Author Topic: Delayed let-down  (Read 3550 times)

Offline Sarachan

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • BlogGoloso
Delayed let-down
« on: August 21, 2013, 06:47:48 am »
Hi all, I've a doubt about my milk supply.
My DD is 5 month and she is on a good 4/4 routine. It's a couple of weeks I feel my milk supply is changing. Up until 3 weeks ago my let-down was immediate, but it's a couple of weeks it started to delay and my DD now needs to suck very strong to get milk. About 2 weeks ago the let-down was after about 30 seconds, 1 week ago it was after about 1 minute and now it needs even 2 minutes and she obviously becomes frustrated  :-\. At the end she seems satisfied, so I think I have enough milk, but is this delayed let-down means my milk supply is decreasing  :'(?

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Delayed let-down
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 20:17:07 pm »
It can be normal as your baby gets older and doesn't mean your supply is dwindling no. If you want o you could express a bit to get the letdown before you put her on but it isn't necessary.

It can also be related to anxiety so worrying about it may actually be preventing you from getting the let down for a bit. Of course it's easier said than done but try to relax and trust that this is what you body was made to do.  :D

There is some great info here http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/letdown/
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Sarachan

• Showing Appreciation 0
    • BlogGoloso
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 08:48:12 am »
Thanks a lot Ali, it's very important to know that it can be normal.
 :-*

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 19:22:04 pm »
What Ali said.  Also you could do some breast compressions as she's nursing and that can help to illicit letdown too.
*** Amanda ***

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 20:59:59 pm »
Oh yes and here's a link with more info if you need it Breast compression

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 21:43:44 pm »
I had awful trouble with this with both of mine, they would end up so frustrated waiting for the let down. I took a Fenugreek supplement which helped A LOT because there was just more milk there, even before the letdown, so that helped the baby to chill a bit which helped me relax. Also nursing right after a nap - when it was dark and baby was drowsy and quiet - helped too.

Offline Mama2Athena

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 02:26:11 am »
You're not alone, I had this problem too with my DS right around 4 months of age.  At the beginning I had loads of milk and would squirt everywhere, but the flow kind of regulated itself around 3 months.  I found that just zoning out (like watching TV) while BF helped speed up the let down a bit.  The more relaxed I was, the faster the let down.

Offline cnaz

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 11
  • Mommy to three beautiful girls!
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 04:08:22 am »
You can also try breast massage, and (this is going to sound crazy but).... before feeding her lean completely forward and shake your breasts (like a shimmy?) I know sounds crazy! but it helps to bring down the milk by working with gravity.

As far as the breast massage, it can also help to bring the milk down easier so she will get milk quicker, and to maximize milk removal when feeding (along with breast compressions) to help increase milk supply. You would use your finger tips to start at the top of the breast and rub downward towards the areola. Work all around the breast like you could imagine it as the spokes of a bicycle wheel, going down each spoke. Just remember to support the breast on the opposite side. So if you are working on the top of the breast, use your other hand to hold underneath to provide support and so on. Go around 2-3 times. You will probably start to leak a little while doing this, but it will help eliminate her frustrations because milk will be there right away for her to drink.

Offline Sarachan

• Showing Appreciation 0
    • BlogGoloso
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 18:24:19 pm »
Thank you all very much! I've just tried with the breast massage and the let-down arrived sooner!  :D

I took Fenugreek and I had more milk too, but it caused me a lot of intestinal problems, so I'd prefer not to take it again. Maybe the reason for this delayed let-down could be that I stopped taking the Fenugreek about one month ago.

I absolutely have also to try to shake my breasts, at least it will make me laugh and relax before feeding  ;D

Thanks again!!!  :-* :-* :-*

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 19:10:07 pm »
Maybe the reason for this delayed let-down could be that I stopped taking the Fenugreek about one month ago.

I might go at least part of the way to explaining it.
*** Amanda ***

Offline cnaz

• BW Aficionado
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 21:54:59 pm »
Oh good! Glad to hear it helped to do the breast massage. You can also eat oatmeal to increase milk supply. Eat a bowl everyday! I had good success with oatmeal. Some do and some don't. Garlic and ginger in moderation can also help. Next would be domperidone or maxeran but you would need a prescription.

Offline Sarachan

• Showing Appreciation 0
    • BlogGoloso
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 16:52:18 pm »
Oh good! Glad to hear it helped to do the breast massage. You can also eat oatmeal to increase milk supply. Eat a bowl everyday! I had good success with oatmeal. Some do and some don't.
Oh, thanks a lot, I will try with the oatmeal. But could you tell me how to prepare it? It's not very common here in Italy...
Thanks!  :-*

Offline cnaz

• BW Aficionado
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2013, 22:00:53 pm »
 I actually would just buy the instant oatmeal that we have here in Canada. All I did was add water and microwave for 1.5 minutes. Not sure how to prepare it when it is just the oats. Google maybe? :)

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 18:26:12 pm »
I just add 250ml milk to 40g oats and microwave for 90seconds, stir and microwave for another 30 secs. You can use water instead if you prefer. Soaking it in the milk or water overnight makes it more creamy.