Author Topic: Tons of Wind! What makes this happen and what to do?  (Read 5223 times)

Offline ZacsMumme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Re: Tons of Wind! What makes this happen and what to do?
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2013, 19:00:17 pm »
:-* proudmummy - I hope it works. It always got the stubborn wind up on my boys 
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline roseola

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2013, 19:14:54 pm »
^^^ Me too! And I think the massage followed by the bump on the knee really help!!
Nini

Offline Proud Mammy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2013, 11:50:38 am »
Thanks guys, so far, so good with that. It seems to be helping lift some gas for him. Yay!!!

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2013, 19:36:07 pm »
:D
***Sara***

Offline Hendix

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2013, 07:51:48 am »
We had very similar problem with wind from birth and from 3 months got worse. baby started fussing when feeding, only taking small feeds, lots of trapped wind would not budge and became very restless after gong down for night.  Would wake and flip about like fish in discomfort sometimes every half hour/hour all through night.
I spoke to hvisitor and doc and advised water (doc said was colic at 4.5months).
Anyway I finally removed dairy completely from diet (despite doc advising absolutely do not cut dairy) and we have a different baby. I insisted we get referral to paed consultant and we finally seen one at 6 months by which time she said I'd done all the leg work.. We have milk protein intolerance and not all symptoms are same.
One thing I did find helped was to gently rub my hand from bottom to shoulder very slowly while baby snoozing after feed as she was relaxed and this would sometimes shift the wind. I could never or rarely shift wind when she w tense and she was always tense when in discomfort.
Also walking up and down stairs or walking fast around house helped early on but not always.
Hope this helps, it's hard when your lil one is clearly in discomfort.
Hope you get fixed.
Jx
P.s. we are EBF and still are at 7 months.. You could try soya or comfort milk (we turned out to be soya intolerant as well)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2013, 07:17:58 am »
Thanks for sharing Hendrix. I know it's always nice for us mamas to hear from someone who has btdt :)

The WHO do not recommend giving water to EBF before 6mo. If you do give it it needs to have been boiled (and cooled) to sterile it.

In the UK at least, I'm not sure about other countries,  the recommendations are to not give soya milk before 12mo because of concerns about its possible effects on general is development. So always do your own research and check with your doctor before offering alternative milks.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Hendix

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2013, 09:07:55 am »
Hi, sorry I meant formulas (soya or comfort) not milk  :) when I cut dairy I discovered how delicious soya lattes were and got v excited only to discover that me drinking them also upset my lo..
Also you are right about water which is why I thought it was odd my hv advised.. We did offer baby a tiny bit of boiled cooled water (this was at 4 months) and she vomited back up quite aggressively so did not go there again. My hv also mentioned tiny drop of prune juice or orange diluted which we didn't do. Our baby was not constipated, still pooing and the following week another hv advised not to gve juice...
Tbh all health people gave us completely wrong advice (water, juice, colic, do not cut dairy) and not once did someone mention intolerance.
It was through forums like this and other mums I seen the similarities. Thank heavens I did.
Thanks and good luck x

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2013, 11:01:08 am »
It is so hard when you get conflicting advice. That is why I think it is important to do your own research even before acting on the advice of a medical professional so you can ask the right questions :)
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline roseola

« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2013, 16:15:57 pm »
Hi all! It's been almost 2 weeks that DD has been taking Biogaia and I really do think there is some improvement. Still gassy, but less and definitely less extreme discomfort, she seems to get it out more. Also, BMs have changes to more thick and yellow. I'm not sure if this is just the normal progression of EBF'ing or it's from the probiotic.

Another thing that influenced me to give it directly to DD was because she not only got Abx in-utero at delivery, but in breast milk. I had a bad mastitis and was on 10 days of oral antibiotics, so I think all that had to alter her gut flora.

If I remember correctly from DS, in the USA they don't recommend water until 1 year.

Hendix - how long did you cut out dairy until you noticed improvement?
Nini

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2013, 18:45:46 pm »
Glad she seems to be improving.  The poos could just be normal progression.
*** Amanda ***

Offline Hendix

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2013, 19:49:04 pm »
 Hi there,
Change in poo went hand in hand with our tummy upsets and discomfort getting worse. Our poo went from every time she fed to suddenly once every 2/3 days and even then it was with help of vibrating chair. Her poo went quite gloopy too like congealed - tmi?!
I started trying to cut dairy but didn't remove completely and noticed a slight improvement in 4 days but once I completely cut dairy and started reading ingredients (milk and butter in everything!) I'd say 3 days I realised her pain had eased significantly.
I also looked and found little mucus in poo which is when I pushed doc for appt with paed consultant.
I also have very aggressive let down which is nightmare for gas, we still have gassy night wakes and little discomfort at bedtime but manageable.
One thing to mention if u do try cutting dairy is to take vitamin supp and calcium supp. I have almond milk and its actually nice and has calcium but only 20% of cows milk which baby needs.
Good luck and trust your instinct, you know your baby better than any doc just keep pressing if you feel not quite right.
These forum are saviour for helping and making you feel like you're not alone.
I found it all quite overwhelming knowing my lo wasn't right but Heath care and family thinking I was being over protective.
X

Offline roseola

« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2013, 00:40:38 am »
Is garlic or onions known to cause gas? Or tomatoes or tomato sauce? (We are Italian  ;D )
Nini

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2013, 07:14:55 am »
I think both onions and garlic can make LOs gassy...but this is an old wives tale ;) (no evidence to support as far as I am aware)
***Sara***

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2013, 19:07:54 pm »
Most things that are said to cause wind only do so in the BF mother ;)
*** Amanda ***