Author Topic: Sleep Sheep for Newborn?  (Read 2023 times)

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
Sleep Sheep for Newborn?
« on: August 26, 2013, 17:48:31 pm »
Hello all,
  My DS is just a smidge over two weeks old and the last three days I think he's beginning to do some habitual waking during the day.  He used to sleep HARD for 2 hour stretches during the day, and he still sleeps a good 2-3 hours at night but the last three days he's not making it longer than 30 minutes in his daytime naps before he needs to be soothed back to sleep. 
My sister swears by the Sleep Sheep, a plush Sheep toy that you can place in the room or strap to the crib and it plays white noise for 25 or 45 minutes, however I'm hesitant to use it because I don't want it to become a crutch.  The lactation consultant said not to use a pacifier until he's 4 weeks old so that's not an option.  I'm swaddling him, though with arms out as the nurses and my midwife said that's the recommendation now.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I suppose it's not a crucial situation because he's still sleeping well at night but bad habits are hard to break and I'd rather head this one off. 

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: Sleep Sheep for Newborn?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 20:58:16 pm »
I love white noise but I wouldn't recommend the Sleep Sheep. They may have changed it I guess, but when I had one for my son, the sound stopped really abruptly so the sound switching OFF would actually wake him up. I just play white noise on a loop on an mp3 player. It's not considered to be a prop because you can just turn the volume down.

Of course it's you rpreference re the paci, but both of mine were breastfed (the youngest still is) and both had a paci before they were two weeks old because they had SUCH a strong need to suck. I don't see the point of swaddling with arms out? Surely the point of swaddling is to hold the little arms so the startle reflex doesn't wake them? I'd try white noise OR a full swaddle OR a paci and see how you get on. Although, if he's not swaddled, he'd probably knock a paci right out of his mouth.

It could also be a routine thing. How long is he awake before you put him down for a nap?

Offline *happy*

• Showing Appreciation 55
  • blessed to have found BWing.xxx
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 21:02:35 pm »
The sleep sheep drove me mad cause it was
on a timer!
I got a great white noise machine that keeps going&
i love it!

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 21:05:55 pm »
We had a sleep bear with a similar thing and I found the batteries ran out really quickly. E still loves white noise if she's teething or OT but we don't have it all the time. I found a really great white noise app for iPad/I player that you can set to play as long as you like and also has a 30min quiet down to switch off so no sudden stop.
~ Naomi ~

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 14
  • Gail
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 21:09:36 pm »
Buttonbobs can you tell me what your app is called. We love white noise but one which would shut itself off would be great.

Sorry to hijack x

My beautiful spirited little angel

My angel baby girl

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 21:14:53 pm »
We just use a white noise machine on continuously. My 5 & 7 year olds still use theirs. As for the soother, I always started that right away. The ped at the hospital who discharged E actually encouraged me to use it as she was thumb sucking already.

I'm puzzled about the swaddling too...I only ever swaddled like that for S as she was a tummy sleeper and needed her arms free. Did they say why that is recommended?
Heidi

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 21:15:25 pm »
Sure it's white noise by TMSOFT. There is one iPhone app which is also available on the iPad or a separate iPad app which is slightly more expensive. Lots of noise options and quite flexible. Doesn't use too much battery life either :)
~ Naomi ~

Offline lauradj

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 20:33:21 pm »
Thank you so much all!  Today was another very rough morning and last night wasn't very smooth either.  I've just put DS down for his 1:30pm nap and swaddled his arms in.  At the hospital the nurses said they leave the arms free so they can move things away from their faces if need be, I guess if they roll on their sides?  However my husband and I discussed it this morning and remember seeing some DVD about the 5S's for difficult sleepers and in there the man did a full swaddle and used a pacifier.  I think we'll be implementing the pacifier tomorrow if the difficult naps continue.
He's definitely in a routine, I did that immediately so I'm not sure what's causing the issues.  I don't keep him up very long after feeding because a) he's so little and b) he's yawning by the time I finish his diaper change.  I feel it might be a combination of not enough activity and then too much stimulation.  It's a little confusing right now.  If the full swaddle works during this nap I think I'll try a bit more activity after feeding and then full swaddle for naps.  Any feedback? 

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 21:03:09 pm »
Sounds like a good plan. If you want to, why don't post your routine on the EASY forum so we can take a look?
~ Naomi ~

Offline lauradj

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 21:04:24 pm »
Excellent idea Buttonbobs, will do!