Author Topic: 6 months sleep regression?  (Read 1554 times)

Offline CAMama

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
6 months sleep regression?
« on: August 27, 2013, 16:58:04 pm »
I am new to this board, so i hopes will describe my child properly in the question.

I have a boy who just turn 6 months. He has been sleeping through the night since he was 3 months old (7-7 with a dream feed)
He is formula fed (BFing was extremely painful for me due to non stop engorgement)
He takes 2-3 naps a day. 45min -2.5 hours long

Daily routine
E 7
S8:30-9
E 10:30  -11
S varies a bit depending on how long the first nap was as he can only stay awake for 2 hours or so.
E2:30-3
S not every day
E 6:30-7
S7-8
E 10

Activity: using his walker, learning to crawl and sit, bath.

He usually is on the 4/4 routine but occasionally he gets hungry earlier than 4 hours. I feed him 6-7 oz per feed, but he has always have digestive issues and if he eats too much he will throw up :(
Also, if i feed him with slow flow nipple, he might not eat his usual 6-7 so we switched to medium flow, but that causes more throwing up :(

At around 4 months old he went through a sleep regression that lasted about 10 days and stopped just as suddenly as it started.
Now about 4 weeks ago (at a little over 5 months), he started waking up 1-2 times per night. He doesn't cry, but tries to exercise his "push ups" as he is learning to crawl.
Although he is not exactly crying, when i pat his back, and give him pacifier, he is trying to go back to sleep but SOMETHING makes him jerk up and try the push ups again.
I have to mention that patting his back while he lays in his crib works great for nap sleep during the day.

For the last 2 nights he also cried his "I'm hungry" cry so i fed him and he ate 6 oz both times. And his regular breakfast at 7.

We tried "wake up to sleep" and that helped a bit, but his wake up times are not very consistent.
Last night he woke up at 2:30 am and the night before at 4:30 am.

He doesn't have a love, and really shows no special interest in a particular toy. He seems to like them all :)

We started solids but no cereal.  I stopped for a while to see if that would affect his sleep but it didn't.

Also, i think the current sleep regression started with teething, and then continued with learning to sit/crawl. He can sit tripod style now, but he hasn't started to crawl yet.

I have read that the sleep regression can last 2-6 weeks. We are going to hit 5 weeks on Sunday, and i am really worried that it will  never stop :(

Thank you,

« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 17:04:32 pm by CAMama »

Offline PaulsMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
Re: 6 months sleep regression?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 01:18:14 am »
Hi there and welcome to BW!  Hugs for the nw's. 

I think that there are a bunch of things that are affecting your DS sleep. Around this age, babies will start to drop their CN as you have been doing.  Here's some info on the 3-2 transition
All about the 3-2 transition- 5/6 months.  I've notice that his A time is quite short for his age.  Most 6 mo olds are up for 2.5 hrs or so (Average A times- BOOKMARK ME! ).  So to be able to drop the CN he will need to have a longer A.  If he's struggling with a 2 hr A, I would increase his A by 5-10 min every 3-4 days so he has time to get used to the longer A.

As you mention he has been hungry at night for the past few nights so he's likely having his 6 mo gs.  This should calm down in a few days.  During this time, feed him and put him back go bed. 

Developmental milestones will affect sleep.  Babies will practice their skills at night until they have perfected them. Unfortunately you do have to ride this out at night (you can do the put down part of PU/PD if he's sitting up) but try not to pick up unless you need to.  Try to settle him as much as possible in his crib.  During the day, give him plenty of time to practice so he will stop practicing at night. 

Wrt his digestive issues, does he have reflux or is he just a bit spitty?  Is he arching at all when he eats?  Also, does he have any food allergies or intolerances?  Both of those can cause bubs to spit up.  Here's some more info:
Reflux 101 - General reflux information
Does my LO have food intolerances?
Alternative diagnoses and Reflux mimics.

HTH

Offline CAMama

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 14:06:28 pm »
Thank you so much!!!

Offline CAMama

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 03:01:39 am »
Thank you again!
It really helped. He is back to sleeping till 6-7 am!

Offline PaulsMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 11:40:22 am »
 :D. Yay!  Glad things are working out!