Author Topic: When did you stop the bottle?  (Read 4394 times)

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • Gail
When did you stop the bottle?
« on: August 23, 2013, 19:16:05 pm »
My DD had her 12month check today and the HV told me to stop all bottles as just use a cup. It seems a bit harsh as she still has a morning and BT bottle.

When did you drop all the bottles and how did you do it?

My beautiful spirited little angel

My angel baby girl

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
Re: When did you stop the bottle?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 19:22:14 pm »
with both boys we stopped at 12 months when we made the transition from formula to milk. 

can your lo drink from a cup?  I just made the bottle gradually smaller every three days

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 19:36:29 pm »
I stopped the morning bottles first, just gave breakfast first and then milk in a sippy with a snack mid morning. DD's bedtime bottle went at about 18 months, I just swapped it for a sippy and she was fine with it. DS however had his  bedtime bottle until 2.5, he was really attached to it!

It is better to get rid of bottles as soon as you can but providing they are not walking around with them in their mouths all day it's not a huge problems. With the bedtime bottle make sure teeth are cleaned before sleep!

Laura

Offline brummum

• Showing Appreciation 56
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 19:44:30 pm »
Morning bottle was dropped at about 13 months but that was of his own accord, he just decided he wasn't that interested! Bedtime bottle is starting to be refused at 19 months but I know little ones who have had the bedtime bottle until after 2.

Offline TB9

• Showing Appreciation 60
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 19:51:34 pm »
Switched morning/pre nap bottle to a sippy cup around 16/18months, then bedtime bottle was switched to a sippy cup when she transitioned to her big girl bed at 2. 

Offline Mama2Athena

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 20:09:12 pm »
We weaned my older son from the bottle around 14 months and stopped completely at 15.  With my DD, she was never a big drinker and pretty much weaned herself off the bedtime bottle at 11 months - we kept offering but she would either push it away or drink 1-2 oz.  We kept the morning bottle until 13 months because I was worried she wasn't drinking enough and wanted her to start the day off with some fluids.  By this point, however, she was already very good with the sippy.  So when her daycare teachers confirmed that she was doing just fine with the sippy during the day, we just stopped altogether and never looked back.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 20:12:39 pm by Mama2Athena »

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 20:35:06 pm »
 We started with a cup at around 10 mos....gave up daytime bottles shortly afterwards. Morning and night remained for a few more months. And I have to say, that night/bedtime bottle hung around til she was about 2.5.   Always in my arms...(she never was a kid who walked around with a bottle).  She may have even been closer to 3 for that last bedtime one...? No regrets....I loved every second, and she is fine. Perfect teeth.  ;)  ;D

I think the fact that bottles were always taken while sitting with one of us, and not walking around the house, it wasn't as hard for her to give them up.  Bink was another story...but bottles weren't too hard!

Enjoy your baby...they are small just once.   :)  Do what you feel is best.

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 20:55:24 pm »
DS dropped his quite naturally at about 18 mths. He was only on 4oz at bedtime by then anyway, and one day I said his bottle was mucky and to have a cup instead.

Megan was at least 2.5, and again it was just the bedtime bottle, but by this point I had realised that babyhood/ toddlerhood is too brief to worry about this stuff. But equally her bottles were so worn out, and I wasn't about to buy new ones for a 2.5 year old. So they went in the bin!!

Only ever bedtime milk, and neither had a dummy, so I couldn't see the big deal really  :-\.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 22:13:23 pm »
I switched the BT bottle to a sippy cup of milk and a small supper snack at 12 months. It took less than 2 weeks to wean, not a single tear, no loss of BT cuddles, no stress or upset (let me know if you would like guidance).
The morning bottle was slightly more difficult and I tried to switch it a few times between 12 and 13 months eventually switching to a cup with a straw at 13 months.  His morning milk was kept as the large milk drink of the day.

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 23:35:24 pm »
We dropped the morning bottle at 13 months, and now at 16 months he still gets a BT bottle.  All others he pretty much dropped on his own, so I have no issue still keeping the BT one :)

Offline Emami

• Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 23:51:46 pm »
Mine was one who would chug water from a cup but absolutely thought all milk should be in a bottle and definitely still had it after 12 months.  I would give her milk every couple of weeks in a cup to see what she did with it and she never drank it so I kept the bottles (2 a day) and just kept offering cups periodically.  She was around 19 months when she randomly decided it was ok, drank a whole cup of milk and never had another bottle!
Emma

Offline ~Lori~

• Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 03:47:38 am »
Jonas is my 3rd and he still gets his night bottle at 16 mths.  I was done with bottles with my other 2 between 12-14 mths.  But Jonas won't EVER drink milk in his sippy, only water in his cup.  Even if i warm milk in a cup, NO WAY!  I'm not too worried!
Mom to:

DD--Touchy, then Textbook, 2006
DS1--Spirited, 2009
DS2--Textbook, 2012
DD2--Angel, 2014

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2013, 15:58:38 pm »
I'm so glad to read all this, the HV makes you feel bad for still giving a bottle but she is only a baby and she usually doesn't really want a morning bottle unless she has had a bad night. I'm trying so hard to give her milk in a cup during the day but she wont take it, she will drink water happily out of one but not milk. And as for her BT bottle, thats part of her routine, as soon as she see's me with it she goes to the stairs to go up to bed, she never walks around with a bottle ever.

Thanks ladies i feel much better now x

Creations how did you go about weaning it in 2 weeks x

My angel baby girl

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2013, 16:08:52 pm »
If you have a read of this thread
morning bottle still needed?
The info is there plus a kind of journal of another BW mummy going through the BT bottle wean (also pain free).  Just scroll down for my posts, the first is reply #6 and more detailed info given in reply #14

The wean involves still taking the a bottle up to your usual place initially so LO sees no change in routine.  By the time the milk is gone you will be carrying a cup of water which your LO will recognise as the cue to head upstairs, and you can still give lots of cuddles pre bed, just without the bottle.
If you want to a hand to hold through a wean just shout.  You should do what you feel is right for you and your LO.
xx

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2013, 10:56:02 am »
Just read through the post and it looked quite pain free. My only worry is that she has never been much of a morning bottle girl, she will really only take 2-4oz  or some days she is quite happy to wait for her breakfast. So i'm not sure if she would be getting enough dairy if we dropped it?

My angel baby girl