Author Topic: 3 month old starting waking in night  (Read 1027 times)

Offline Gracie1982

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 29, 2013, 09:02:30 am »
Hi all this is my 1st time on here so here is but background!Jacob was 3.5 weeks early an weighed 4 pound 14 he was healthy and delivery normal.  Since being born he has developed severe reflux an colic,we have him on meds for reflux an comfort milk for colic and things are much better.

We have been establishing a bedtime routine for 2 nights an so far all is good,but he has starred waking in the night sometimes for food but sometimes for comfort!!we know he can sleep through as he has gone From half 10-half 7 before now!!

Should we be waking to feed later so he sleeps through or will this just happen naturally!!He doesn't always have big appetite due to reflux so sometime has only 3oz some feeds he has 5oz!HV said this normal!As a 1st time mum my mind is full of thoughts on what to do!!We can't compare him to other babies as no one we known ever had a baby with reflux an colic!

Any help would b appreciated!!

Thanks

Offline PaulsMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
Re: 3 month old starting waking in night
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 11:15:32 am »
Hi there and welcome to BW!

Lucky you to have such a wee baby STTN!  It's pretty normal to still have to feed 3-4 month olds during the night.  Given his background, it could be a number of things.  I was wondering if you could post his routine in this format.

Wake up
E 7:00
A
S 8:30 to 10:00
E 10:05
A
S 11:30 to 1:00
Etc.

My first thought is hunger and its what I would address first in such a young baby.  Young babies have so many gs that this is usually the culprit.  Given that he has reflux, has his meds been adjusted?  As he grows, he will need some adjustments so if he's getting more spitty or is arching,etc  during or after feeds, then I'd go back to the dr.  Seeing his routine will give us some clues as to why he might be waking during the night.

Offline Gracie1982

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 12:36:32 pm »
Hi thanks for response!his reflux seems under control at the min it was his colic that was more of a problem!!

Ok so here goes with routine

W 7.30
F 8.00
Play 8.30
N 9/9.30
W 10.30
Play
F 12.00
N 1.00
W 2.00
Play
F 3.00/4.00
N till 5
Play
Bath/story/bottle 7.00/7.30

It's only an estimation as sometimes he goes 3 hrs between feeds and others it's 4!HV said this is normal and he will let us know when hungry!!I am thinking of dream feeding him when I go to bed at half 10?!

Thanks

Offline PaulsMom

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 12:03:16 pm »
I always figure that babies can't tell time so aim for 3 hrs between feeds but if its 4 hrs, then that's ok if the bub is not complaining! 

I would try an earlier df so yes, around 10:30 would work.  The A times are quite long for a 3 mo old so you might want to try a shorter A 1.5 to 1.75 hrs.  He might be accumulating OT, which can cause nw's.  other than that, I'd feed at night if its been 3-4 hrs since his last feed and other wise try to settle without food.  Does that sound like a plan?

Offline Gracie1982

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 10:28:21 am »
Hi yeah we trying to establish a nap time routine at the min he has taken to his bedtime routine really well and the last 3 nights he has slept trough!!thank u for response its all just trial an error at the min x

Offline PaulsMom

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 11:55:27 am »
Yay for STTN!  Naps can get funny around this age but try to be consistent with things.