Author Topic: NF and early wake up help please!!!  (Read 848 times)

Offline nickylab

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 27, 2013, 13:33:36 pm »
Ok my lo is 8 1/2 months old and EBF
We have started sleep training which is going ok. He is putting himself to sleep for naps and bedtime. It varies on when he wakes. But for most part he wakes at around 11pm to eat and recently has started going back to sleep on his own instead of nursing and then he wakes around 1ish. No matter when I feed him or when he goes to bed he ALWAYS wakes at 5am. I had been feeding him at this time and he sometimes would go back to sleep. Last 2 mornings I have been letting him fuss/play and he goes a whole hour of doing this so I either get up and feed him and he stays up or he will lay back down for bit. I just don't know how to handle this. Do I let him fuss/play till certain time and he will enventually stop waking??? I don't believe he is always hungry because sometimes if I feed him at 11 he wakes around 330 and I feed him but he still wakes at 5. Here is our over all schedule.
5am nurse (sometimes goes back to sleep but I always lay him back down)
6ish wake up
8am nurse
830 fruit
9 nap
1030 wakeup and nurse
12 solids
115 nurse
130 nap br /> 3ish wakeup
4 nurse
6 solids
630 nurse or bottle of breast milk
Bath, book, bed
Usually asleep by 730
11 sometimes I nurse
130ish nurse

Also I don't want to nurse him to sleep so when he wakes in the night and I feed him he falls mostly asleep. What do I do about that?
Anyone's suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am ready to have a baby that sleeps through night and not an EWU time. Please please help!!! Thanks

Offline PaulsMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
Re: NF and early wake up help please!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 00:03:18 am »
Hugs for the nw's and ew.  Here's some info on ew's Early Morning Wakings. Sometimes Los just stop ew on their own but usually it means a routine change is needed.

Regarding your Los routine, you might want to push out morning nap so that its occurring 3.5 hrs after wu.  I would gradually increase the morning A by 10-15 min increments and see how he does.  The mid day A is alright (perhaps a bit long). 

Do you have black out blinds, white noise on, etc?  In the morning our bodies are progamed to sleep more lightly and thus external stimuli can wake us.  So try to block out the stimulation as best as you can. 

With regards to night feeds, I think it depends on whether or not he's hungry at night.  If he's hungry then you need to increase his DT calories so that he eats enough throughout the day and he doesn't need a night feed.  But in the interim he will need a nf.  If feeding at night is just habit, then here's some good info on ways to wean the nf. 
How we stopped the night feeds with a 9 month old.
Gentle Removal Plan

HTH