Author Topic: Evening cluster feeds and schedule.  (Read 1034 times)

Offline JE McBee

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 16, 2013, 21:47:42 pm »
Need help on the timing and order of our nightly routine. My baby is 8 wks and has been a great baby following the EASY routine since 4 wks.After her 6 wk growth spurt I stopped cluster feeding in the evening and we have had the below schedule in the afternoon/evening:
4pm-4:30 E
4:30-5 Limited A
5-6 cat nap
7 E
7:30 Bath and bed time routine
8pm down for the night
10-10:30 dream feed.

We got off our schedule for two days and ended up added an extra feeding in the evening- basically cluster feeding every 2 hrs instead of eating every 3. I kept the dream feed as well. Those nights my LO slept through the night. The reason we dropped the cluster feeding was I thought we needed to have her 6 wk growth spurt. Is this wrong? Should I continue with the cluster feeds to ensure she is sleeping through the night? If so I was thinking the following schedule but don't know when to feed for the last time of the night. I don't want her to get in the habit of eating before bed. I need to move bath to another time but not sure where. Suggestions needed on how to handle cluster feeds in the evening and how long to keep doing them and when to schedule our last feed before bed.
4pm E
4:30 A limited
5:15 S cat nap
6 E
7 bath and bed time routine
8 E -
8:30 bed.

Offline Violet's mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 26
Re: Evening cluster feeds and schedule.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 23:45:53 pm »
A couple of things - if it works go with it!  Your LO will change everything when you think you've got it down!

4, 6, and 8 cluster feed is pretty common.  You could try a bottle of EBM at the 6pm feed - from what I understand milk supply decreases as the day goes on so I would sometimes pump at 6 and 8 but give LO a bottle at 7pm and that held her over pretty well.

I also have seen some routines where LO goes to bed, then wakes for the 8pm feed, then goes straight back to bed.  I used that one for a long time and now at 6 months she grew out of it.

HTH!

**Tracy**

Offline Fiver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
Re: Evening cluster feeds and schedule.
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 21:03:55 pm »
As PP said, things change so quickly in the early months.  There are so many growth spurts and they happen so frequently that any routine is probably going to have to be tweaked every few weeks.

Is your LO showing cues to feed when you're cluster feeding in the evening?
*** Amanda ***