Author Topic: Pleeeeaaasse can we go back to just milk?  (Read 1605 times)

Offline mandimoo

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Pleeeeaaasse can we go back to just milk?
« on: August 16, 2013, 13:38:24 pm »
LO 9mo with very little appetite for solids. 

On a good day it look like this......

6.30 wake up
7.00 porridge including 50ml formula
8.30 ff 120ml
9.00 nap 90min
10.30 wake
11.00 ff 120ml
12.30 lunch 1/3 jar puree,  slice or 2 apple,  couple of rice cakes.  I also give cooked green beans and carrots but she just plays with this.
1.30 ff 180ml
2.30 nap 90min
4.30 ff 180ml
7.00 ff 180ml
7.30/8.00 bed,  Sttn

She is kinda grizzly for feeding around 12.30,  so don't think I can put it back any to make her hungrier.

And reluctant to swap the teatime milk to solids,  as her appetite for it is so small.  I'm sure it's the milk getting her to STTN.

Don't know what to do,  but feel I am failing my little girl.

Offline mandimoo

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Pleeeeaaasse can we go back to just milk?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 14:10:53 pm »
Also,  I've noticed a lot (if not all?) give milk as very first feed,  so perhaps I need to do that instead of porridge 1st.  I'm always a bit frantic (as frantic as half asleep allows!) to get breakfast made before she melts down from hunger after sttn.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Pleeeeaaasse can we go back to just milk?
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 14:39:34 pm »
Hi there :)

I still give milk first thing and my DS is over 2.5yrs now.
If your routine with solids first works well for you I wouldn't change it but if you think you can prepare milk faster and have less stress over it then switch it around.

Do you try any other fruits or vegetables?  Have you tried some alternatives to rice cakes? Maybe oaty chews (a kind of sugar free flapjack) or sugar free muffins, pancakes, toast, crackers?  Maybe she would like something different as finger food?  Do you eat at the same time she does? I really believe in sitting down together for meals, humans are social eaters and seeing someone else eat and enjoy their food encourages others to do like wise, with babies it also gives them the confidence that what they are eating is safe and good to eat when they see mummy or daddy eating it.  Maybe at lunch you can prepare something for you both and try out more varied meals?
At dinner, you don't necessarily have to swap the milk for solids, you can again sit together and both have some solids and she can still have her milk too.
Otherwise I don't think you need panic yet. Do you know the saying "food before one is just for fun"? Solids at this point are about exploring different tastes, smells and textures (both in the hand and in the mouth), she might like to play with some varied foods before tasting them too.  Babies get a taste for solids at different times, mine took to solids in a big way early on but it is also perfectly fine for them to build up their solids intake a little later. There is still quite a long time before she is 1yo and a lot can happen in that time.

hope this helps
PS. you are not failing her!  Not feeding her anything would be failing her!  And you clearly care a lot or you wouldn't be here asking questions.  Don't be so hard on yourself xx