hours A time (basically ignoring that tiny nap in the car) and he woke after 30 minutes and was way OT and refused to go back to sleep so I just got him up and went on a walk. He started yawning at 5:00pm so we hurried home, did a quick bath and fed him. Put him down at 5:45pm (which is WAY earlier than I'd like to but I'm reminding myself its only to get him adjusted) but he's still awake. He's going from hysterical screaming/crying to playing and cooing- which is his typical OT reaction! I'm just hoping he sleeps through the night since he's way past OT at this point.

Should I try shifting his first A time by 10 mins to try and get a longer first nap? Should I only do 2 naps, regardless of how short they are and how early I have to make bedtime??

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 17:45:08 pm »
I currently posted on the 'Naps' board and was told it was time for the 3-2 switch. It's only been a few days but things are still chaos. I've notice that DS A times are completely off and I'm really struggling to find the right time. Each day is different... It's making this 3-2 transition even harder for us because he's constantly OT or UT from me guessing wrong on the A time, so it's making this transition miserable.

I am just curious if its normal for his A times to be out of wack because of a nap transition? He was doing pretty consistent 3 hr A times (unless he had an UT or OT nap in which case Id accommodate and shorted A time). Since he was doing 3 hr A times and began having EW, I completely agreed that I was overdue to drop the CN! But now that I'm dropping it, he is incredibly tired around 2 hours or so A time... If I push him closer to 2h 45m (like I did today) I get a horrendous OT nap :(

Now I'm confused because he's done with his 2 allowed naps by 3:00pm at the latest...making for an incredibly EBT. I jut need help/advice on the A times and how I should go about correcting what I've messed up. The ladies on the Naps board have been incredibly helpful, I just thought is get some more advice in regards to my A time issues as well! Im all confused ;)

I will post today's EAS in here as well as my Naps post once DS goes to sleep tonight.
Thank you so much....

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 20:18:22 pm »
Oh dear. Those micro-naps are a killer and can really mess things up.  Hope he sleeps well in the end.

Yes, I'd try pushing him on with the first A time and see how he does, though go gently.  You obviously are there with him and are the best judge of how he's doing.  I would try to stick with 2 naps for a week or so, using EBT to combat any OT. 

*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
Re: 3-2 switch messing up A time??
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2013, 21:50:05 pm »
If you can post youR EAS we'll be able o help, but normally with a nap transition you'd expect the A times to increase. He may well be OT, but it has likely arisen from a need to increase A times and a UT/OT cycle has arisen. I'd say try pushing the A times out a bit more, but do post your pattern and we can look a bit more closely x
~ Naomi ~

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2013, 22:03:48 pm »
Ugh...you got that right for sure! This short naps have things terribly messed up.

Here was today:

Woke 7:00am (might have been a tad earlier but I was so tired this morning I cant remember!)
E 7:30
A 2 hr 38 m
S 9:38- 11:18 (BUT, he woke after 35 min and took him 20 mins to settle himself, then his sleep was fitful and he woke on and off every 5-10 mins until he gave up at 11:18)

E 11:30
A 2 hr (I cut it short since last nap was under an hour total)
S 1:20- 2:00 (refused to go back to sleep- fussing and then played until 2:40 when I finally got him out of crib)

E 3:20
A 1 hr 45m
S 3:45 (didnt actually fall asleep until 4:20 though) - 5:05

A
BT Planning on 7:30 ish (it's only 6:00pm here as of now)

I know I am supposed to be cutting the CN cold but I didn't want to put him to bed at 4:30pm....should I have?? Both naps were under an hour so I felt like I needed to do the CN today. But honestly, I am so exhausted from these short naps that I will do anything to get it right. I am just confused as to why he seems OT with less than 3 hours A time when he was doing fine before with it? I posted a question on A time in the EASY forum but could you help me with that as well?? Should I cut back on the morning A time tomorrow to see if I get a better nap? I'm at a loss.....

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2013, 22:07:44 pm »
Thank you Naomi...I am so confused...

Here was today:

Woke 7:00am (might have been a tad earlier but I was so tired this morning I cant remember!)
E 7:30
A 2 hr 38 m
S 9:38- 11:18 (BUT, he woke after 35 min and took him 20 mins to settle himself, then his sleep was fitful and he woke on and off every 5-10 mins until he gave up at 11:18)

E 11:30
A 2 hr (I cut it short since last nap was under an hour total)
S 1:20- 2:00 (refused to go back to sleep- fussing and then played until 2:40 when I finally got him out of crib)

E 3:20
A 1 hr 45m
S 3:45 (didnt actually fall asleep until 4:20 though) - 5:05

A
BT Planning on 7:30 ish (it's only 6:00pm here as of now)

I know that I am supposed to be cutting out the CN, but I figured he needed it since both naps were under an hour...
Where am I going wrong??

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2013, 06:04:52 am »
The fitful sleep of that first nap sounds a little bit like there's some discomfort there. Have you got any teething going on? If so, have you tried giving medication before naps and BT to see if that helps.

The second nap seems a bit UT - perhaps he was rested enough by the first nap even though it was fitful and needed a longer A time.

Can you remind me how old your DS is now?
~ Naomi ~

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2013, 10:39:08 am »
He will be 7 mo next week.

Do you think the first nap is OT or UT? Should I try for 3 hr A time like he used to do and see what happens?

There could be some discomfort, he is teething but we have been giving him those teething tablets before naps and bedtime.

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2013, 19:27:24 pm »
I am so confused... I don't know if he's OT or UT anymore

Today so far:

Woke at 6:55am
E 7:15
A 3 hrs
S 9:55- 10:25 (woke up but was happy; played in crib until 11:30 and he fell back to sleep for another 30 mins)

E 12:15
A 2 hr 40 min
S 2:45- 3:15 (woke a little fussy but not crying hard)

I am letting him stay in his crib in hopes he can fall back to sleep. I'm desperate for someone to help me fix his A time....was this morning UT which cased a short/restless nap and in turn made him OT by the afternoon nap, despite me cutting his A time a little short??

I feel so bad that I've messed up his A time and causing him to have these terrible mini naps. Ill post how the rest of today goes...

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2013, 19:28:24 pm »
I am so confused... I don't know if he's OT or UT anymore

Today so far:

Woke at 6:55am
E 7:15
A 3 hrs
S 9:55- 10:25 (woke up but was happy; played in crib until 11:30 and he fell back to sleep for another 30 mins)

E 12:15
A 2 hr 40 min
S 2:45- 3:15 (woke a little fussy but not crying hard)

I am letting him stay in his crib in hopes he can fall back to sleep. I'm desperate for someone to help me fix his A time....was this morning UT which cased a short/restless nap and in turn made him OT by the afternoon nap, despite me cutting his A time a little short??

I feel so bad that I've messed up his A time and causing him to have these terrible mini naps. Ill post how the rest of today goes...

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2013, 19:31:18 pm »
Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!

I would definitely increase the A times from the EAS you posted above - 3 hours would be about right but from what you were saying before he might need a little longer. Maybe go back up to 3 hours and hold for a few days and then post your EAS here if it's still not working. What do you think?

Posted at the same time as you.

I still think you need to stick with a longer A time - 2 hours is just too short for an LO of his age. Perhaps try 3 hours again tomorrow but medicate him before the nap to check for teething disruption. Have you started solids?
~ Naomi ~

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2013, 19:45:17 pm »
Do you think he was UT this morning? I always thought 25-35 min naps were considered OT but since he woke up happy and played for 40 minutes and then back to sleep, I'm thinking he was UT??

Should I try 3 hr 15 mins tomorrow morning (along with medicine) and see if that'll help him take a better nap?

Also, in regards to this afternoon nap- I only cut his A time because of the lousy am nap and he seemed OT when I put him down to sleep. He went back to sleep (thankfully) just a couple mins ago so I'm hoping he will do another 30 min!

Thoughts?

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2013, 19:46:59 pm »
And yes, we started solids. I give him solids 3x a day about 2 hours into A time. He's only taking a few ounces as of now

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2013, 20:07:59 pm »
It could well be that he was UT this morning, particularly as he woke happy and that A time is very short for his age.
~ Naomi ~

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2013, 20:33:19 pm »
Hi Mandy,
I see you're chatting to Naomi about A times so I'm not going to confuse things by talking about that.  Ok?
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.