Author Topic: 10 month old has been waking at night  (Read 4810 times)

Offline bohbizzie

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Almost 6 month old (now 8 month old) has been waking at night
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2013, 23:50:48 pm »
I guess I should also say that he's now 9 months, which I think is around the time SA could kick in?

Offline PaulsMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2013, 12:49:06 pm »
Hugs.  That's really rough.  SA could be a culprit here as well as some discomfort.  I'm on my phone at the moment but I will forward you the link for dealing with SA.  Or if one of the mods could do it, that would be great!

Now if he's pulling up in the crib then I would let him practice during the day so he an figure out how to get himself back down safely.  To do this try putting some toys in his crib during the day so he can play ( remove the toys for sleep time though). 

Do you have a humidifier running?  It might help to ease his cough.  Fx he gets better soon. Illness can cause sleep issues.

Offline PaulsMom

« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2013, 08:06:20 am »
Sorry Hun for not getting back to you....  I've been crazy busy at work.  How are things going?

Offline Jodes112

• Showing Appreciation 42
  • You got this! 🙌🏻
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2013, 08:19:07 am »
Hi,

Just thought i would pop on with a suggestion! Do you think he could hanfle an A increase? Its possible that he is not getting enough A time in the day which is why he is waking at night. At 8 months im sure the average A is 3-3.5hrs.

Dd wakes in the night and has an EW and i know she needs an A push. At 8 months dhe was doing around 3hr 15 A between naps. So for example she would wake at 6.30am, nap 1 at 9.45 wake at around 11 and then nap 2 2.30 and wake around 3.30-3.45, then bed at 7/7.15.

What do you think? X
Jody
 xx

Offline bohbizzie

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2013, 15:14:36 pm »
hi PaulsMom and Jodes112,

Things have gotten much better! In fact since I last posted for the past 3 nights he's slept from 8-7. Go figure. I started using the humidifier and he's almost all good, so I'm thinking it must have been the flu. He's also started properly crawling and has learnt to pull himself up to standing (and is now trying to climb from his cot)...a lot of activity for a little guy to handle!

I'll be sure to also take on the pointer about extending his A time once he starts EW...he's actually at  9 months now so He can actually last 3.5hrs if we're out and about and then takes a nice long nap after.

Offline PaulsMom

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2013, 19:09:15 pm »
Yay, great update!

Offline bohbizzie

• Showing Appreciation 1
10 month old standing in crib and refusing to sleep
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2014, 23:00:38 pm »
hi guys

I thought id check in on something as I fear that this might be the sign of things to come and I want to adequately prepare for it.

So the past month has definitely been a good sleep month, with our little one STTN for about 10.5-12 hours every night. Yay!

Past few nights have been a bit difficult.
Early this morning though he decided to keep standing in his crib refusing to go back to sleep. Typically he's gone back to sleep by himself with a bottle of water or if I go in and cuddle him for a bit and put him back down. He's been up since 530am (it's now 7am) refusing to go back to sleep.

I've gone in to put him lying down quite a few times since, cuddled and patted him for about 5 mins till calm a few times, but he remains sleepy but not sleeping.

I should add as well that he's been able to stand while holding onto something for more than a month so this isn't really a new skill, and he can actually sit himself back down (which is what he sometimes does when he wakes up at night, and I see him on the video monitor).

I guess I just wanted to get some tips on what I should or shouldn't be doing? If he is intermittently whining but not full on crying should I just leave him? And when I go in to attend to him what should I be doing? And what should I be looking out for in the next few days which could serve as an indication of cutting back S time during the day, or if you guys have any suggestions on rejigging the schedule?

Our EASY is something like this now:

730 - WU and Bottle
9 - E (solids)
1045/11-1215/1230 - S
1230 - E (bottle)
2 - E (solids)
3 - 430 - S
6 - E (solids)
730/8 (depending on when he wakes up last) - E (bottle) then S

Thanks in advance! :)

Offline PaulsMom

Re: 10 month old has been waking at night
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2014, 01:55:48 am »
Yay for STTN but boo for the ew's.  So he's 10 mo old now?  Couple of thoughts...  He may be needing more A time in the am so you might want to bump his first A out.  He might be able to handle closer to 4 hrs A.  Also, 3 hrs of DT sleep might be a bit much so some moms start to cap naps in preparation for the 2-1 transition.  How does that sound?

Offline bohbizzie

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2014, 02:37:51 am »
yep he just turned 10 months 2 days ago

Thanks for the suggestions!

will prob try bumping his A up to 3h30 or 3h45.

Can I ask when the 2-1 transition usually takes place? And how would I cap naps...do I just go in and wake him at, say the 1hr15 mark? I'm afraid that he'll be cranky and that will spoil his mood for the rest of the afternoon. Or should I cap 1 nap first (maybe the afternoon nap) and leave the morning one as-is? Or the other way around?

Offline PaulsMom

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2014, 02:04:49 am »
The 2-1 can occur as early as 12 mo but is usually around 15 mo or so.  It depends on the bub but they usually have to handle more than 4.5 hrs of A time.  So if the day is 12 hrs long that would be 4.5 hrs or so before a 2 hr nap and then another 4.5 hrs until bt. So your lo is still a few months from the 2-1 transition but prior to the 2-1, the days become too long if your lo is taking 2 x 1.5 hr naps and has an A time that's close to 4 hrs.  What I found with my ds is that he took a better am nap so I pushed that one back as his A time increased and then his pm nap was shorter (like a cat nap).  Other moms will cap the am nap (say to 30-45 min) and then do a shorter mid day A and then have a longer pm nap in the early afternoon.  In terms of how to decide which method to use, I'd follow your lo's lead.  So if the am nap is good, then aim to maintain that.  Also note that bt can also move a bit so with two long naps a later bt may make sense but when you start to cap naps or when a nap is dropped then an early bt may be needed.  HTH
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 02:06:26 am by PaulsMom »